Author Topic: Transportation Needed!  (Read 11080 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Transportation Needed!
« on: July 30, 2005, 07:44:59 pm »
We are going to be fostering Lesli310's pregnant Saint Bernard. The only problem is we need help getting her to us. The saint is in Petersburg, Virginia. We are in Michigan City, Indiana
Will anyone help us?(I will also be asking some people on another board I go on aswell, so I will let you guys know!)

here's the yahoo map for anyone!

Yahoo Map
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Transportation Needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 07:52:07 pm »
I wish we  could help so badly. You are awesome to be fostering the pregnant momma.Good luck in finding people. I am confident transportation will not be a problem for you.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 08:15:56 pm »
As I told dober_gurl I saw a show on Animal Planet where they had to transport an dog a long distance, they got together with some friends and other dog people and met in between the two states. It was like six or seven different people and they passed the dog off to the next until he finally got to his new forever home. If I could I would take her all the way to Indiana but since my boyfriend will be driving...I guess I'll have to ask him...okay he said about two hours one way, which is great considering when we got Thor in May I promised we wouldn't take anymore road trips for the fur babies.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 08:46:53 pm »
We are not living "on the way" there, but I hope you get help. Hmmmm something that just hit me, one of the rescue groups I work for, well we have had quite a few "rescue drivers" jump off lately and until we have the number of drivers up again, we are struggling to transport too. But one person said that www.petabuse.c om have started a transport organization. I real all the newsletters and action letters from them but I have to admit I have not been browsing around the site lately. You might want to look into that though, I have no idea if it has to be an organized rescue group, but hopefully they could help with a leg or two in the transport.

Marit

Ps. dober_gurl Hats off to you, how super of you to take in the pregnant moma. I hope everything goes well and now we are waiting on bunches of pics  :D
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:24:30 pm »
Can you post a proposed route with legs one to 1.5 hour lengths? Then, we'd be better able to tell you if we are on or near the route to be able to drive a leg.
Example:

Victoria City - Central City: 65 miles - NEEDED

Central City - Gotham City: 105 Miles - FILLED

Gotham City - Middleton: 85 Miles - NEEDED

etc...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 10:54:30 pm »
I so wish I could be of help dober_gurl. I am in NC,so once left VA, the transport is just making it further and further away from me.

But you have a real nice professional rescue "transport leg" list there. It is much easier for people to see if they can help or not with a list like this.

Again Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 12:10:49 am »
We are sending prayers from California that all legs of the trip are filled soon!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 07:21:22 am »
I guess Alabama is the wrong way.  Please let us know if there is anything else we can do (calls, e-mails)

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 01:09:31 pm »
Dobergurl,
NO WAY! YOU ARE IN MICHIGAN CITY???????[/b]

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is too cool!!! I wanna meet the mama! Please, Please, please??????  And your dogs! Where do you live? I live by Elston. Right next to it.

I don't know how I could help, since I'm in the place that you are, but, if you need anything related to home, let me know. (If you need me to come and snuggle and love on the new pups, I'm ALL FOR IT!) Or if you need anyone to help you with her, or if you need a sitter for her, whatever!

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 02:43:42 pm »
dobergurl that sounds fine and we can do the first run maybe a little further if I can sweet talk my boyfriend. I'm still looking around to see if I can fll in some spots too. Thank you and everyone else who's helping, I know Kahula and the pups will have a wonderful home.

Offline mikesroth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 09:39:12 am »
When are you looking to move her?  We are supposed to get our Puppy from our Breeder in about 2 weeks (Friday the 12th), is that later than you are looking?  We are coming from Maryland and going up to Ohio (Toledo area).  I would still have to talk to my wife about it, but we might be able to cover a fair portion of the trip.  I am assuming she'd fit in our Minivan. :)

Michael
Newfie on the Way.....

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 11:22:41 am »
I just tried to call Bonita and I got her answering machine. I left a message and I'll try again later.  I want to go over there and look at her, that way I can get a better idea of how skinny she is and maybe how far along she is. Mike the 12 is great for me if its alright with dobergurl. I think I might even be off that day if not it'll have to be early cause I got to work at three.

Mike what kind of puppy are you getting?

Offline mikesroth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 12:22:25 pm »
Mike what kind of puppy are you getting?

Oh, if another place 'along' my path in Ohio is better, I can do that.  I just know that where I am going to visit, is near Toledo. :)  We are picking up a Newf Puppy.  Our breeder is from Canada, but we have a mutual friend that he is visiting, so I thought I would too.
Newfie on the Way.....

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 02:32:36 pm »
So, dobergurl...am I going to get to come over and pet the little darlins? ;)

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 02:41:51 pm »
What's her story? I fostered a Saint girl about a year or so ago. I used to work for the Michiana Humane Society, and she was so skinny! She needed to come home with me at night to get an extra meal. She was such a honey! She now lives with an attorney, Bill Herrbach, do ya know him?