Author Topic: Female in season question  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Female in season question
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:44:26 pm »
Sierra has finally gone into her first heat.  Can anyone tell me how long this is supposed to last?  We have one of those little diaper thingys on her and frankly, she hates it.  Being a woman I can understand how she feels, :) but she pulls it off quite qeasily.  The first one we got she literally chewed off of herself the first night.  Then I got one that looks like it would be much more comfortable.  She chewed a hole in that before she figured out a quick way of getting it off.  Now, it wouldn't be so bad if she didn't chew apart the little pads you have to put on it.  It seems like the dirtier they are, the more she likes them.  Last night she forced me into a game of keep away while I tried to clean up.  She was winning until Jeff yelled "Drop it" in his most booming voice.  She slid to a stop, dropped it and then slunk away.

Anyway, it's miserable enough dealing with this sort of thing as a person for a week.  How long must I deal with this with her?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Female in season question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:17:55 pm »
I took an old pair of denim overalls, cut off the legs and would slide them on ChiChi over the diaper.  She couldn't get a good enough hold on them, to pull them off and she had to leave it alone.  The suspenders I attached to her collar, so she was stuck til I took them off.  That way I didn't have to separate her from Hamlet.  He could do his thing to his heart's content, but couldn't get through the denim.  You do have to have 2 or 3 pair of overalls and wash them daily, but it seemed to me that the heat ended quicker when I left them together.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:24:28 pm »
Well, I tried the scratch her back thing and she immediately did what you described.  Great.  Let's just pray my sweet, air-headed step-daughters don't just let her out and close the door because they are too lazy to leash her.  Magic is not neutered and I will kill them if they let Sierra get pregnant because they are too lazy to do what I ask.

Thanks, holly.  As always, you are a wealth of information.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:40:41 pm »
Well, I tried the scratch her back thing and she immediately did what you described.  Great.  Let's just pray my sweet, air-headed step-daughters don't just let her out and close the door because they are too lazy to leash her.  Magic is not neutered and I will kill them if they let Sierra get pregnant because they are too lazy to do what I ask.

Ouch! I am sweating from just thinking how easy a huge mistake can be made.  :-\ If I were you I would tape her bottom  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:11:38 pm »
I wonder if Mama2Many is around????  I remember she dealt with Yiska going into heat with Yukon around, and I believe she had a system, or at least didn't have any mishaps.  If she's around maybe she could offer some advice in dealing with Sierra's horney time with an unaltered male in the house?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:59:08 pm »
Well, the good thing is, Sierra stays in the house and Magic stays outside.  So the only way something can happen is if she is let out unleashed.  I have no problem standing in the yard til she's done doing her thing, but my girls are 11 and 17.  Asking them to take her out on a leash is like asking them to push needles under their fingernails.  I know it's the age and I remember I was like that, but it's ridiculous!  I can count on Jeff, but I don't feel I can count on the girls to do what I ask.  Sierra always wants to run to Magic first thing to say hello and he'd be on her in a second.  They don't understand how fast everything can happen, and by then it's too late.  I'm going to be a worried mess til she is out of heat.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:03:20 pm »
Agh! Where's a chastity belt when ya need 'em???  ;D  ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:12:22 pm »
Is she going to be spayed after this heat?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:11:29 am »
I have a male and female intact.  As your male stays outside, other than when they may both be outside it should be much easier.

I have to kennel one or the other at all times after the 1st week.  And with my female I can never tell when she's done so they are usually separated for almost 4 wks just to be safe.  I was always told 1 wk of bleeding, 1 wk of standing heat when they can get pregnant, and 1 wk of bleeding again.  Well, Posey has never started bleeding after her standing heat so we go with the safe route.  And usually Posey is the one that's kenneled. I feel bad but Nigel will just scream and scream (when she's in heat) if he's in and she's out.  And if you've never heard a rat terrier scream, believe me.........you don't want to.  I'll use my friend's term (please no one get offended).  "baby in a blender" sound.

Have you tried putting boys/mens underwear or boxers on her?  Turned backwards so her tail can go thru the crotch hole?  It won't work on mine b/c she has a docked tail, and she is submissive so the tail is down alot and they slide right off.  But I've heard of other people using them and they work great.

Good luck!