Author Topic: Dodgie breeder  (Read 4046 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Dodgie breeder
« on: July 31, 2005, 12:20:56 pm »
I'm not sure what we should do... We got Cooper (a Newfy mix) from a backyard breeder.  We learned the hard way that it wasn't the smartest thing to do -after thousands of dollars for hip surgeries related to hip dysplasia.  I called the woman in May after he was diagnosed to tell her he had dysplasia.  She had told me when I bought him that there wasn't any dysplasia in the lineage.  Anyway, long story short, we just saw an ad in today's paper that they have another litter for sale.  Obviously the damage is done with more puppies already on the way but I feel like we should do something.  And I'm also wondering about the timing.  How long does it take to breed a dog?  I mean, did she breed after I told her about Cooper?
Maggie

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
Re: Dodgie breeder
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 03:05:15 pm »
Gosh!  That is very sad...  BEauty had her litter in April, she is due to come back into heat in August, but won't be bred again until next April. Back to back breeding of a female is very hard on them, for heavens sake they are worn out from carrying, delivering, and nursing their babies!   It does not take long to breed a dog, and about 64 days until my girl delivers from the date of breeding.  I have heard some people say their females come back into heat right after weaning, and sometimes during nursing.  I can't remember what that is called???  I guess for me, we hobby breed the Kuvasz, I check lines back 3-5 generations before  breeding to be sure there is not a prevelance of HD or other genetic defects. There is ALWAYS the chance you will get a dysplastic pup in a litter no matter how clean the line is, as you said unless you go back to the ORIGINAL dogs you won't know 100%.The best one can do is check as thoroughly as possible.  Do you know how many of her pups ended up with dysplasia? 
 Registering xrays with OFFA and participating in the CHIC program is part of our recommendation s when we sell a pup, and offering health guarantee's for 2 years, as well as supplying the new owners with references they can check on US is a courtesy I think is important in developing good relationships, not to mention its a good business practice all around.  I wish you luck with your boy...
On another note does anyone know why a breeder would "Plan" a double sire mating?  I just saw that a kennel I am familiar with had a "Planned" breeding of a female with 2 different dogs.  I keep trying to figure it out, or what the rationale would be but it escapes me.  It seems strange to me.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 05:26:52 pm »
it is unfortunate for your newf, but it seems your newf is well loved.
remember, no matter the testing, it is not proven CHD is strictly genetic or "in the lines" out of every litter you can have two that wont pass ofa.
you can have disastrous results with cleared up and down both sides.
DIET and Environment play just a huge a role, and somehow i doubt they will ever find a marker for it.
there are dogs who wont pass ofa, who run and gait and function perfectly well until the natural aging process is there.
it is in us humans to,
if they can find a cure for dogs they will humans.
limiting gene pools to much is a pandoras box and one  i believe is already opened.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 06:19:24 pm »
That's too bad....  Willow is the 1st breeder dog I have ever had - all my other dogs have been rescues or have just been given to me for one reason or another.  It was very nerve-racking...  It is just so hard to know and there are so many breeders....  I really researched.  I am happy with my breeder and I pray that my willow will be just fine with no problems...

I guess you could post on all the newf boards about the problems you have had....  I know when I was looking into getting a dane I was on every dane board I could be on.  In fact I was seriously thinking about getting a dane from Gentle Giants and it was the numerous posts on the messages boards about all of the bad experiences that kept me from adopting from there....  At least you would be able to get to the people who are researching... .  Also I know that someone put an ad in the dog section requesting people to contact them if they had adopted from a certain breeder....

Hope everything turns out good,
Timmie

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 07:17:08 pm »
Breeders are supposed to be licensed with the USDA. You could try calling them and see if that gets you anywhere.
RIP former BPO

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 03:37:38 am »
it is unfortunate for your newf, but it seems your newf is well loved.

Very very true.  Hi Sar! Nice to see you here!!

Unfortunately, barely any laws exists to stop this person from breeding, and there are no laws saying health certs must be conducted.  Anyone can breed.  You do not have to be licensed.

I agree that it seems your Newfie is very well loved.  We got our rescue boy (almost three now) from a puppy miller who surrendered it to a supposed rescue person (A Hunt Corporation person, long story basically puppy mill on top of puppy mill, etc).  To make a long story short, after trying to do something to stop the false rescue group who almost killed the poor fellow, to trying to stop the Hunt representative, to trying to stop the puppy miller...We realized we had to stop.  Nothing can be done unless you go at them as a group. 

This link can provide more information.  It's a sad state of affairs. 

www.nopuppymil ls.com

Luvmenewfs