Author Topic: Issues treating an infected paw  (Read 3842 times)

List

Issues treating an infected paw
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:25:57 am »
Ok so Boston is now 8 months old and weighs about 78 lbs. When he was 5 months, he caught one his nails in a door, which resulted in an infected foot. Which was painful for him, and even more so when we needed to clean it. Since then he has become very difficult when trimming nails, etc...

Well the other day we noticed that one of Boston's paws was bleeding. It was a small cut, but we literally had to wrestle him to clean it. I've been trying to check it but even that is difficult. It seems to be getting worse, and as it does Boston becomes more protective over his foot. My vet recommemded soaking his foot in epsom salts, but how do I do this with a dog who is almost impossible to treat? I've been trying slowly (with a lot of treats) to get him comfortable handling his paws, and for the most part he's great with that. But as soon as anything else is involved, i.e. nail clippers, bandages, etc.... he flips. Both my fiance and I hate having to wrestle him to do this. But we're at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Issues treating an infected paw
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:20:01 am »
as far as treating with epsom salts is concerned, could you draw up a shallow bath in the tub and have him just stand in there, if you sat right next to him and patted him a lot? My only other idea is that my guy Sammy tends to be a lot more laid-back at night, when he's really tired or maybe half-asleep. What if you made sure Boston got a good long energetic day in, and then tried to work on the foot in the evening when he's all tired out?

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Issues treating an infected paw
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:49:11 am »
How about a spray bottle and squirt on the solution when the dog is sleepy?  I did that with a feral dog I couldn't safely touch and a matted wound.  Put on something noisy in the background so the sound of the bottle squirting doesn't cause a learned response.

Ditto the patience.  The last dog we had with touchy paws took a bit more than a year before she would let me cip all her nails in one session.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua