Author Topic: Jake is freaking out over goat meat  (Read 2580 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Jake is freaking out over goat meat
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:46:13 pm »
Has anyone ever experienced their dog freaking out over a specific type of meat? I bought goat meat for our dogs this week. When I thawed it out and began cutting it up, my pyr, ran in the bedroom with his tale between his legs and proceeded to whine and cry, like he does during a
thunderstorm or when he hears fireworks. I called him out and he would come, but then tuck his tail and run back to the bed. When I gave my other dogs some bones, I called him out and offered him one. He smelled it and ran back into the bedroom. Last night I took some of the meat and put it on the dehydrator. Again I offered him a bone and
he tucked his tail and ran. The dehydrator ran all night and he laid in bed with me, barking and howling every hour or so, all night long.  Nothing would shut him up. I pulled him over to me in bed and curled up with him, when he shut up for a few moments, and he still started barking a half hour or so later.  He is still spooked this morning and won't even take beef from me now. He did take a few pieces from hubby.  My husband laughed and said, maybe he used to guard goats, before we got him and he thinks you killed his pet goat. I don't know what to think. Any ideas???
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Jake is freaking out over goat meat
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:25:07 pm »
You know, I don't think that your husbands idea is far fetched at all.  I've heard many times that Pyrs have to be taken off of the farm before their livestock is taken to slaughter.  They bond deeply with their charges and given how sensitive to smell dogs are, I think that it's very likely that the goat meat is upsetting him.  Can you try something else?  Poor guy!   :'(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:46:39 pm »
I felt really bad for him, so we are saving the dehydrated beef for his snacks only and I got him some chicken to eat.   Cody and Max will get all the goat, since they love it and he will eat outside where he doesn't have to smell it.  Yes, he's spoiled.  At least I know not to buy anymore goat and bring it into this house.  I don't know what his history was before going into rescue.  Maybe he was raised with goats for all I know.  I just felt so bad for him and until this morning did not even think about the meat being connected to his freaking out.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:12 pm »
I felt really bad for him, so we are saving the dehydrated beef for his snacks only and I got him some chicken to eat.   Cody and Max will get all the goat, since they love it and he will eat outside where he doesn't have to smell it.  Yes, he's spoiled.  At least I know not to buy anymore goat and bring it into this house.  I don't know what his history was before going into rescue.  Maybe he was raised with goats for all I know.  I just felt so bad for him and until this morning did not even think about the meat being connected to his freaking out.
Kathy

I think that's a good idea, Kathy. 

It is hard sometimes with our rescue pups b/c we really don't know what their history is.  We really wonder if Sammy was a dad at some point b/c whenever he gets a toy, he just paces & paces around with it in his mouth forevvvvver, sometimes whines while he carries it, and then finally he lays down and cuddles it for quite a while (while no other dogs are allowed to bother his "baby").  It's really pretty poignant to watch.  We are careful with him when he has a "baby" because although he's generally as gentle as a lamb, he seems sad & very protective of it.  I wonder about Sam b/c I once saw an article online about a male pyr that was a very involved daddy and helped his mate care for all of their litters.  Then there was a barn fire and this pup went into the barn over & over until he'd brought out his mate and all of the babies.  It was so, so sad, he had to be PTS because he was burned to badly. 

Anyway, I guess no goat meat is a small price to pay if it makes poor Jake happy again, right? 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees