Author Topic: Fearful new pup  (Read 5394 times)

Offline kriklab

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Fearful new pup
« on: July 30, 2005, 06:32:52 pm »
I just adopted a beautiful little (tee hee) girl named 'Gracie' from a shelter.   ;D She is 11 months old and is a bit nervous.  I am working to socialize her to reduce her anxiety, and it is going pretty well.  My issue is.... She has started barking at people when they approach the house or yard and is not stopping when I say 'No' or 'Be nice'  ??? .  She does understand  the commands no, sit, leave it and be nice is a new one we are using with she and the cats.  I am a bit unsure of how to deal with the barking.  I don't mind a warning bark, but if I ask her to stop as it is a non-threatening person, I would like her to stop.  She is a big girl and is scary for folks who haven't met her yet and know that she is really very sweet.  She is particularly upset when people don't come up and say hello to her because they are afraid.  Any suggestions? Thanks! Kristy & Gracie

Offline Barongsd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • OurHouse German Shepherds
Re: Fearful new pup
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 07:03:35 pm »
Boy, thats a tough one. Both of mine bark when someone approachs our house or our property, but do not bark at all when away from it .... I think a lot has to do with their natural protective instinct ... sounds as if your little girl has taken ownership of her territory ..... the problem being you have to teach her to stop when you say "Stop" ... and yet you don't want her to not warn you of approaching people ... I like my live in alarm system ... what I do is let them bark until I see who it is .. then I use the word "QUIT" ... but then I have been doing that since they were puppies, and it took them a while to "get it" ... just make sure that your girl knows YOU are the ALPHA and what you say goes .... I am sure there are people on here that can help you better than I, since my dogs are brats most of the time and I have very little control over them ...  ;D ... good luck with your girl!!!
Randy & Debbi Marx
OurHouse German Shepherds
http://ourhouse48183.tripod.com
    Can/UKC Ch ShadowValleys Baron of OurHouse (AKC pt'd)
     Can Ch. ShadowValleys Nora B of OurHouse a.k.a. "Elle"

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 08:52:03 pm »
I am glad that you rescued your little girl and gave her a great life. I have not had that problem so I can't offer any advice other than to keep working with her. There are plenty of very expereinced people here though that should be able to give you great words of wisdom and encouragment and tips that have worked for them.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 04:14:55 pm »
Jasper is protective of his territory, too, so
...as a pup I tried to teach him to "bark" on cue-then the cue "enough" (Like the QUIT suggestion) to stop
I tried to say Bark! while he was barking...etc.
(he stopped barking to look at me since he thought it was so weird of me....)
He never did get it to Bark on cue, but eventually he did get the "enough" cue to stop.
I'd say 'enough' the minute he took a break and praised---good boy!
If you can anticipate losing her attention before it happens, you might distract her.....
ie.) call her to you to sit/give treat/praise
or use toy to engage her first.
Teach her an alternate behavior.
I heard a story that when they were trying to get a dog adopted at the shelter who barked at everyone...the y took a pvc pipe and ran it from the front of the kennel to the back, so when people approached-they put a biscuit in the pipe that came out at the backside of the kennel...so the dog learned to run to back of kennel when people approached---clever?
It just takes time!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 04:19:55 pm by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 02:37:03 pm »
I kind of have a similar issue. My guys get very protective. The only sugjestion I have is "Obedience" you have to swing the dogs focus to be on "YOU" & only you & what you want. Apache & Kiya will both behave separatley but together its "Tag team Duo". Good luck.
Carolyn
Carolyn