Author Topic: Paw Problems in the Cold  (Read 2398 times)

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Paw Problems in the Cold
« on: January 19, 2008, 03:49:46 pm »
Hi everyone!  Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, okay really long, but Cheyenne and I need some help.  There's been some snow and lots of ice here in IL and Cheyenne's not coping very well.  Outside she tiptoes and occasionally lays down when she can't walk on her paws.  I think the ice and salt are causing her pads to crack and she's in a lot of pain, but she won't let me touch her paws.  She actually growls and snaps at me, which is really not like her.  I got some booties to protect her feet, but she won't let me put them on her.  And I can't even see if there are any other problems with her pads, all of which seem to be affected.  I'm hesitant to take her to the vet, but I'm afraid I might not have a choice because I can't handle her properly without a second person and a muzzle (yes, she seems to be in that much pain).  Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this before?  This is her first winter and none of my other dogs ever had a problem like this.  She's got me really worried :-[.  Any advice is really appreciated. 
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Paw Problems in the Cold
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 04:49:56 pm »
It is most likely the cold and salt, just as you suspected.  It sounds like if she is in that much distress you may need it looked at by a professional.. .for your safety and hers. 
It's too bad she can't tolerate the booties because that's the only thing that saves me in the winter with Kana.  He is not willing to come in even yesterday when it was -4 out so they have been a lifesaver. 
Sorry to have no more helpful advice...I hope she's feeling better, keep us posted! :-\
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »
Not much one can do to avoid the snow and ice, but I would try to keep her clear of salt. Rock salt heats to some ungodly amount and it can cause severe burns to dog paws and is even worse when ingested by licking.
My dogs will also not wear booties so I put Vaseline on my dogs paws in the winter. Seems to help them from cracking.

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:10:11 pm »
I tried putting Vasaline on her paws, but she just keeps pulling away.  I just took her out for a quick walk and kept her on the snow and away from the walkway.  At first she seems fine and then she starts to tiptoe.  I have no doubt that the combination of the salt, ice and snow are causing this problem, I just wish she would let me fix it.  She's always been sensitive about her paws ever since she was a puppy.  Clipping her nails is a nightmare, I've had to resort to just filing them, but she won't let me do that either.  This problem has caused a real backslide in handling her.  At this point I think I'm going to have to take her into the vet so he can get a better look and help me treat her.  I'm afraid that if I keep pushing to check her paws she's going to have a negative association with me and the pain. 
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03