Author Topic: I need advice!!!  (Read 3667 times)

Offline dflorian3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I need advice!!!
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:22:32 pm »
I have a 3 year old english mastiff.  He has always been the most gentle, tolerant, wonderful dog in the world.  I always felt that I could trust him with anyone in any situation.  Yes, he gets protective when someone comes to the door but always wags the tail and licks them as soon as they come close enough.  Over the weekend I brought him to my friends place to stay and he snapped and bit my friends girlfriend in the face.  He was just laying there and she went to go give him a kiss and he went off.  I am completely shocked and devastated and don't know what to do. He punctured her lip and completely freaked her out.  She cried for an hour after it happened. I feel that I can't trust him anymore.  Anybody have some experience or advice on this?

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:27:22 pm »
Was he awake or sleeping leading up to tghe bite?
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline dflorian3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:33 pm »
He was awake.  We were just about to leave to go to dinner and I told him to go lay down and stay because we were leaving.  I could tell he was not happy about it.  He usually gets a little depressed when he knows I'm leaving.  So he went and sat on his bed.  It almost seems to me that he didn't want to be bothered by a stranger when his dad was telling him he was leaving him in a strange place but that shouldn't be an excuse right?

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:02:02 pm »
You are correct, he should not have done that but there could be many reasons he did.  If I am reading your 1st post correctly you & your pooch were statying at a freinds house (or was it just your mastiff staying there?.  Is this something you/he do/does often?  If this is not a common event the stress associated with that could have triggered something.  Did the girlfreind aproach him straight on in what your dog would consider a potenitally agressiver manner?  Was there a bark or growl giving a warning before hand or just a sudden snap? 

Offline dflorian3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:10:26 pm »
this was the first time he ever stayed at this house...but I was there with him.  He was definately a little confused and possibly stressed.  this was the first time he really hung out with her at all...he seemed ok with her in general up until the incident....sh e went and sat next to him and I saw him curl his lips but didn't really think much of it...no growl or much of a warning....the n she leaned in for a kiss and he acted as if she were a dog taking her favorite bone and let her have it....my biggest concern is that I don't know if or when he would do it again...I always trusted him around strangers and children but now I'm worried...

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:07:03 pm »
You concerns are waranted but not uncommon.  I have (as do most on this board)a dog the weighs well in excess of 100 lbs.  My Mastiff is 190 and growing @ a little over a year.  If a dog like yours/mine/ours etc... bites its not like getting bit by a Beagle.  At some point you are going to have to get your pup out of his comfort zone with others but stay close at hand and advise others of his past transgression.  One incident does not make a violent/bad dog. 

How often does he leave your house to visit others homes?  DOes he go to the dog park?  How well has he been socialized leading up to the event?  Do you entertain @ your house and if so how is he around house guests.  There are a million questions I could ask to deep dive.  I am no means the dog whisperer but I have worked with and around dogs for closing in on 30 years so I may have some good insight on what may have led up to the incident and what to expect may happen moving forward.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:38:34 am »
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this situation, it's never a nice feeling when your nervous about your dogs behaviour.  :'( Everyone here has given great advice, so I will not add to it, only reinforce it ;).  It is very important you pay close attention to his warning signals, some dogs can be very subtle.  A simple curl back of the lips like your boy did, or a flattening of the ears is all your going to get sometimes.  Always pay very close attention to his behavior and body language when in any possibly stressful situations for him.  My girl Naja is big white and cuddly looking, so whenever I take her out to Petsmart even, I always have hoards of kids run over and put their hands in her face, and give her hugs.  Sometimes I look like a total b!tch when I ask them to leave her alone now because she's had enough, but I'd rather look like a total cow, then have some kid get bit.  There's nothing wrong with telling people to leave your dog alone if he's had enough or is uncomfortable.  It's better then having your boy labled as a biter.  ;)

BTW  Welcome to BPO!  We love pictures here! (hint, hint)  ;) ;)  ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline dflorian3

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:28:43 pm »
Thank you all for the advice.  It seems that this is something I'll have to watch closely. But hearing this has made me feel better.

I always made an effort to try and socialize him with people and animals.  He goes to dog parks and pet stores, etc... I do entertain at my house and he always does so well with people.