Author Topic: My DDB is under weight any advice.  (Read 3006 times)

Offline revnick2003

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My DDB is under weight any advice.
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:32 pm »
I bought Red at 11 months old and his weight has not increased. He was on Nutro lamb and rice now he is on Eukanuba lamb and rice. He weights 87 lbs at 17 months his  health is great and he receives he check ups regularly so what can I do to increase the weight.

Offline revnick2003

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: My DDB is under weight any advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:53:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice and how do you post pictures I'm new to this site.

Offline revnick2003

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:23:31 pm »
Here is a picture also.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:20:38 pm »
Welcome to BPO.  You will find that there are lots of folks on here who really know their stuff.  Why are you concerned about his weight?  Has your vet mentioned that he is underweight, too thin, not filling out, etc.?  Have you spoken to his breeder?  I was concerned about my IW, Max's weight, because he didn't seem to be filling out like I thought he should.  His weight will remain the same for a month or so at a time, but then he will suddenly start eating like a horse and gain a few pounds a week, then level off again.  The more he plays hard and runs with Jake, the more he seems to fill out.  I still think he is too thin, but he is only 18 months old, so I am trying to be patient and let him gradually thicken and muscle up.  We got our Pyr, Jake when he was 15 months old and only weighed 74 lbs.  He was a bag of bones, or he looked and felt like it to me.  He has gradually gained up to 98 lbs. in 7 months and is still slowly gaining.  I would just give him time as long as he is healthy and eating well.
Kathy   
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
Just looking at the photo, your dog doesn't look underweight to me.  Dogs come in all sizes, even pure breeds.  One of my Italian Mastiffs is less than 80 pounds and is a fine weight for her build.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua