Author Topic: 'Tucky has smoker's cough...Advice?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
'Tucky has smoker's cough...Advice?
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:58:46 am »
I came home today and Kentucky is coughing like she has smoker's cough - a deep, chesty cough. Every once in a while she will try to hack something up, but nothing comes out - no bile, no spittle, nothing.

Other than the cough and hacking, she seems perfectly normal - she's happy, energetic, bouncing around. And, if she settles down, she doesn't cough.  She at fine and is now happily working on a chewie.

I tried sticking my finger down her throat to see if she had anything caught, but didn't feel anything.

Any ideas?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tucky has smoker's cough...Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:42:56 am »
I wonder if it would be safe to have her eat/drink something soft & smooth & watery to see if maybe she just has a bit of grass or something goofy that she ate stuck in her throat.  Though w/o knowing if it's something safe to swallow, I don't know if that's a good idea.  I guess that if you think that she's ok otherwise, that might be ok to try.  Sorry for rambling, but w/o seeing her, I'm not sure what I would do.  Daisy did something similar the other night and after we gave her a soft treat she stopped coughing.  If 'Tucky keeps it up, you may want to get her checked out.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:07:05 am »
i have come home a few times to that sound as well....i find that the house is too dry...if bring her in the shower and let her lick the water from the faucet, she is fine.  I

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:59:34 am »
Whew! You guys are making me feel a lot better. After her chewy, she hasn't coughed at all. Maybe she did just have something stuck...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:03:08 am »
It does sound like she just got something stuck, that's what Daisy did, too.  I'm glad that she's doing well now!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:28:44 pm »
Well, she was still coughing this morning so we took her to the vet. Apparently she swollowed something that irritated her throat. Good news is, nothing is lodged there, and her heart sounds fantastic. So, she is on Clavamox and cough syrup for a week.

Even better news, the cough syrup is supposed to make her drowsy!!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:39:05 am »
Since the cough came back it's good that you had it checked out.  So now you know that you don't have to worry.  Here's hoping that 'Tucky finds the cough med to be nice & relaxing.  Years ago we had to give Cara benedryl while were on a RV road trip.  Just my luck, it didn't make her sleepy, she was wired!  I didn't think even a Pyr could bark *that* much! LOL  ;)  ;D  ::)
Marie

And my pups: