Author Topic: 9 month old English Mastiff shakes when stands and arches back constantly  (Read 4475 times)

Offline CuriousGeorge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hello,

Just recently my 9 mos old english mastiff started to shake when he stands up and he constantly arches his back when he is standing....He will be going in for some serious xrays in a few weeks...just wanted to know if anyone knew this has early signs for Hip dysplasia

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: 9 month old English Mastiff shakes when stands and arches back constantly
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:57:27 am »
Hi & welcome!  I'm sorry, I don't know if this is a early symptom of HD or not, but I think that the x-rays are a great first step.  I definitely think that it sounds like he is reacting to some sort of pain, but whether it is back, neck, hip or ? pain, I don't know.  :-\  Poor guy!  I'm so glad that you are getting it checked out soon.  There are a lot of nice people here on BPO with lots of different kinds of ortho experience, so I'm sure that someone will have some thoughts for you.  Again, welcome and please let us know how it goes!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:53:55 am »
The arch in the back is compensation for an injury or other damage.  Our Newfie with bilateral patellar luxation has the same arch and shakes from muscle spasms, not pain.  One knee is grade three and the other was a four until the surgery.  He was about the same age when he started getting symptoms. 

Have you seen the Vet. yet?  They can tell a lot just manipulating the dog's legs.  We had a full diagnosis before the X-rays were done.  If they sedate the dog for x-rays, especially of the hips, you will get a much better view of the bones.

Got pictures of the dog?  If there is an angulation problem, one of the other OEM owners might notice it. 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline CuriousGeorge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:13:25 am »
he is going in on the 21st, under sedation....  did the surgery help?

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:47:21 pm »
I hope everything works out ok.  I also think it may be something else.  I've never known the arching of the back as a sign of HD, I could be totally wrong though! 

As I was reading this though my first thought was why is your vet waiting until the 21st??? 
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline CuriousGeorge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:32:24 pm »
we put him on glycoflex...to see if helped with the symptoms he was showing....  just with our schedules the 21st is the soonest