Author Topic: Sad about Bo-long post, needing support more than anything  (Read 3299 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Sad about Bo-long post, needing support more than anything
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »
So I've been worried about Bo's joint health for a while now, as I noticed that her hips were "popping" while we were on our walks.  She didn't show any signs of pain, but I made a mental note of it and talked to teh vet, who said that she probably has HD, but that it's not so bad that he wanted to do anything about it.  So, it's started getting colder here (I know, we're wimps about cold in California, but it's been in the 20's at our house in the morning) and I've notice that Bo is moving slower and slower, especially when getting up from a sleeping position.  Then I started hearing her shoulders pop when she would move around...this one sounded more like knuckles cracking.  Then I noticed that she was on her tippy-toes for the first few steps after getting up from a nap.  Much to my chagrin, she chooses to sleep on the linoleum floor instead of on her down-topped tempurpedic mattress that we made for her!  I also noticed that she's becoming more hesitant when people go to pet her and often moves away when the go to pet her rump (she's a therapy dog and works with me one day a week in my psychotherapy office).  She won't give "paw" like she used to and seems to be generally more slow.  Then last night when my husband got home from work, she seemed to have a great deal of trouble getting up from the floor and had this look on her face like she was confused becuase she wanted to go to greet him but couldn't...we call it her squinchy face because her eyes are crinkled up-she usually does this when she first wakes up.  Anyway, it took her a while to get to him and she seemed to be-as strange as it sounds-embarassed.  I know Pyrs are proud dogs and she very much loves the greeting routine she has with her dad, so it almost seemed like she was embarassed that she couldn't get to him fast enough.  I feel like I'm at this crossroads with her becuase part of me is in denial doesn't want to admit that my four year old dog looks and acts like an old dog, almost over night.  The other part of me knows that I have to retire her and stop pushing her to work with people when she's obviously in some degree of discomfort.  Pyrs are so stoic about pain, that I have no idea if she's hurting.  She has started sniffing my hand when I'm rubbing her hip area trying to massage it, but she doesn't growl or try to pull away.  She's clearly not as active as she used to be, but there are times when she's fast & mobile!!  I don't know.  I called the vet today to talk and I'm waiting to hear back.  I'm assuming x-rays are next, and maybe some medication of some kind.  I've got her on a multi-vitamin that has 2000mg of glucosamine, plus Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, every day (she weighs 128lbs), but it doesn't seem to be helping.  I know what I have to do, I'm just not happy about it.  I am just so sad to see her like this...not getting on the bed, hesitating to get into the car, being so stiff when she rises.  She's too young in my mind to have this stuff going on with her. 
Anyway, that's my sad vent...thanks for listening.
Jenn, Bo & Floyd in CA
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Sad about Bo-long post, needing support more than anything
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:10:46 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that Bo is not feeling well  :'(
How old is she?
Don't be too worried until you get her elbows and hips x-rayed and see exactly what is going on. There are plenty of medication that can help. Also, I have heard about stem cells surgeries that make huge diffence in dog's quality life after being diagnozed with HD.
Keep us posted and give Bo a hug  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:54:43 pm »
Yeah, I know it's not a death sentence, I think that it's just hard to see her not as vital as she's been in the past.  I will look into the Knox suggestion-thanks!  We've got a great new pharmacy called Pharmaca here that has lots of holistic remedies.  I'll ask them about it.  She is currently on Natural Balance Duck & Potato and has grain allergies and IBD.  I'm open to switching her food, but I don't know of a good low-fat, grain-free food that's readily available at PFE or Petco!!  Any suggestions?  Thanks for the support & I'll keep you posted on what the vet and x-ray says.
J

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:28:35 pm »
Thanks for the link about nightshades... I had no idea!!!  She's been on a potato-based diet for several years, so it makes sense that a buildup would occur.  I will definitely look into some alternatives.  I'm still waiting to hear from the vet, but I suspect that xrays are next and will give us a better idea of what we're dealing with.  Poor girl...
Last night we moved her down bed into the kitchen and she slept there while we ate dinner, so perhaps I'll keep doing that so she can have a soft place to sleep.  Although she also likes to sleep next to the toilet, but I'm not sure that I want to put a bed next to it becuase my  husband's aim isn't so good in the middle of the night!!  He he!!

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:50:14 pm »
Thanks, you guys!  So, after all of my worry, the vet just said to give her an aspirin a day.  He doesn't want to do xrays or anything else yet, so I guess that's a good thing.  I bought some aspirin today and gave her the first dose, so we'll see if that helps her to feel better.  I really appreciate all the feedback about everyone's experience with HD/Arthritis...it's all pretty new to me, so I'm just learning as I go along.  I also have the tendency to think that every limp means bone cancer and every time she vomits she's got stomach cancer, so it's not unusual for me to sound the alarms for what turns out to be no reason!!  Sometimes I tell my clients "when you hear hoofbeats, don't look for zebras".  I guess I should listen to my own advice for a change!!! =)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:24:54 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation on the Bufferin...I got regular generic Aspirin, but I also give her Zantac to help with stomach upset, so hopefully that'll help to combat any tummy troubles.  She seems to be doing better now that she's been on the Aspirin almost a week.  She's started playing with Floyd again, which is a good sign!  She still hesitates before jumping on the bed, but it hasn't stopped her from getting up there completely!   ;)