Author Topic: Flagyl question  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Storey71

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Flagyl question
« on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:16 pm »
Hi,
I have a Aussie mix that is currently taking Flagyl and it seems that since she has started it, she is drinking lots more than usual.  Is this a normal side effect of Falgyl?
Thanks,
Storey

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Flagyl question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:39:15 pm »
Titan was on flygl too...he did seem to drink alot, a lot more than he does now! ...and his problem was misdiagnosed by the vet too..but i am sure that your vet is better by far!!!  So he had diarreah because he was allergic to dog food in general (too expencive to find out) so we feed him raw now!

Offline Storey71

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:17:26 pm »
Thank you.  We have been dealing with the allergy issue since Huck was about 6 months old.  We switched her to a fish protein/yogurt based food and I make most of her snacks which helps a lot.  Now we are adding a spoon of raw pumpkin to her food for extra fiber which should help her rear end problems!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:55:29 pm »
i was told that flagyl was for a bacterial infection in the intestines which would cause cannon butt...our vet told us that he needed to stay on flagyl...altho ugh i beg to differ...i just gave him a can of pumpkin and instant solid poop...so we jsut gave him raw....and it worked wonders!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:26:34 am »
Thank you.  We have been dealing with the allergy issue since Huck was about 6 months old.  We switched her to a fish protein/yogurt based food and I make most of her snacks which helps a lot.  Now we are adding a spoon of raw pumpkin to her food for extra fiber which should help her rear end problems!

Hello & welcome!  Daisy, our golden mix was on the generic form of Flagyl off & on for 4 months due to absolutely horrible vomiting & diarrhea.  When she was on the Flagyl she did fine, but within a week or two after she finished the course of meds, she would become really sick again.  This continued even on very bland diets like rice & chicken baby food until finally the vet suggested that we switch her to duck & potato dog food and absolutely nothing else and it's worked well for almost 2 years now w/o any meds!  She occasionally gets a little baked potato or green beans ( ;D  ::)) as a treat and she's been very healthy.  BTW, we tried the sweet potato/fish food combo w/Daisy and even just a tiny amount made her very sick.  If you think that this is an allergic reaction for your dog, you might want to try either duck & potato or some of the other single protein/single carbohydrate foods to see if you can isolate the underlying problem.  Again welcome and please let us know how everything works out.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees