Author Topic: newf pup shows aggression, help  (Read 3353 times)

lookingfornewf

newf pup shows aggression, help
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:14:21 pm »
Clifford is almost 5 months now.I have had him for almost 3 months. Annie our 8 year old Jack Russell has been jealous of him since I brought him home. When ever she has a toy he wants it and vice versa. They play a lot of tug a war with the toys. Once every couple of days Annie goes too far and give an aggressive growl at Clifford. He ignores her, I yell at her and put her in her crate. Last night they had a rawhide bone they were sort of sharing. One would drop it and the other would grab it. This went back and forth a few times and then Annie growled at him and he growled back. I don't know why, it happened so quick I don't know if she got a little nip in or why this time. I yelled at them and put them both in their crates. I don't know what to do to make sure this doesn't happen. No they didn't do anything to each other, but since it was angry on both sides don't know what they would do if I wasn't there. I don't want the 2 of them ever fighting. They both know I'm boss, but are obviously having trouble determining their pecking order.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Clifford does start obedience in a couple of weeks. It's mostly for the socialization. He has only interacted a couple of times with other dogs, outside of walks where they just sniff and move on. Play dates are harder to organize in the winter when it is very very very cold out here.[/font]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:15:37 pm by Clifford the big dog »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: newf pup shows aggression, help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:44:25 pm »
I hate to say it, but maybe let them figure it out themselves while Clifford is still small enough to not really hurt your Jack Russel.  She has seniority over him in the family, and if you don't allow her to assert herself now before he get's really big, she could end up getting hurt (even unintentionall y) if she tries to assert herself when he's bigger and older.  You (like you already said) are clearly the Alpha in thier eyes, but like so many on here will attest the dogs will need to sort out thier own rankings themselves.  But that's just me, there are alot of actually qualified people on here who know alot more.  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:32:11 pm »
it sounds to me the russel is being the aggreser and he will put his foot down and lay down the law if she does get to unruly with him and he is the boss.
or going to be the boss.
i would NEVER allow mine to SHARE a rawhide, or any bone or anything edible, esp rawhides or bones they should be in seperate crates and , when done allowed out and unfinished pieces picked up and out of site, it sounds to me a book book to read is people pooches and problems, written by one of the monks of new skete, you could use some education as we all can about canine behaviors and anticipating them.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:07:20 pm »
I agree that it sounds like the JRT is being the aggressor.  I would let them work it out, while your puppy is still young enough not to hurt the JRT.  I don't separate mine when they eat anything.  They each have their own bowl, but Max tends to clean up whatever anyone else leaves behind.  As far as bones and rawhides, they swap them up as they eat.  They all sit together for biscuits and treats.  They know not to take anything away from the other dogs, only my hubby and I can do that, but if one of them leaves it, it's free game.  There has been some squabbling between Max and Jake, they are both between 1.5 and 2 and maturing, but we let them work it out.  They will take care of it themselves, just give them time.  Good luck.   Kathy 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:47:22 pm »
I am bo no means an expert, but I can offer some of my observations with Sierra. She is by far the dominant dog in my house.  When we first brought Sierra home, Magic immediately rolled her onto her back, straddled her and bared his teeth.  She yelped, but not because Magic hurt her.  She was probably just scared.  Anyway, as soon as she yelped, Magic became Mr. Lovey Dovey and started licking her as if to say, "Ok, you got my point.  We're good now."  Eventually all that changed as she became the dominant one.  All the while, as hard as it was not to run and rescue my puppy each time, I was so terrified she and Magic would hurt each other, she and Magic worked out their places in our pack and their ranks have never come into play since.  Even with food.  If she goes to his dish, he will back away and allow her to eat.

When I was puppy sitting our friend's Great Dane, Thunder, she again asserted her dominance.  There were short lived growls and flashes of teeth, but, by allowing her to work things out, it allowed them to have a much happier existance with each other.

Just be watchful that things don't get out of hand.  That happened once or twice with her and Magic, and Magic was the one who was punished.  He got too rough with her.  He quickly learned that he can TRY to take the "top dog" position, but hurting Sierra would not be tolerated.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:38:02 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:33:16 am »
Things sound pretty normal to me...they are working things out as best they can...My three know that I am the*Alpha Bitch* in this house.and a look or movement from me and everyone stops what they are doing ..and look to me...

Unless Annie is totally out of control I would not punish her..by putting her in a crate ..unless that is what you do to any of them when they do something you don't want them to do..

I don't think that time out's work for our fur friends..while they may work for us ..giving us time to collect ourselves..

If you want them to be a pack together.they need to be together..and they need a strong leader...I don't mean physically..it's all mental..

An Ack!! or look or NO! is all I really need around here..

I would let them work things out ..size has nothing to do with which one is more dominate than the other...it is all mental..

As long as they stop when you enter the picture.and give up what ever they are fighting about I wouldn't worry too much..but that is up to you and how you want things to run in your house..YOU ARE THEIR LEADER

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:23 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I should probably just relax and let them work it out. With Annie it is just noise and she will probably end up the one in charge,(after me of course). I was just afraid if she got too bossy about it they might end up fighting and that could be a problem considering the size difference. That was the first time Clifford even growled back.
Neither one challenge me, I can take one of Annie's favorite toys out of her mouth or food away from Clifford and there is no problem.
He starts obedience this week so more interaction with other dogs will be good for him.