Author Topic: Favorite Art/Artists??  (Read 3174 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Favorite Art/Artists??
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:10:41 am »
Every couple years I get on a kick about buying new artwork for the house. This is a BIG deal to me. I am what my husband calls an "Arty Farty", lol....could spend days in a museum, will happily surf art.com for hours, have literally hundreds of art books and magazines, and have been known to cry over a piece that really moves me (at the VanGogh Museum in Amsterdam I could not stop the tears and felt like a bit of an @ss...until a man standing near me wiped his eyes and gave me a "I can't help it" shrug and smile, lol). So, it is VERY important to me to have artwork in my home that inspires me...whether it is to relax me, make me laugh, or fill me with awe. I am currently on the quest again to find some new art, and am open to suggestions!

I tend to prefer more modern art.....Post-Impressionist, Symbolist, Art Nouveau, Modernism, and more abstract stuff. I love VanGogh, Klimt, Munch, and Chagall. I love Rothko....have one of his prints here in my office. I am a huge fan of many Les Nabis artists like Pierre Bonnard, Edouard Vuillard, and Paul Sérusier. I usually like landscapes and still lifes over art depicting people. And I absolutely adore trees...have many prints of them!

I am really not concerned with era and/or movement....I think the important thing about art is just that it "speaks" to you.  Please share with me some of your favorites! 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:11:39 am by shine »
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

lins_saving_grace

Re: Favorite Art/Artists??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:36:16 am »
Michael Whalen.  he designed the MeatLoaf album covers and also has done so much other stuff.   
I also hang my own art work...photogr aphy and crosstitch.   
so it's a dea tie between the two.  :) 

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:01:55 am »
ooh. this is a tough one... I got a major in studio art (and psychology, but everyone always forgets I'm also a psychologists), so it's always hard to select even a group of favorites! for pretty trees and flowers and sometimes animals, check out Audrey Kawasaki (just google her, I'm sure she has a site). Although she usually does have people in her works -mostly one or two girls, very dreamy, nostalgic, delicate and even naughty, with heavy lines and adorable details... She is a young, definitely up-and-coming artist in San Francisco...
Also, and here goes some shameless promotion, I used to work at this gallery ---> http://www.glovinskygallery.com/  and the owner (who used to be my counselor in high school  ;)) has an amazing collection of original prints by masters of back in the 50s. In fact, she even has a Miró -signed in pencil and everything. OOh, and great prints by contemporary artist duo Kozyndan. Their stuff is funny and creepy and amazing all at the same time. Simple and skillful... you kind of have to have a sense of humor... Also, there is a selection of her own works (she likes to do pretty abstract paintings, incorporating poetry and references to chess -since she is a poet and a chessmaster), as well as works by some amazing local artist here in Denver, CO... and a couple of paintings by *cough* me *cough* Check it out.

I hope this helps...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:03:34 am by Rosalba »
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:50:05 am »
I visited the Van Gogh museum (although I never did get the Dutch pronunciation right)

LOL...my husband and I always chuckle when we use the Dutch pronunciation.  Don't think it is possible to type it....but I'll try...

Van Hcghccgccockhg ccchhk

Sounds like you are hawking a loogie on both of the G's (Van *G*o*G*h).  It's quite disgusting, lol!
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:25:50 am »
I am really into Brian Andreas who is a local artist here in Ann Arbor--his art prints can be found at www.16handsgal lery.com. I also really love my best friend's mom's art. Her name is Terry Braunstein (www.terrybraun stein.com) and she's in Long Beach, CA. She does a lot of photo montage (I have 2 of her prints in my home) and lots of really cool public art.  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 04:38:08 am »
Pyr4me....I didn't know you lived in Livonia!  I grew up in Ann Arbor...lived there for more than 30 years.  Been to Livonia many, many times.  Always happy to meet a fellow Michigander!
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:39:21 am »
I'm in Grand Rapids!!! 

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 05:17:17 am »
Pyr4me....I didn't know you lived in Livonia!  I grew up in Ann Arbor...lived there for more than 30 years.  Been to Livonia many, many times.  Always happy to meet a fellow Michigander!

Hello back, fellow Michigander!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 12:02:29 pm »
I just applied for a job in Ann Arbor.  I can't believe the difference in salaries between GR and Ann Arbor.