Author Topic: need vacuum recommendations  (Read 4251 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
need vacuum recommendations
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:32:17 pm »
Hello All,

My vacuum is on the fritz and will need to be replaced soon...I would love some vacuum recommendation s since I have 4 housepets, 1 of which is my Pyr who tends to leave a little piece of herself all over the house!!  I vacuum almost every day and want a vacuum that can stand up to sucking up lots of pet hair. Thanks!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: need vacuum recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:41:46 pm »
I have the Dyson Animal as well and man does it suck (in a good way  :))
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:43:07 pm »
I want the Dyson Animal so bad!!! But it's like 700 dollars!!! That is NOT in my price range for a vacuum :(
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »
Not sure if this helps but... They are $500.00.  If you go to Target or Homedepot and open an account you will get an additional 10% off.  The key is to then close the account or shred the card so you do not buy more.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:48:48 pm »
I have the Dyson Animal. It was $500. I absolutely love it, but let me give you some tips.

Holly probably doesn't have this problem with hers, as she has short-haired dogs. But, Cabeza has a thick double coat that is very long and fluffy.

The only problem with the Dyson is that you do actually have to take it apart and clean it out, or it will stop working. I took mine in for repairs, and they showed me exactly what to do to maintain it. We have to do it every couple of vacuums. This might seem like a pain in the butt, but it is TOTALLY worth it as it gets out SO MUCH HAIR.

Having a Pyr would be exactly like having a Chewfoundland, I would imagine. (hair wise) So, I highly recommend it, just as long as you know you'll have to do a little extra work to keep it running properly. :)

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »
Yes. We got ours at Lowe's. We opened the account and got hte 10% off plus 12 months no interest. We just paid it right off. We kept the account as we buy tons of stuff at Lowe's, but anyway, it helped. :)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:17:27 pm »
I have the Dyson Animal. It was $500. I absolutely love it, but let me give you some tips.

Holly probably doesn't have this problem with hers, as she has short-haired dogs. But, Cabeza has a thick double coat that is very long and fluffy.

The only problem with the Dyson is that you do actually have to take it apart and clean it out, or it will stop working. I took mine in for repairs, and they showed me exactly what to do to maintain it. We have to do it every couple of vacuums. This might seem like a pain in the butt, but it is TOTALLY worth it as it gets out SO MUCH HAIR.

Having a Pyr would be exactly like having a Chewfoundland, I would imagine. (hair wise) So, I highly recommend it, just as long as you know you'll have to do a little extra work to keep it running properly. :)

We have a Dyson animal (well 2) as well and there are 3 husky/shepard/malamutts, 2 scottie/westie mixes 3 cats and 6 ferrets in the house. You do have to take it apart every now and then for routine maintenance and cleaning of the filter but over all we LOVE it. We've had ours for a couple of years now and have had no problems with either (we have one for upstairs and one for downstairs).

It is more expensive but in my opinion, it's worth it.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:49:54 pm »
Not sure if this helps but... They are $500.00.  If you go to Target or Homedepot and open an account you will get an additional 10% off.  The key is to then close the account or shred the card so you do not buy more.

ahhh. Well, that's a bit better. haha I guess I'm not looking at the right places! I think I saw if for 699 at Kohls. ???
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:50:55 pm by Pyr Heaven »
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:19:41 pm »
hmmm, we have the dyson animal too, and we're not big fans.  Maybe we got the lemon?   ???

The problem with it isn't the suction, that is great, and its fantastic when you put the brush on the hose for vacuuming dust from lamp shades and curtains.

But, Jeff's daughters have hair down to their butts, and of course, 2 berners, makes for lots of hair on the carpet.  We constantly have to take apart the brush to clean it; hair gets wrapped around the brush instantly, and once that happens, you have to go over the hair like 5 times before its all gone.  When the brush is clean, its better, but I still feel like I have to go over certain spots several times before I don't see black hair.

In our new house we have mostly hardwood, so we bought the small green eureka from target, i think it was like $60.  We LOVE that for the carpet, its excellent.  But you wouldn't want to do that for big jobs.  we only have a couple area rugs, the stairs, and the bedrooms and hallway.

The brush isn't the only part that you have to take apart and clean. That is a big one, but you also have to get the hair out from under the belt, which requires taking it off. There is also a filter under the canister. There are several other places that my husband cleans for me, too. I recommend you call Dyson and find out where your closest warrantee center is. Ours just happened to be a block from our house, but I know that some of them are far for people. They showed me all the little places that you have to clean and mess with. You should NOT have to be vacuuming over and over to get all of the hair up, but you do have to do more maintenance than other vacuums. I think that this is because it has such powerful suction, it gets SO MUCH hair caught in all the little nooks and crannies.

I think its worth it even though I have to put work into it.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:12:54 pm »
I'm really cheap.

I wouldn't call myself cheap after buying $180 vacuum  ;)

I have a Healthy Home Bissell. It was $270 in November 2006. I bought a 4 years warranty with it for $30. It works great BUT
1.It is kind of heavy
2.Some hair does get stuck around brushes so I have to clean it manualy in the end.
3. It has only been 1.3 years and the wheels make pretty irritating sound  >:(
Oh, well...I will take it for warranty repairs one day. The only thing is that it takes 2-6 weeks to get it back and I can't stay that long without vacuum  :)

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 11:31:51 pm »
I got the Dyson Animal after having my rainbow for gosh I'm guessing 15 yrs.  I love the fact that the dirt and grit didn't fly back into the air with the rainbow but it wasn't doing a thing since moving to this house between the white cat the black Newf and my two spaniels and thickest carpet ever covering the majority of the house.  Let me say the very best thing about the Dyson is ... it works so well that my husband runs probably more than I do !!  I will say this I'm not impressed with it's results on hardwood or tile so if I didn't have carpet I'd still be using the Rainbow.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 02:39:51 am »
Hi,

Ok get a shop vac!! great as a Pet, hair dryer, and first pass vacuum. Hardwood floors, water puddles around the food dishes, sand, dirt and stuff not fully embedded in the rugs and furniture. Huge tub to collect the hair, and a filter you bang against a wall to clean out and use for months. I have a Bissell like $50.00 bucks at any retailer,hepa filter, animal hair attachment for steps and furniture, upright with the hose and attachments also. Pulls darn well on the rugs too.

Draw back small collection basket so I empty it after each use, sometimes twice. THEN I take the shop vac and vacuum the vacuum to get all the cloggy stuff!! So for under $100, you get a pet dryer, shop vacuum and rug vacuum that do work pretty well.

I am a male so "works pretty good" may be a little different than your interpretation of pretty good, but I am cheap and have ruined a few EXPENSIVE Vacuums prior to this new system and so far so good!!

Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:41:07 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:41:33 pm »
ARGH, don't get me started on vacuums!!! (Too late, lol)

We are ridiculously hard on vacuums....not just because of the pets, but because my husband and stepson will try to suck up ANYTHING with them....screws, rocks, pencils, you name it.  Yes, my stepson once vacuumed his room and sucked up an entire mechanical pencil....took an hour to rip the machine apart and fix it! 

We are currently on our 4th vacuum in 5 years.  None of them have been 'pet specific'.....our next one WILL be.  I think the Bissell Lift Off sounds great because I have 3 herniated discs in my back....draggi ng around an entire heavy vacuum just about kills me....
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne