Author Topic: My friend needs some help with her kitty...it's urgent!  (Read 2365 times)

k2campbell

My friend needs some help with her kitty...it's urgent!
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:32:51 am »
Hi everyone,

My friend Nicky's cat is an adventurous guy and ran out of the house last weekend. He has a collar on and has been "spotted" at/around a field close to her house. Her and her husband handed out 200+ flyers for his safe capture and return. Some people have attempted to catch him and he just runs away. Even when Nicky and her hubby try, he takes off! He's scared out of his mind right now is the problem, poor guy... :-\

She loves her kitty, he's her baby...She called animal control out here and they said if the cat isn't spotted frequently within a few hours they won't come, and he's been seen "sporatically" so... >:( >:( >:(

She also inquired on renting a trap but they won't rent them out during the winter due to the cold! >:( ::) :-\ I feel so bad for her, she's scared he's going to die because today it was -17 C out and those that have seen him have noticed his waist line getting slimer... :-[

Any suggestions? Any way to make a homemade trap? ??? ??? ???

Your help would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: My friend needs some help with her kitty...it's urgent!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:45:58 pm »
If she's putting food out in the field, and she thinks he's eating it, tell her to move it a little closer to the house each time.  And I agree with Tina, tell her to just sit quietly and let him scope her out.  He may realize that it's mama, but don't reach out to him cause he'll just bolt.  The sound is a good idea too, I have a specific sound for my cats, not the typical "meow, here kitty kitty", and they always come running if they hear it.  Good luck to your friend, tell her to be patient.  Oh, and since it's so cold maybe put out fresh water too.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:23:27 pm »
I have actually had this happen to myself before.  9 years ago (during the summer), we had to board our cats at a kennel for a month.  Somehow, my two cats jumped out an open window on the 2nd floor of the kennel (it was their night to be outside their cage and get come exercise in the cat room).  The next morning one of the cats was right outside the kennel, while the other was missing.  We searched the woods night and day for weeks.  We saw him once at night, but he got scared and bolted.  We attempted raccoon traps with wet cat food in them, only to catch raccoons and neighbors cats.  A month later we received a phone call from a person who lived near by the kennel.  She had seen our cat out on her back deck eating from her dog's food dish.  The next day he was back at home with us only with a scratch on his nose and fleas.

Anyways...sorr y for the long story, but they should keep trying anything they can think of.  I highly suggest the raccoon trap with food in it (even though it didn't work for us, I have heard that it is highly effective) and leaving food outside the house.  I hope the kitty makes it home safe and sound soon.   
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 02:28:04 pm »
Refusing to rent out a trap in cold weather?  That's about stupid.  

If she can't find one to buy, have her call some local rescue organizations. ...they are usually very cooperative in helping people with situations like this.

In any case, she should use the biggest trap she can get.  The smaller the trap, the less likely a scared animal is to go into it.  She should put some really good smelly food (like tuna) in it, and also some hay or a blanket.  The combination of food and warm shelter should be pretty hard for the cat to resist.

Is this cat neutered?  I find it a bit strange that he would be too freaked out to come home.....cats are resourceful creatures with incredible survival instincts.  I would think he would be meowing at the door if he was really suffering out there.  If he's not neutered, he may just be on the prowl....
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:18:36 pm »
  :'( :'( :'( :'(

It is to cold for kitty to be out i pray they find soon! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 02:01:13 am »
Thanks everyone...for all your suggestions, they have been VERY helpful to Nicky and she is continuing DAILY to post stake-outs to find Bosco  ;)

The bad news is that she *thinks* the cat they kept seeing and that others had tried to catch isn't actually Bosco, but a look-a-like. Today this cat was captured using a blanket...and it wasn't Bosco  :P Had a collar and tag on and ended up living just a few houses away and is an indoor/outdoor cat...too bad it wasn't Bosco! :-\ I bet that poor kitty sure had a scare though when he got caught considering he's outside half the day anyhow! :D But his owners were really good about it I guess  ;)

So, Nicky is continuing to tour the city's shelters daily in hopes of finding him... ??? Sad thing is he's such a neat cat, I think if someone found him they might just keep him despite all the flyers and signs everywhere... :-X