Author Topic: ESS with BAD allergies  (Read 1856 times)

Offline NC-Ranger

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
ESS with BAD allergies
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:18:35 pm »
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
We have a 6 year old ESS. We moved from NJ to NC and now he has HORRIBLE allergies. He bites, chews and scratches ALL day and night long. He has tried the pregsione(sp?) shots and was on Termil-P, 3 pills every other day. It doesn't work. Any suggestions?? Thank you!!!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: ESS with BAD allergies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:19:29 pm »
Welcome to BPO.  We had two springers that we lost last year at 13.5 and 14.5.  They both had horrible allergies from the time they turned 4 or 5 up until their deaths.  I have an IW now that has severe allergies.  Have you tried benadryl capsules or soothing oatmeal baths or conditioners?  Both of those seem to help some with Max.  We did the blood serum allergy test for him and gave him the injections from Heska for 6 months, but it hasn't helped him at all.  I have an appointment for him on Tuesday of this week with a new dermatologist.  Have you had your dog tested to see what it is allergic to?  You may find that it is a food allery, which is easier to deal with than some.  Max tested allergic to dust mites, molds, fungus, all environmental allergens when he was 11 months old.  Our springers were allergic to everything under the sun, except for foods.  Have you changed dog food or treats?  If the only thing that changed, when the allergies started, was your move, I would look at environmental causes.  It could be grass, trees, etc.  Our TM came to us from Georgia and started in with allergies shortly after we got him.  He was scratching, chewing and losing his hair.  We had him tested and put him on the injections and his allergies have dissappeared completely.  He gets a shot once a month and he is doing fine.  He is allergic to Florida, all grasses, pine, palm, cedar, in addition to dust mites, molds and fungus.  I would start with the testing and go from there.  Good luck.  Allergies in dogs really suck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats