Author Topic: I REALLY want another dog!!  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
I REALLY want another dog!!
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:21:05 pm »
So as you may know, my hubby and I have been going back and forth on this issue. He is on the fence about it, but last week was perusing local shelter listings and sending me links. We followed up on one big boy, a black goldendoodle. Turns out he had just been adopted that same day. Wasn't meant to be - that's ok. So I start telling hubby about three dogs in a shelter about an hour away, and he's back to not wanting to do it right now. I'm still working on him. (Grrr...) Anyway, there's one boy that I really really really want to meet. The shelter said he's super-mellow and laid back. He was a stray and came in all skinny and flea bitten. They said he's the kind of dog that would not care if one of the kids crawled over him. He sounds only perfect!! He's a dane/am. bulldog mix, approximatly 3 years old. I have to get my hubby to come around! The shelter he's at hasn't been a kill shelter in 2 years, but currently they have 87 dogs and are going to have to start PTS puppers due to overcrowding. I talked to the adoption coordinator and she's really upset about it. Anyway, here he is... What do you think?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: I REALLY want another dog!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:40:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He looks like a real sweetie! I think he needs to come home with you! I hope you take him and give him the loving home he needs! Keeping our paws crossed Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:25:14 pm »
Julie - you make a lot of sense, and I really did try to let it go, but then he started to spontaneously send me links! So then I got all excited again...then the goldendoodle didn't work out and he's being all wierd again.
I'd have an easier time not mentioning it if I hadn't already seen pics of and heard about Sampson (the dane mix). THEN I heard about the sheter having to start euthanizing, and NOW I'm all worried about Sampson.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:16:50 am »
Since the shelter is getting overcrowded, would they let you foster the dog?  Having him dog in the house might help your hubby decide.  What a sweet face!

Every relationship is different, and I would never want to suggest anything that might provoke discord, but could you bring the dog home "without permission?" 

After 27 years of me dragging home strays, fosters, and a few grocery store pups that stayed, my hubby would let me keep the dog.  Especially if I told him it was for him.  His Wally has a thread in the Cane Corso section.

I am curious what testing the shelter does that helped them decide the dog would be good with kids.  I get asked once in a while to evaluate a dog and find it difficult since we don't have any kids to scamper past the dogs while shrieking and that sort of thing.

Best of luck getting him home.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:09:30 am »
Sampson is a really good looking dog!!

I know we are in very similar situations - I also want another dog and husband really doesn't I have won every battle in our marriage and he is sticking to his guns on this one (It doesn't help that Harley antagonizes hubby everyday!!).

In the past month I have found 2 dogs that I really wanted and that I feel needed me - hubbies answers to my e-mails were always...Oh yeah that is just what we need go pick him up!!  Or only $50 and 8 hours of your time (that was the price of one and the distance from my house).

He would come home from work and ask so when are you going to get it...not when can we go see it.   This last one Isabelle the Mastiff was a close one I really though we would get her but the timing was off since I couldn't take her until 2/24 and they needed to rehome her quickly.  If they called today and said great you can have her I would be thrilled!! BUT I know that hubby would let me have her and at some point really like her; but would he resent me for pushing so hard when I know he doesn't really want another dog right now?  I haven't heard from Isabelles family for a few days so I assume I am not the chosen one as long as she has a home I'm fine with that and it will make my life less complicated as well.  I guess after all those long winded words my point is - is it worth pushing your husband and if he gives in will he be resentful of money, time and potential mess another dog might make?

Obviously, I would push harder if I thought Isaballe would have been PTS - I would have had to pull her and help find another home if that were the case.

I think sit hubby down explain how badly you want another dog and tell him if he really doesn't he has to stop sending you links to dogs!  It only gets your hopes up and then makes you angry when he says no.

Sorry if this is preachy!

Randy

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 04:10:05 am »
How can your husband say no to that face?!  I'd bring your husband up to the shelter and go and visit the cutie pie.  Chances are pretty good that he would be leaving with you (I can't step a foot in a shetler, because I always end up bringing an animal home with me).       
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:32:48 am »
LEAVE YOUR HUSBAND ALONE ALREADY!

There. I said it. I couldn't hold it in any longer.

Julie's post was much more diplomatic, I know. I mean everything that she said, but I just don't have the niceness in me this morning. Just let the issue drop and use the time that you are online looking at Petfinder to walk Tani, brush Tani, teach Tani a new trick. If you didn't obsess about another dog, and loved the one you have, you wouldn't be so sad about it.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 05:33:42 am »
Ouch.

You're right, and you sound like my husband in fact. Except for one thing: I'm not "obsessing" because I DON'T love Tani. She is the rockin-ist dog ever. She's my girl, and I fought to be able to bring her to CA. I walk her AND work on her tricks. (Not so much grooming - she is remarkably soft coated and not smelly or tangly). This is the first time for her being an only dog. She seems ok, but she has taken to chasing the cats, which she never used to do. I wondered if that meant that she missed having a canine buddy. I looked at this particular shelter when hubby sent me his own links. I followed up on the one HE picked and it didn't work out. I'm confused by his behavior, that's all. If I knew for a fact that Sampson wasn't going to be PTS, I'd let it go. But now I know that he may be, and we haven't even given him a chance to see if he fits in with us.  BTW, the other link he sent me was an Anatolian Shepherd.

To Mynameislola: I could NEVER bring home a pup from a shelter without permission. If I found one abandoned somewhere, that'd be different, because he'd want to help, too. But to go and process an application and bring home a dog against his wishes would really feel bad, and would totally wreck the excitement of it all...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:45:59 am »
Anatolian, and that poodle mix... Maybe you husband is just looking for a FLUFFY dog? I have that feeling that fluffier is better, more cuddly, for example. My GSD are quite short haired, they are from East European working likes, and they are not even close to fluffy German showline GSD... And I feel that my hands are more keen to rub not them, but our St.Bernard who is LH. Maybe that's it with your husband? I would need a serious fight with myself to bring home a shorthair dog, especially these bulldog types - I just do not like them. Not their temperament and character, but how they look. Just my personal likes and dislikes. Just an idea, maybe it helps.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:35:17 am »
What an adorable face but if hubby says no..then...

why did you have to rehome some dogs?
Sorry i missed out on that being new and all.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:04:21 am »
Ouch.

You're right, and you sound like my husband in fact. Except for one thing: I'm not "obsessing" because I DON'T love Tani.

I'm sure you love Tani. I didn't mean to imply that you don't. I just meant that if you were actively doing stuff with her, you wouldn't have time for your heartstrings to be pulled by other doggies in need.

Believe me. I've worked in rescue, I've fostered, etc. I KNOW that the need out there is insane. But, I'm not spending any time in that realm right now, and I'm just enjoying Cabeza and it isn't bothering me. If I took the time to indulge in it like looking on petfinders and checking my shelter, I would be miserable.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 02:54:24 pm »
I just dropped of an application to volunteer at the Sonoma County Humane Society.  :)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 02:56:27 pm »
Good for you!!! It is such a rewarding opportunity  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 04:05:28 am »
Ali,
I just want to say that I think that is a wonderful idea. But, please, please PLEASE be careful that you don't use that as an opportunity to get super attached to a dog and then "have" to bring him home.

Believe me. I've also volunteered at shelters. Its almost harder to volunteer at one when you area already desperately wanting another dog. You get very emotionally involved and convince yourself that you HAVE to bring home this one or that one. He "neeeeeeeds" you. He's only got "three days left!" He's "all black! Nobody will adopt him!" Etc. etc. etc.

Just be prepared. You are vulnerable emotionally and it is going to be very hard for you to not try and bring them all home!