Author Topic: Need BPO's Input on Article about Child Friendly Mastiffs  (Read 7108 times)

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
Need BPO's Input on Article about Child Friendly Mastiffs
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:37:31 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently working on a post on a question I received about the most "kid friendly" mastiff breeds.  Of course, I have already included the basic information about these guys being "ginormious", needing to be supervised at all times, not knowing their own strength, movement of their own limbs, etc..etc..

I already have a good foundation, but would like to get the feedback of some of you here since I haven't owned all of these breeds (I wish!), and thus, I haven't personally seen all of them interact with children.

-Dan

-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Need BPO's Input on Article about Child Friendly Mastiffs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:53:04 pm »
Hey Dan,
Not sure what kinda stuff you are looking for but I can tell you alittle about Libby living with small children.

When Libby came to us she was already 3.5yrs old had lived with a single person that for work traveled alot. She was returned to the breeder because of this. I contacted a rescue group and they reffered me to her breeder. That is how she came to us.

My children at the time were almost 3 and just over 1. She would shy away from them at first but I made sure that they always had a treat and that we would just sit and pet her, she has NEVER shown her teeth. All I can say is that she is the best dog ever now with children, I run a home daycare and she loves all my kids she is kind and gentle, very aware of where everyone is at all times, she knows she is lower on the totem pole, they can leave their snack on the coffee table and it not be touched unless its a carrot or apple then its fair game. She doesn't jump at them, she has bumped them(trying to get away from something)she is a scaredy dog with adults and picks and chooses who she likes but with the kids she is the best.
Not sure if thats what you are looking for?
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:19:31 pm »
Dan I have had Bull's in the past and currently have an English.  All my Bulls were very kid friendly.  They were very stoic and even tempered when/if a child over stepped boundaries (pulling on tail).  

My English has been the same way.  I have two nephews that are 1.5 and 3.5.  Butler has been socialized around them since day one and he is great.  I also have freinds that have a 3 year old and Butler visits him on a regualr basis as well.  When we are out in public kids clamor to him and he is always very accomodating.  The biggest concern with my English and kids is his tail can do some seriouse damge when he is happy and could in theory could hurt a young one.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:29:08 pm »
Thanks!
Anything you want to tell me!  Personal stories, concerns, etc...  The tail thing is a great add on.  You always think about the dogs stepping on children or running into them, but the tail whomping is often omitted! 

I'm probably going to work on the article through the weekend as I have a bunch of others to post (and I usually take weekends off), so please tell me more!!

-Dan
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:25:52 pm »
I seriously believe if OEM's are raised with small kids they will love them.  Marley is ok with them but was not raised with him so therefore he tends to shy away from them out in public.  He is fine with them if I make him be a good boy and not hide...Other than their mammoth size..they truly are gentle giants....and omg can they ever love their family....I guess you can tell that I love my Marley...haha

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:38:59 pm »
yeah i think with most mastiff breed putting size aside (not easily done lol) it comes down to the owner and training
My dog arkyd he's 130lbs ish (probably more now)he's really well tempered and even though he's clumbsy and kinda stupid when he's around kids he seem to naturally be calm and gentle

But if a mastiff breed was poorly trained he could be a real problem especially if he thinks he's boss

Plus supervision is good cuz i know my dogs like to lie across us on the couch or bed but that wont be as "nice" if they were to lie across a kid

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 12:09:50 pm »
Since you only said Mastiffs, I guess that would include Cody, my Tibetan Mastiff.  TMs are not as large as other mastiff breeds, but in my experience are great with children.  They were originally used to guard villages of women and children.  We got Cody when he was 2 and he had never been around many people and certainly not children.  He had spent his entire life in a kennel, with no company other than the other dogs there.  He is great with my grandchildren, 8 and 2.  When we took him to the craft fair, strangers children would hug and love on him and he patiently tolerated everything they did.  When he laid down on the sidewalk, while we were talking, 2 small children, maybe 2 and 4, laid down on him and cuddled up with him.  He just laid there with his tongue hanging out, like he was smiling.  He doesn't lick or lean on people and keeps his tail over his back, not wagging it back and forth, so that is not an issue.  He is not mouthy at all and doesn't get excited or jump around, ever.  He is very guardy at home and growls, barks at strangers coming in the house, but I have never seen this with a child.  When I babysit, I put the boys in my sitting room to watch TV.  Cody stays in the kitchen with me and if they walk out of the bedroom, he growls, really low, doesn't even pick up his head, just lets me know they are coming out of the bedroom.  I don't know about all TMs, but he is great with children and small animals and just wants to protect them from other dogs.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats