Author Topic: All I want for Valentine's Day is.....  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
All I want for Valentine's Day is.....
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:48:46 am »
a dog named Jake from the Wisconsin Humane Society. He's a lab/newfoundland mix, and he's been there for what seems like forever. He's 3 years old, and I don't get why he's not adopted yet! He looks so great. I want him so bad, but my boyfriend said no :( I want to go visit him at least, but I know if I do that, I might leave with him, and the bf would not be a very happy camper. :'( :'( :'(

This guy has been their featured pet quite often. He's been on the news adopt a pet segment, on the radio....I feel like I NEED to go get this dog. I've never felt like that about a dog at the shelter. I mean, of course I always want to take all of them home, but Jake. I need him. :-\

*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: All I want for Valentine's Day is.....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:04 am »
MAYBE....if I tell the bf that if he lets me get the dog, that will take care of valentine's day and my bday (they're the same day) for the next 5 years!!! hahaha :D :D

I hope it works!!! :)

Chances are slim though :(
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:01:01 am »
Shoot, he looks like a Pyrfect buddy for Miles  ;)
What a sweety! I am surprised he didn't get adopted right away  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:02:40 am »
Do it! Pets are forever! Boy Friends? Well? Who knows.

Go with your heart. As long as you have the means for his proper care and the love in your heart.

OR - You could offer to Foster? Just to make sure.. Make sure your puppers get on well together.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:08:36 am »

OR - You could offer to Foster? Just to make sure.. Make sure your puppers get on well together.
Great suggestion Jane!

"You can do it, we can help!"
Mary W. Crane

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:33:43 am »
I dont know...i agree, how angry would he be?!  Looks like a great play buddie for your Pyr.  Our men just need to understand what WE need...like a new pig paw  ;) ;)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:37:39 am »
Someone on this board has said that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:28:37 am by DaneInsane »
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:40:16 am »
Go for it, he looks like a very sweet dog. When I got Clifford I said no Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas presents, promised to vacuum everyday and I forget what else. I think that is how he knew just how serious I was. ;D Good Luck

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:47:17 am »
Unfortunately we live together so he has a say....sorta. hahahaha I texted him about it (he's working right now)...and I didn't get a response back. hahaha But when he gets home, I'll keep working on him. hahaha ;D

He didn't want to get a dog at all at first, but I told him that if he didn't want a dog, he obviously didn't love me enough because a dog is what would make me happy (a great pyrenees in particular. hahaha). Then, he said, "Ok, fine" hahaha This was a year ago though. I don't think I can pull that one again. hahahaha.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:39 am »
I have never been able to have a permission to get a dog without some tough negotiation. For my first dog I couldn't have a boyfriend until I graduated HS, for second I couldn't transfer colleges, for Lily I can't have children for 3 years  ;D Not easy but so worth it  :D

Maybe you can come up with something Samantha  ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:00:05 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 10:14:20 am »
"Someone on this board has said that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission."

Only if you are in junior high... :P

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:52 pm »
Just to put it out there, in general, I do not condone lying  and scheming in relationships. .. But, TO THE h*ll WITH IT!  ::) He's such a beautiful!  So, my tried and true piece of advice is to pull the "Omigosh!  Look who I saw walking on the edge of the busy road, in the cold, scared, hungry, blah, blah, blah!"  Then, propose that you will just "foster" him until you can find him a home.....

Good luck!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:02:48 pm »
Oh boy, do I hate to be the detractor here but......what if:
1. You and the bf break up (hate to mention that, sorry!) but if that happened, would you be able to rent/buy a place by yourself that allowed 2 large dogs?
2. How does your bf take surprises?  For example, is he likely to love and accept another BP or will he resent him, and if he did resent him, how would the bf treat the pup? 

I'm sure that you've thought of these questions, but I had to mention them just in case....   I kinda like Jane's idea of fostering so that you can see how Miles & the bf both react before committing, but the problem is that this sweet boy is going to think that he is "home" once he gets to your house and you're most likely going to be head over heels in love (I know that I would be  ;)), so it's a gamble for all involved.  Is this pup safe in that shelter or is he at risk to be PTS since he's been there so long?  That would have to be a huge part of my decision.  If you take him & it doesn't work out with Miles or the bf, do you have a back up solution like a friend or family member that would be willing to adopt him?  JMHO   :-\   I think that it's wonderful that you want to help him!  ((Hugs)) whatever you decide.....
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:22 pm »
I think the fostering idea is a great one! I've always wanted a foster. And, well, I've always been afraid to because I would be the biggest foster failure ever. hahaha

The Wisconsin Humane Society isn't a high kill shelter (thank DOG, or this guy would be gone by now for sure  :()

The only con I thought of, is that if Jake needs a crate (which I would definitely think I should consider it. Being 3 yrs old he shouldnt get into too much trouble, but ya never know!), I don't know where I'd put it without it looking like I own gorillas. hahaha The crate I have for Miles is HUGE! Maybe I could get a bit smaller one for the other pup so its not SO gorilla like.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 05:34:42 pm »
Boy this is a tough one- I personally would say to heck with it and do it - but I would only do it if I were prepared for major chaos. But who am I to even comment on this- I personally went and pulled 13 Pyrenees from a kill shelter all at once.
The main concern should be for Jake. If there is any chance that he would end up back in a shelter then there is no way you could adopt him or foster him. And why is the BF so dead set against another dog. You know that is another issue- you are a dog person, is he a dog person or was he just humoring you with Miles?
My husband has his interest and I share participate in that interest with him (even if it puts me in a cold creek with out waders) and he supports me and my rescue efforts.

I hope that Jake gets a good home, we all know the dilema that black dogs seem to have when they are up for adoption.