Author Topic: I just took the plunge!  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
I just took the plunge!
« on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:20 pm »
Well, after debating for months and wondering if I could afford it, I bit the bullet just now and ordered NutriSystem. My director for the play I am in took pictures at rehearsal last night and posted them on our myspace sight and I did NOT like what I saw.

I look like my father!

So, I figured I probably spend about $300/month on fast food and eating out anyway so I may as well pay for it all up front and feel better about myself in the end.

Has anyone used Nutrisystem before? Is the food as good as it looks?

All I know for right now is, this is NOT sexy:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: I just took the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:36:03 pm »
I have never used any of those systems before. But honestly I find the thing that works the best is to exercise and cut back on food portions, no eating after 7/8 and to watch how you cook your food.

Last summer when my husband got in a car accident and we were out of a car for 2 months I biked to work and home ever day. About a 30 minute bike ride each way. I lost about 20 lbs I actually began to enjoy biking and even after we got our car back I continued to bike. Yeah it sucked in the rain but looking great felt even better!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:37:32 pm »
of course you're right, but I'm lazy. I have a bike. It looks really nice and sparkly new 3 years later sitting in our workshop. I definitely need to get off my a**
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:41 pm »
of course you're right, but I'm lazy. I have a bike. It looks really nice and sparkly new 3 years later sitting in our workshop. I definitely need to get off my a**

LOL hey it took me not having a car to get off my butt  ;D Good luck though I am sure you will do great. My only suggestion is to try and add 30 min to 1 hr of cardio 5 days a week and you will really notice the lbs come off and fast.

Now that it is winter I am having a hard time getting off my butt again  ::)

Nina
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:03:13 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:02:44 pm »
ooo!! I like free. I'm checking it out now.

And, the Nutrisystem Advanced plan I ordered comes with an exercise DVD so hopefully I will commit myself to watching that instead of reality TV 5 days a week.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »
The Nutrisystem website is actually pretty cool. You can hook up with other people on the program, it has your own personal food diary where you log everything you eat that day, you can blog, track your exercise and weight loss, etc.

I need to buy a scale, I guess so I can celebrate my success when it happens.

I decided to go with Nutrisystem 'cause they send you all the food, and given my own freedom to choose I do not make the best decisions.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »
I was on the Nutrisystem chat room a little while ago and asked that very question. Most people said the food did taste good and it kept you from feeling hungry during the day. let's hope they are right. I'll let you know.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:38:16 pm »
I think it is great that you are making a commitment to this.  Every journey begins with a single step.  Good luck and let us know how you do.  We will all be rooting for you.  I need to quit smoking, but know I don't have the willpower to stick it out.  I am too afraid that I will gain weight.  If this goes well for you, maybe I can try the plan to prevent weight gain. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:10:52 pm »
Good luck Jeanne! I hope it works out for you  ;D

Hubby's grandmom who is 90 now and 125lbs and has been for the past 60 years tought me her trick:
She weighs herself everyday and if she is above 125lbs she eats half of her calories the next day. Sounds easy  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:59 pm »
My cousin is on Nutrasystem.  She loves it.  She is a busy career mom and has little time to cook so it works out well for her.  She has been successful losing weight too!  Just be aware, since so many of those programs are pre-packaged food, many of the ingredients are preservatives. I don't know how your cholesterol or sodium levels are, but if they are high, you may reconsider to another meal plan.  I know there is a website that you can literally compare all the weight loss programs out there (weight watchers, south beach, Atkins, etc)and take a survey that will help you pick out the right one for you.  Regardless, I applaud your determination. ..what ever weight loss program you choose! 
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 07:33:56 pm »
That's pretty much what I was planning to do, but I really appreciate the validation. I would love to lose 40lbs. in 4 mos.! I really need a kick start to get me feeling good about myself and how I look and, while I do that, I will investigate long-term diet changes and start getting Aaron to eat that way. He needs this more than I do, but he's not at the point where he wants it yet.

What did you do for exercise?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:31:50 pm »
I've heard of this system on tv but not tried it.  i've always made it a practice to avoid fast food anyway....it comes with too much guilt.  that's part of the braking habits. 
when i quit smoking the doctor told me that with any bad habit, even eating, making new habits was key.  when i felt like smoking she told me to take the dog for a walk.  Me and Grace put a lot of miles on us last summer.  :)  try it with your new habit making...besid es, walking is really good for you and it's low impact.
good luck!  keep us posted.

PS who are you talking to on your hand there?  :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »

HAHAHAHA!! I was calling the police, actually!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:46:17 pm »

did they answer?  :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 09:47:06 pm »

did they answer?  :)

PS.  just remember you are wonderful, with or without the nutrasystem. :)