Author Topic: Abused and Starved Big Paw needs help  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Abused and Starved Big Paw needs help
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 04:51:47 am »
WOW that is so great that he is doing so well. I love the name Cody. I had a foster named Cody and he was the best dog ever. I bawled my face off when he was adopted.

I hope they catch the A-hole that did this to Cody. I'm glad that he found you, and I am sure he will find a wonderful home. He deserves the best.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 05:00:20 am »
Wow! Your post made me weep thinking of all the dogs I rescued that were in similar condition. I know exactly what you and Cody will be going through and send you big props. Of course you couldn't leave him there!! Cody is a lucky boy to have two such wonderful women looking after him. I wish I could send a donation, but I'm at negative balance this month right now, but I'm sending lots of prayers and if I could send some of my extra fat for Cody I would in a heartbeat!!

Hang in there, Cody - we can't wait to see pictures of you up and running around!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 04:20:12 pm »
he got adopted? I thought he was being fostered...whe re does it say adopted??????? I know many people who would take him!!!

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:45:02 pm »
Cody has not been adopted, the lovely shiloh shep in the story above, Fuzzy, was adopted.

I still can't believe Cody came back HW negative. Praise GOD! All of us thought that HW treatment would be too much, and might kill him. My vet is still really very suspicious and is planning another check in 90 days and again in 6 months to insure somehow the test wasn't wrong. She said it's just to strange for him to not be HW+.

We are noticing some issues with Cody that really push that he was abused. He is fearful and when you approach too fast he shakes and slowly lowers himself to the ground. Earlier I walked in to let him out and I had a pooper scooper in my hand that I had just bought to go clean the backyard and when he saw the pooper scooper he immediatly turned his back on me and balled up in the corner shaking. He wouldnt look back up at me until I put the scooper away and came in and sat down in front of him and lifted his head and told him it was ok. Then he crawled forward and put his head in my lap but he still wouldnt look at me. It took about 15 minutes before I could convince him to go outside.

He did very carefully approach me with his stuffed duck in his mouth today, and dropped it in my lap, but then he appeared to think better and retreated back to his closet to watch me. When I gave the duck back to him he wouldnt take it from me but when I set it down he watched me for a minute then slowly picked it up and high tailed it back to his bed.

He breaks my heart daily... but he is the sweetest most "honest" (for lack of a better term) dog out there. I love him to death, and I really hope he finds his perfect home eventually, but I know he'll be here for 6 months or so.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 05:27:19 pm »
Ohhhh, that just breaks my heart.  Sammy still cringes sometimes if one of the kids makes a loud sound.  Poor babies, it's hard to believe that someone could treat them like that.  Awww, I have a hunch that Cody is going to really love his toys if he has a favorite ducky already.  We'll just keep hoping & praying that his follow up HW tests come back negative also.  In your area is it almost unheard of for a dog to be HW neg. w/o HW preventative?  If so, it's almost impossible to believe that someone that could starve, beat & dump him would give him HW meds, isn't it?  I wonder if he came from somewhere else & was dumped?  These are probably questions that will never have answers.   :(  :(  I sure wish that I had more info about Sammy, too.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:26 pm »
With every word you write about Cody, I fall for him a little bit more. 

He is a beautiful boy and I hope he finds someone who will just make him the center of their world.  Heck, I would if I could.
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline luvmyboys

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
  Is Cody fixed?  Cause I just fell in love. :-*  I have two male dogs, one fixed one not.  I have been looking for another dobie for about 1&1/2 years. There aren't many in the shelters around here (Eastern Oregon), and any that I found were scheduled to be put down due to aggression. I would really appreciate more information about Cody, I think he would love being part of my family. 

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 07:49:32 pm »
He's not neutered yet as he is too weak/emaciated to go through the surgery but in six months or so when he's ready for adoption he will be neutered, microchipped, have all shots, the whole nine yards...

I do have a very pretty dobergirl that got pulled from the same death row as Cody, and she is ready to go now http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,21672.0.html  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:50:11 pm by whiskeyandsake »

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 12:14:29 am »
Forgot to mention:

if any of you want to leave messages or words of support for Cody, we have just implemented a message board. You can go to www.helpsaveco dy.com and click on "What people are saying" link on the left hand menu. The website is going public on the news/paper on Sunday so if there's something you want to say.... well :)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets