Author Topic: Akasha's story (South African Boerboel...lots 'o pics)  (Read 14386 times)

Erin

Akasha's story (South African Boerboel...lots 'o pics)
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:47:31 pm »
Hi all.  I just joined today, hope I'm putting this in the right place  :P And I tend to ramble, just so you're warned!

My husband and I were thinking of adding a second dog (ok, I was obsessed with it forever, haha) to our family.  We have a Great Dane and I just figured that's what our second dog would be.  We got word there was a dane at the city shelter and went down to check him out, but it wasn't going to work out with him.  So we decided to check out the other dogs there... so heartbreaking  :(

They showed us 'Peggy Sue' (her name at the time) and she was this pitiful, fearful 83 pound dog that just looked scared and rough.  She obviously had been bred quite a bit, even though she was estimated to be around 2 or 3 years of age.  Despite her condition and being fearful, there wasn't an ounce of aggression in her.  I have to admit, I had never rescued a dog before and didn't want to get in too deep with a dog that had serious issues.  But after spending a bunch of time with her that night, I was hooked.  She was soooo sweet and just had this "love me!!!" face and wanted to give you her paw.  Come to find out later (after we said we wanted her), if we weren't going to adopt her she was going to be PTS the next day.

We were told she was a South African Boerboel, not your average shelter dog.  Come to find out through the power of the internet (found like the one boerboel breeder around here.. she was on their website still) that she's actually from South Africa.  Crazy that someone imported a dog and went through all that trouble to mistreat them.  >:(  She was basically a breeding bitch used as a puppy factory.  Before we even brought her home, she was spayed.

Anyway, she met our Great Dane Chops and they got along, we signed the papers and she's been at home since.  ;D  She's awesome.  Her and Chops are the best of friends (and partners in crime, haha)

I am TOTALLY amazed at the change in her.  We brought her home December 12th.  Here is the before and after pics... I can't believe when I see her bounding around without a care in the world that in December she was fearful and wary of everything.   She's now almost 100 lbs (of muscle.. she's a tank!)

BEFORE:  :'(

AFTER:  :D

(ok, i'd better stop with the pictures... or i'll just keep going and going and going, haha)

lorim2

Re: Akasha's story (South African Boerboel...lots 'o pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:56:13 pm »
Hi Erin..I'm Lori..mom to many critters!  I have always loved SAB dogs..They are amazing pups and your Akashas story is so sad.  Thank god she found you guys...Her and Chops look like they are having a great time!  Welcome and you will love it here...You can never post enough pics!!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »
What a sad story. I'm so happy she has a great life with you and your family... She looks so wonderful.
Give her a big squeeze for me :)

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:55:53 pm »
Wow, what a night and day difference! How wonderful! Oh, and welcome to BPO. You'll fit right in - pictures are NOT negotiable. We MUST have them. Regularly.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Erin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:07:50 pm »
Wow, what a night and day difference! How wonderful! Oh, and welcome to BPO. You'll fit right in - pictures are NOT negotiable. We MUST have them. Regularly.

Well, I have over 9000 pictures in my computer, so it looks like I get to stay for a while  ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »
That is such a cool story.  I love the pics!!!  Especially her wide-eyed and zooming!!  Welcome!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:20:44 am »
Welcome!  I totally loved your story!  Here I am at work...getting all teary-eyed!  It's such a wonderful thing that you have done for her...just to think if you had waited a day!  YIKES!!  It's so amazing to see her bond with Chops- what a wonderful little family you have there!

Keep the the pics coming; I'm bunkered down and ready for the 8,992 more! 

By the way, I'm (also) Liz and momma to Winston (a rescued Newfie-ish clown) and my sweet boy, Champ (an English Golden Retriever). 

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:30:40 am »
What a moving story with such a happpy ending for all! Welcome to BPO.  :)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:27 am »
How Sad,Glad you were there that day for her,she looks great! Great job ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:01:42 am »
Hey Erin! I'm Samantha, mom to Miles, a 7 month old Great Pyrenees. Welcome to BPO! You'll love it here. ;) I'm so happy that Akasha found such a wonderful home. I can't believe what the poor thing went through before you rescued her from being PTS. :'(

Your pups are just beautiful!!!

You'll fit right in - pictures are NOT negotiable. We MUST have them. Regularly.

Well, I have over 9000 pictures in my computer, so it looks like I get to stay for a while  ;)

Woohooo!!! Can't wait to see them all!!! ;D :D :D ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees