Author Topic: Car Rides  (Read 3390 times)

Offline jezabel1968

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Car Rides
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:03:44 pm »
Hi,

I have an 18 month old English Mastiff, who used to love the car (suv), lately, he will not get in the car.  Nothing has happened no car accidents, no incidents, it's really strange, he used to love to get in the car.  Even food bribes don't work.  Any suggestions?  Is this normal?

Thanks,
Robin

lorim2

Re: Car Rides
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:39:25 pm »
Is it possible he hurt himself last time he was in there...Or maybe you can get a ramp for him to get in...Is it hard for him to get in?

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:45:15 pm »
I know how much Marley loves going but sometimes its a little hard to get in..I have a small SUV...Escape.. .and he gets in through the back door and comes out the back hatch...I sometimes have to give his big butt a boost to get in...but still loves going so far. 

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:51:26 pm »
Butler (1 year old OEM) loves the car but if he moved any slower to get in I would have to strap an orange triangle to his but.  I have seem the amish move quicker them him when it comes to gettting in the car/jeep but once in he loves it.  Tying into what Lorim2 stated, could he have gotten stung by a bee or tail in the door etc... last time in?
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:40:34 pm »
Cody loved going for car rides and would jump right in when we first got him.  A few months ago, he slipped when he was jumping in.  I had to help him in.  He has never even tried to jump in again.  I started watching him and noticed that his hips looked wierd, one was higher than the other.  After XRays, we found that one hip has pretty heavy calcium buildup in it from arthritis.  He just turned 3.  Apparently he is going to need a hip replacement in the next few years.  Unless something happened the last time he got in, or you took him someplace he doesn't like (vet for shots), I would watch him when he runs, walks or jumps and see if maybe there is something going on with his joints.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:31:55 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;DBryce was never in a car before i rescued him it took him a while before he would get in on his own now he loves the SUV i think sometimes if they get spooked they are afaid and it will just take sometime before they get over it! Keep trying Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:43:19 pm »
i second the injury while in the SUV.  Grace loves rides and even when she's hurt she wants in the Jeep.  Maybe he's not able to jump in anymore?  maybe have the vet check his knees if he seems hurt or strained.  other than that...maybe he simple outgrew the fun of riding shotgun.

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:46:34 pm »
I would also think that maybe it is painful for him to jump in.  I usually have to lift Bodhi's big fuzzy butt  into my Endeavor, lol.....he just puts his front paws on the seat and looks at me like, "Give us a leg up, Mommy!" LOL!

Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne