Author Topic: How bad do you think this is? Video  (Read 3416 times)

lins_saving_grace

How bad do you think this is? Video
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:04:53 pm »
I hate to run crying to the vet all the time...but with Grace's little set back on her leg i will in a day or two if this isn't looking any better.  what do you think?

she has an appointment tomorrow at 10:20.  the more she walks on it though, the better she does.  it's not hot to touch and there doesn't seem to be any swelling. 

maybe i'm talking outloud and trying to wish away the ACL thing, but i don't want her to have to go through that.
we just went outside and she wanted to play in the snow and bounce.  and she jumpped on the couch with authority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yslXw19J4o

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: How bad do you think this is? Video
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:56:18 pm »
I'd keep going to the vet, or at least I'd be calling them regularly if she doesn't get better. I am NO authority and have never had a dog with ACL, but it looks like a bad limp to me. Tani had a limp for about a week. I (ok, hubby) wanted to give it time to resolve. When it didn't, I took her in. Luckily, it was just some kind of strain, and anti-inflammitory meds helped her get past it. If you've been through all that with Grace already, I'd start saving $ for the ACL surgery if that is what is being recommended. BTW, too cute that she shook her head like "No" when you asked her if she was getting better!!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:05:30 pm »
Awww...poor little girl!  I'm sorry, I am of absolutely no help with the exception that I'm crossing my fingers and sending you and Gracie positive thoughts!!!  Good luck!

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »
awww poor little Gracie girl  :-*  Has the vet tried any anti-inflamitories with her? It does seem to be a very pronounced limp. You had said she over did it the other day--my guess would be that she has reinjured it before it had time to heal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:29:22 pm by Icerotti »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:07 pm »
this was a re do of the limp she got 3 weeks ago and busted up again tuesday.  it has gotten a little better since tuesday.  and she's not holding it up in the air like Lady always did when she needed a leg done. 
i took her to the vet early this month and it had already had about 5 days to get less pronounced before the vet saw it.  the vet was ok with us using asprin since it was helping...i will have to get the vet meds this time.  there's not any swelling or pain to touch any part of her leg.
she loves to play in the snow and making her not jump in it is tough. 
today she's slept a lot.  i put an ice pack on it for about an hour and she's sleeping again.  i love the bed on the floor too.  it's easier for her to get in and i don't worry so much.  but she is able to jump up which i hear is a good sign. 

i'll have to let everyone know what i hear tomorrow.  we need to get better soon...we have a lot of miles to put on our old bodies this summer.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:57:54 pm by Lin (just Lin) »

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:58:46 pm »
I think she has reinjured it as well.  When Chichi tore her ACL, she did not put any weight on it for over a week and then limped like crazy.  Once the surgery was over, it was like it had never happened within a week.  Good luck with her.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:02:28 pm »
Lady was like that too after both her knees got done.  Grace hasn't had one done and i was hoping she wouldn't have to.  I always hated knowing that Lady had busted her ACL and hearing my ex tell me i might be wrong. 
the only thing keeping hope alive is that Grace isn't holding it off the ground.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:57:51 pm »
Does she limp mostly when she gets up from resting or is it all the time? As Oasis got older, he would limp/be stiff when getting up from sleeping or whent he weather got cold. Prednisone helped a lot and I would massage his hip and leg muscles every day, at least twice a day.

He loved this and it seemed to help. He had his good days and his bad days, but when I started massaging it seemed like the bad days weren't quite as long.

Now, I know Grace isn't even near "old", but try the massage, if you're not doing it already. It will help her injury heal better and help her from reinjuring herself so quickly. Aspirin will help with the pain, but not the inflammation. I would call the vet and see if there's something you can give her besides aspirin.

That was a nice stretch at the end, though!! She certainly hasn't lost her good looks.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:13:15 pm »
it is mostly after getting up.  she's only 3.  :)  and it is cold. 
today has been a challange to keep her still.  we snuggled on the couch and after dinner and potty she leapt into bed and is sleeping now.  that was a major bounce tuesday. 
i've been rubbing her up all day.  she really likes that a lot. and the cold compress is going over ok.   i'll get some of that rimidal tomorrow.  the vet offered that last time but the asprin was taking the edge off. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:51 pm »

That was a nice stretch at the end, though!! She certainly hasn't lost her good looks.
[/quote]

thank you!  Princess thinks she's the most prettiest dog ever.