Author Topic: Red Spot  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Red Spot
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:47:15 pm »
Miles has had this small red spot below his eye. It is thinner hair there since it's near the eye, so it is pretty noticeable (to me anyway). When he got neutered, the vet didn't say anything.

It is about the size of a dime, and it's been there about a month or so now. It is not raised, he does not itch it, and he doesn't care if I touch the area or put pressure on it. So basically, it's not a problem except there is this red dot of skin on his face near his eye! haha

I was just wondering if anyone knows what this is? Should I worry about it? Is this something the vet needs to see right away? Is it just a discoloration of some sort??
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Red Spot
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:55 pm »
Cody had a small red spot that appeared on the side of his muzzle.  I watched it and he didn't scratch it or care if I touched it, then he got another one on the opposite side.  I finally asked the vet and he did a skin scraping.  It turned out to be a small, very localized patch of demodectic (sp?) mange.  Nothing contagious, or serious.  I put goodwinol ointment on them for a few weeks and they are completely gone.  The vet said this is nothing unusual and it shows up when a dog is stressed by somthing.  I would have it checked out just to be sure.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:05:12 am »
Ok, so this spot has now turned darker in color. But he still doesn't mind if i touch it or anything. So WEIRD. I'll break down and take him to the vet eventually, it's just ridiculous that the vet charges like 45 dollars just to walk in the door...and he's acting completely fine. I put pressure on the spot and everything. he does not care. I just thought I'd ask here about the mysterious spot one more time before I spend a bunch of money for something that may not be anything at all! hahaha
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:16:44 am by Pyr Heaven »
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:34:45 pm »
Can you post a pic of it?