Author Topic: Cassie has a UTI - advice?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Cassie has a UTI - advice?
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:53:41 am »
I took Cass to the vet yesterday b/c night before last she started pacing by the door and when we'd let her out she'd squat to pee 3-4 times a minute.  Clearly a UTI, so I gave her 2 cranberry pills before bed, and she drank some of my canned food & water "soup" to push fluids, just to make her as comfy as possible over night and she went to the vet yesterday morning when they opened.  The vet said that Cassie had a little blood in her urine, so yes, it's a UTI.  She's on amoxicillin (sp?) & cranberry pills now so I wouldn't be worried except that she isn't drinking very much liquid and she doesn't like my "soup".  :-\  Just my luck, Sam & Daisy LOVE it!  ;D  ::)  Anyway, I've tried it now with 2 different canned foods.  Have any of you had any luck with other ways to push fluids when our pups aren't drinking enough?  I was thinking of trying beef broth diluted with water, but it's pretty salty.  If necessary, we could give her sub-q fluids at home (I have the fluids & the know-how, I've had to do it with 2 dogs & 1 cat before while they were sick), but I don't think that it's necessary yet.  I just want to be sure that she's getting enough fluid to flush the bacteria out while the meds do their work.  Suggestions?

BTW, I should add that she seems ok other than the fact that she's very sleepy.  She is eating her dry food ok.  Ideas?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

Re: Cassie has a UTI - advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:35:38 am »
Marie,

Have you tried Swanson's boxed chicken broth? It's in the soup section and if in a pinch it'll work. 'Low sodium' etc. I always have some home cooked/made put up in the freezer but this will work too, so I also have one or two boxes in the pantry.

I just went through a discussion with Rain and Whisper's Breeder this week and we were talking of the importance of Berries in the diet. Blueberries,Cranberries, etc. They can be fed in Yogurt and such.

There was a product called 'berry balance' Solid Gold put it out - but they are cutting back now days. Unfortunately, they are going to the mainstream money making mode. After many, many, MANY years of supporting and swearing by Solid Gold - I'll now tell you to look elsewhere.

Perhaps in the health food stores (GNC?) for human grade 'berry balance' you might find something comparative.

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:58 am »
Why in the heck didn't I think of Pedialyte? ? ? You are SO right Jenn!

That's what I gave an Orphen Foal some years ago.

(I'm such a Doofus.)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:02:54 am »
Thank you Jane & Jenn.  I'll try the Pedialyte (I keep it in the pantry for the kids) & ice, if that fails we'll run out to the store for the low-sodium Swanson's.  I used to keep that broth & an electrolytic solution for dogs & cats on hand, but I'm out and the vet solution has to be ordered, so it wouldn't be here until next week.  Shame on me for not being prepared.   ;)  Also, I thought that Innova Adult had cranberries in it, but I just looked at the bag and I was wrong.  It's our cat food that has cranberries in it.  I'd like to add them into the dogs' food to try and prevent further problems.  Do you know what kind (fresh, frozen, canned, juice, etc.) or how much I should give to them?  Either that or I can give them a cranberry pill daily.  Do you know what would be best? 

Oh & "doofus"?  Heck no!!!   ;D  :-*

Modified 'cause I forgot that whenever I type in 3 question marks it puts in the "huh?" smiley.  Silly me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:05:40 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:35 pm »
Rosie's had problems with recurring UTIs as a puppy. Now as an adult, she's on the Royal Canin Urinary SO13 veterinary diet, which balances the chemicals in her urine and actually urges her to drink more water. And as supplements to her food, we give her cranberry tablets, vitamin C, and some methionine powder, as preventative measures.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:36:33 am »
Rosie's had problems with recurring UTIs as a puppy. Now as an adult, she's on the Royal Canin Urinary SO13 veterinary diet, which balances the chemicals in her urine and actually urges her to drink more water. And as supplements to her food, we give her cranberry tablets, vitamin C, and some methionine powder, as preventative measures.

Thanks, I'll have to look into those for Cassie, too.  Yesterday she was so quiet & sleepy, but last night we knew that she was starting to feel better when she walked into the living room squeaking her tennis ball and then tossed it in the air & chased it. ;D  Yep, my little girl is feeling better!  ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:23:59 am »
Thank you!  Cassie sends you all a nice big Pyr-ish lean & snuggle.  Yes, I think that most people use electrolytic solutions for vomiting or diarrhea, but Halley used to get a little lethargic when she wasn't drinking well and the e-solutions would really perk her up and get her drinking better again, so I thought that it was worth a try with Miss Cassafras.  As it turned out, Cassie loved the ice cubes.  She said that they are great to lick, eat *and* shoot around the dish like a hockey puck.  ;)  :D  It was pretty cute!  She's been busy this evening playing shark-y games (I think that some call it "mouth fighting") with Daisy, begging for treats, and snuggling in our laps.  So although she'll be on the meds for another week or so, she's back to normal.  :D  When she finishes the course of antibiotics, the vet wants to check her urine again to be sure the infection is completely gone, so we'll know that she's completely better after that.
Marie

And my pups:

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:52:53 pm »
It sounds like she's back to her usual self now. That's great news! The round of antibiotics seem to be reliable when it comes to UTIs. We were glad to have found a good balance of preventative stuff to give Rosie to avoid her recurring bouts with UTIs to begin with. The cost of avoiding it is well worth it!
Rosie - Newfoundland