Author Topic: I'm going to be a 1st time Rottie owner....Temperment difference Male vs Female  (Read 14352 times)

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
We're not sure if we want to go Male or Female.  What are the difference in attitude?

lins_saving_grace

I have always had female dogs period.  Female rotties are most often more personable and affectionate and more docile.  although males can be lovable too, females are more passive. 
my female on the other hand can be a bully, but she is a teddy bear cuddler. 
i think there are a lot of male rottie owners on this site that would say that their male rotties are just as docile and cuddly.
it's all in what you prefer.  if you want a bigger rottie and can handle it, get a male.  if this is your first rottie, i would get a female. 
all dogs, no matter what breed, are unique in their temperments and personalities. 

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Thanks Lin.  Yes, this will be our first Rottie. I like the look of the males better, but if they are harder to handle, I'd rather go with a female.

lins_saving_grace

Thanks Lin.  Yes, this will be our first Rottie. I like the look of the males better, but if they are harder to handle, I'd rather go with a female.

i wanted a male too because i like the big head and the hefty body too.  my ex sore up and down i'd regreat getting a male even as a second rottie.  it's of course up to you and you could wait and see what the other rottie owner here think too.  Icerotti has a male, Puck, who is a complete baby doll.  
i think a lot of the temperment depends on how you raise them too.
when are you getting your puppy?

lins_saving_grace

In that case, i better go check with mom to see if it's almost time for bed and snuggles.

Icerotti

Well if you can't decide--you should get one of each  ;)..lol

My first rotti was a female and she was a true sweetheart but would give her life to protect me. She was very good with children for not having been raised around any.

My second rotti was a female --she was a true b*$ch. She had a really bad temperment not as stable as my first girl. She did fine when our daughter was born though but she was never unsupervised around her.

After  my first girl passed we got a male puppy. We lost him at 6 months due to severe hip dysplasia. He was a mellow boy and very friendly. The breeder replaced the puppy with a 1.5 yr old male Ceasar. Now he was not very even tempered. He would growel at everyone ,except me when we got him. My husband and I were not comfortable with him. So the breeder had a 1 yr old returned to her from a divorce situation.

That  boy was Puck and he will be 10 this March. Now this boy was just like my first female I had. Loving, friendly and protective.He is a big kisser. :D  He was excellent from the day my daughter was born until now  and she is 7 yrs old. They are the best of friends.

So as you can see it can be a mixed bag. I think what it comes down to is training and socialization no matter what sex you get. Don't stop training after the puppy classes keep going up the levels. That way the dog learns that you are in command. They can be a very stubborn breed and will test you. But in doing so the reward of having a well behaved and obedient dog can't be beat.

Good Luck and please post pictures of your puppy when you decide ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 01:39:23 pm by Icerotti »

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
When you say Males will "test you" what do you mean by that?  Are they aggressive when they test you or is it more of them not listening (like a child)?

Icerotti

I have found both m/f will test. Yes ,it is more like a child teating boundaries than being aggressive. They want to see where the boundaries are and how far they can get with them. I found as they matured they knew what was expected and the " testing" did not occur often as when they are younger.

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Gotcha!

Also, how do you discipline or show dominance over your Rottie?  I don't believe in hitting dogs.  I see the Dog Whisperer uses the hand as a mouth and gives a "hit" with it.  Does something like that work?

lins_saving_grace

females test just as well as males.  so there's constant alpha dog relationships going on there in both sexes.  there are many ways of training and the level needed caries by dog.  when i had both my rotties at once they needed different types of training.  Lady needed less and Grace needed and still needs an extra umph.  there are simple methods that do not require hitting since you should never hit them anyway. 
i get in trouble every time i mention this, but i do the rottie roll.  if grace seriously misbehaves, i will put her on her back and straddle her and claim my alpha dog status to reinforce that i am boss and she did a bad thing.  it's not cruel and involves no pain.  i've been told, even on this site that it is a fear tactic.  it's an assertive way to get her attention, yes, but i don't think it scares her since she is far from intimidated by me.
that's all i'll say about that since even mentioning it will spark a whole other controversy.  maybe you'll be lucky and not need that. 

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Congratulation s on your new pup.  Temperament is an individual thing, not necessarily a breed or gender determined characteristic .  My female springer was super protective of me, not of my husband at all.  My male springer was super protective of our home and cars, not as much me or my husband.  Not a breed trait, just the way they were.  I don't believe in physical dominance with my dogs.  However, that being said, if I say come and they don't, I will go get them and take them to where I called them from.  Cody is my testing dog.  He will push me from time to time, growl or grab my hand and hold it.  I continue whatever it is I am doing and calmly tell him no.  He stops.  Dominance, in my opinion is 99% mental.  He doesn't bite or physically dominate my other dogs, but they defer to him completely.  He is my alpha dog and a lot of my thoughts and opinions have been developed by watching their interaction.  As long as you enforce your rules and are consistent in doing so, your dog will respect you and defer to you.  Just my 2 cents worth.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

lins_saving_grace

I didn't get to see the puppies in the liter when I got grace.  she was delivered to us and unfortunately she has a bully streak in her and that's how i've been told (by ther breeder) to "dominate" her.  i don't like it. i don't do it often since she is for the most part very well behaved.  and i don't like to suggest it for docile puppies.  but it's a resort.   
you've met Grace, Julie.  you know she's very happy and loved.  but i have to be overbearing once in a while.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
WOOHOO a new puppy!!!!  Man there have been quite a few lately, keep em coming!!! 

I too think it's totally about the individual dog.  Don't get me wrong there are a lot of breed specific things, but just like people dogs have their own personality.  I too have a dominant/aggressive breeed, german shepherds.  My first one was a male, Navarre, and now I have Issabeaux.  I suggest getting everything you can get your hands on about Rotti's and READ!!  Get some basic training and behavior books too, read them BEFORE you have anything come up. 

And when things do arise, post a question!!!  You'll get many different responses, some you won't agree with (but in the end may try anyway!) and some you'll love!  That's the great thing about this site everyone has something different that has worked for them.  Navarre my male was an absolute TURD when he was young (I also used something like the roll that Lin talked about) but became a perfect gentleman and absolutely LOVED in the neighborhood.  Issy, just turned one last Sun, and she is the energizer bunny and tries my patience from 7am-10pm!!!!

Some things that I wish I would have known with Navarre when he was a pup that may have helped.  When you pick the pup up to hold him/her and they struggle, don't put them down until they have calmed down and are still for a bit.  Really this applies to anything, if the pup doesn't like it and you give in, they've won. If your watching TV put them on their side or back and rub their belly, if they struggle quit rubbing but don't let them up, when they quit struggling rub the belly some more.  This is a version of the roll but when they are pups and you do it just because, not when they get in trouble 1) it's not a "discipline", they may be nervous at first but 2) they learn they can trust you, cause when they are on their backs, in their most submissive position, they get tummy rubs!!!

Sorry this was sooooo long!!!  Good luck on your pup, and we want pics as soon as he/she come home!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Not sure what an Alpha Roll is per say.  Is that what the Dog Whisperer does when he holds them down with his hand?  Or is mounting them different?

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Thanks I appreciate it!   I will definately post pictures.  I hope we don't spoil him/her too much!!