Author Topic: Grace is having surgory  (Read 5729 times)

lins_saving_grace

Grace is having surgory
« on: January 30, 2008, 02:28:51 pm »
She got the confirmation today that her right ACL is torn.  She's scheduled for surgory next thursday.  We're waiting that long because the asprin we had her on needs to get out of her system. 

Such bad timing.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Grace is having surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:39:15 pm »
Awww... Poor Gracie. I'm sorry Lin, but at least she'll be on the road to a more permanent recovery after that, right?

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Grace is having surgory
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:26 pm »
I'm so sorry Lin, I was really, really hoping against that outcome.  :'(  But like previously said, at least now she'll be able to get back to her old self, and soon.  Please give Gracie big hugs and kisses from me, I hope she's feeling much better very soon. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

And as for you, now you can relax a little, you know what's wrong, and you know that it's going to be fixed.  I say that you should go pour yourself a nice cup of tea, and pat yourself on the back for being persistant, and not letting go of your gut feelings about this.  You are a Great Momma, and Grace is very lucky to have you.  **Big Hugs**  :-* :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:53:56 pm »
it'll be ok (just like with Lady) ... but now i have to hurry up and land a job.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:38:09 pm »
Aww...Sorry Lin!  But, the good news is that you know what to expect and I'm sure Gracie will soon be on her way to a speedy recovery! 

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:40:52 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Oh no at least she will mend from quickly and be back to herself soon ! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:43:35 pm »
the other good news is that the pills they gave me to give her up till the day of surgory have Knocked her out completely.  :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 04:25:34 pm »
Awww. I'm sorry to hear it Lin. And you knew all along. Isn't it crazy how we sort of just 'know' with some things? But soon Grace will be all better and you two can go on long walks in the park together with no pain! ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 04:34:28 pm »
Oh boy, I'm such a big believer in following your gut feeling on things like this, so very good job, Lin.  I'm sorry that surgery will be necessary (and especially right now for you) but it's great that they know what's wrong now and that it will be corrected.   ;)  ;D  You are a fantastic doggy momma!!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:17 pm »
thank you!!! it will be ok.  :) 
I emailed Grace's Dad's owner to tell her and she asked me how Grace tore her ACL.  Now i feel like i could have prevented it.  Grace probably partially tore it on XMas Day when we were going on 10 Jeep rides to different parks in town.  she loves Jeep rides.  but to make it sound like it was something i did and didn't try to prevent is awful.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 06:05:17 pm »
If we tried to prevent everything that "could" happen to us or our dogs, we'd all be in bubbles!!  Did she start showing signs after all the Jeep rides?  How old is she?  If she was an older dog I could see maybe taking a few precautions, but as much as you take her walking and hiking her joints/muscles are well excersized!!  The lady probably thinks you're trying to blame it on genetics (which it could very well be) and trying to get her to pay some of the costs, or something like that.  When Bella, my mom's dobe, was diagnosed with demadactic mange they went to tell the breeder and she basically cussed them out and told them it was just an allergy.  My brother didn't pay much for her and my mom (who used to be a breeder) was letting her know so she wouldn't breed that female anymore.

Don't second guess, it doesn't fix anything.  It's done now all you can do is take the best care of her now!!!  Which we all know you will do!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »
Awwww Lin, it's not like you hooked her to a dog sled and made her run for miles.  I honestly don't think that you should feel responsible.  If all was really well in that joint before, I don't think that Jeep rides should cause a ACL tear.  I'm certainly no expert, but it doesn't sound right to me.  JMHO

For whatever it's worth, I would wonder if Grace's Dad's owner's reaction was partially b/c she doesn't want to think that it is a genetic issue?   :-\  Just a thought.

Maybe I just think of this b/c when Halley was diagnosed with bone cancer at just over 2 1/2 y/o, I called her breeder to ask for help finding speciality vets for her.  The breeder said that it must have been something in our environment that caused the cancer b/c it wasn't in her genetics (though I had never said that it was).  I cried rivers after I got off the phone with her.  I've since heard that her blood lines sadly do have a lot of cancer, but her dogs keep consistantly winning in the dog shows (I've seen Halley's breeder win numerous titles just in the last few years).  So it doesn't seem to matter to her that too many of her dogs are dying young of cancer, because they are winning in the shows.  It just breaks my heart.  So maybe that's why I thought of that when you said what Grace's Dad's breeder said, but it would make me wonder.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »
Grace is 3.  we have put a lot of miles on our old bones and she's very well excersised.  it was going to happen.  i only emailed her because i lost the email addy i had for Grace's Mom's breeder.  i never thought to ask her to pay for any of this, but that's a good point that you think she may have thought that about me.   i had just always kept in touch with both of them.  
grace did limp a little on Dec. 26th after the jeep rides.  we have always gone on long rides like that and been in and out of the jeep.  it just happened to bust her leg this time.  but you're right...we can't walk on eggshells all the time.
luckily the day of surgory will be easy to get her out of the jeep without help.  if i back the jeep up my door in the apartment, she has a step to get down on.  that way i won't have to rely on any male friend's to drop what they are doing to help me. (both of them make excuses when i ask for help) this will work out pretty good.  if the step doesn't work well, i can back into the big snow pile on my corner and that will act as a step.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »
you're right.  i don't feel responsible. the guilt is a natural mom thing. this will be Grace's badge of courage for the summer full of fun she had last year.  we had a great and active summer going everywhere and feeling out our new wings of freedom.   we earned this!!  :)   and it won't interupt our summer this year either.  she will be almost healed and recovered by by the end of May.  :) 

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »
I'm sorry this did not turn out to be something simpler, as we were all hoping, but as others have said, at least you know what you are dealing with, how to fix it and know that she will be 100% afterwards.  Good luck with Grace and the job search.  I am sure you will be employed, happily, and out and about with Grace again in no time.  Good luck and I don't think it had anything at all to do with you.  These things just happen.  S--t happens all the time.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats