Author Topic: OKAY SORRY THIS IS A LONG ONE!!!!!!! VENTING BIG TIME!!!!  (Read 1996 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
OKAY SORRY THIS IS A LONG ONE!!!!!!! VENTING BIG TIME!!!!
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:51:56 pm »
Okay I know this really isn't the place to vent but if I don't tell someone or get it out in the open I am going to FREAK OUT!!!!

Lets start off by saying I run a home daycare for the past almost 4yrs, started off very small but over the years I have 'collected' more children as word gets out.Over the past couple months I have been having 'troubles' with the parents ~ making changes to their days needed at last minute. Which means I loose that $ for that day.

So I made up a contract for all my parents to sign saying that without 48hrs notice to changes in the times needed they would be still oweing half days pay regardless if children are in my care(of course sickness is an exception ~don't need puke/pooping kids here , just a cold is fine).

All my parents signed except 2 ~ they have their own troubles by not paying me on pay day!!!

Anyways twice in the past 2wks the same parent has changed with little to no notice, last week it was the childs grandparents picking up after school,and today parent calls this am saying child is not coming as the sibling is sick so I assume that child is not going to school I get to the freakin school and there is child and parent!! Parent comes over to me and says 'hey Kim can you still pick up child after school today' I'm FREAKIN,FREAKIN OUT but I say yes.

I say to parent not sure if you realize but you have broken your contract 2x in the past 2 wks...parent gets all mad ~ WHEN?! So I tell parent and parent was like 'Well Thursday was last minute and today it's because of sickness'!! I say but this child is not sick. Parent says fine I'll pay you if that what you expect and walks away...

HELLO Parents out there this is a business..my job!! Just like you dropping your children off at daycare and going to your job!! How would you like it if your boss called you in Monday am and said 'Oh by the way you don't need to come to work today and won't get $ for it either' when you've already added that $$ into your budget..oh well to bad?

Okay I think I'm done... I feel better  ;D (and I know some of you out there would be happy for the day off work ;D)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:53:57 pm by LibbyP »
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: OKAY SORRY THIS IS A LONG ONE!!!!!!! VENTING BIG TIME!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:35:44 pm »
WOW that sucks. You should tell them if they can't pay you on time then you can't provide service to them. They can't take advantage of you. They are the type of people that if you let them they will keep taking advantage and not pay you.

Your contract is totally fair, and it is what every other daycare offers. I know places here in Edmonton that charge $5 a minute if you are late picking up your child.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »
I'm sorry, that's totally sucky of them.  I agree with what Nina said, if they cannot abide by your contract then you should advise them that they will need to find someone else to provide care for their kids.  a contract is a contract, it is legally binding, there are no ifs ands or buts about it.  They need to understand that this is your lively hood they're playing with, and if they don't care, then I feel sorry for their children because they are going to grow up with the same disregard for other people that their parents have.  Keep the space in your home available for people who are responsible enough to do what they're supposed to, and pay you what has been agreed as fair by all participants.  ;)  If everybody else can do it, what makes them so special?

PS  If you should need anything like an emergency Timmies run or what ever while you are busy with a house full of rug rats I don't work Mon, Tues, or Thurs; just give me a call.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:54:03 pm »
Yup. Agreed on all counts. Those parents are taking advantage of you, and you might have to add into the contract that they have a system of warnings or whatever until you will cancel their services and replace them with another family.

My husband's mom did in-home daycare for years. She was a certified teacher and wanted to stay home with her kids. She was really in demand because she was a teacher and very good. She had no problem telling people when they screwed her that it would only be tolerated once, then they could look elsewhere.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:08:14 pm »
Here's my 2 cents, as a parent who used a home daycare provider for my son's first two years. The parents are TOTALLY taking advantage. My provider's contract was x dollars per week, regardless. I even had to pay her for a week that WE went on vacation. It was clearly spelled out in her contract and I knew about it. Your contract should be as specific, INCLUDING late fee stuff for the parents that pick up after happy hour, as if it's no big deal for you to wipe their kid's nose for an extra two hours. Make a new contract, hand it out. Those who don't like it can leave. Those who realize that quality home childcare is worth a hellofa lot more than money will understand and stay. We also had to pay for childcare the week that SHE took off. IF you think about it, she is entitled to a paid vacation week just like any other job would have. Lots of parents were turned off by that stuff, but my son LOVED her, and his care was wonderful. I'd have paid just about anything to keep my son there. Do not be afraid to stand up for yourself to the parents. It's BUSINESS, not babysitting for $5 an hour. You'll fill open slots easily, I'm sure, if anyone leaves in a huff. And new people will know from the get go that you have a specific contract not to be broken. Go get 'em!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python