Author Topic: Advice on passing Canine Good Citizen test w/Pyr?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Advice on passing Canine Good Citizen test w/Pyr?
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:35:08 am »
Binky and I just started a class for the CGC test.  I was really looking forward to doing this as I would like to volunteer w/her.  However, I am not sure she will pass!  She freaked out when we got to the class and didn't want to go in and she seems to forget every training we've ever done.  She wouldn't even lie down.
Does anyone have any advice?  I have been practicing commands w/her at home but you can't use treats during the test so I don't know if I should practice w/out treats here too?  I know there's a Pyr on here who passed this and am wondering if Binky is just being a Pyr or if this is not what she's meant to do?  Thanks.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on passing Canine Good Citizen test w/Pyr?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:50 am »
Lily passed it when she was 8 months  ;D
It was really easy I thought BUT I can totally relate to freaking out factor. When Lily is very stressed while we are in new places she drools and would not sit or lie down. I think this behavior can be related to a strong guarding instinct but I am not sure about it. I have tried Rally training in the park and it was totally hopeless.

The best thing to work on (with any dog, not just Pyr) is to go different places (pet stores, parking lots, parks) and practice simple commands with distractions. It will take a while but will be worth it ;) When I went to the pet store for the first time to practice sits and downs it took Lily about 15 min to come down and look at me. As soon as she did I gave her "sit" command and she listened.  :) After a couple of times they will learn to follow commands even with all the craziness outside  ;D

Good luck with Binky!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:38 am »
Lily passed it when she was 8 months  ;D
It was really easy I thought BUT I can totally relate to freaking out factor. When Lily is very stressed while we are in new places she drools and would not sit or lie down. I think this behavior can be related to a strong guarding instinct but I am not sure about it. I have tried Rally training in the park and it was totally hopeless.

The best thing to work on (with any dog, not just Pyr) is to go different places (pet stores, parking lots, parks) and practice simple commands with distractions. It will take a while but will be worth it ;) When I went to the pet store for the first time to practice sits and downs it took Lily about 15 min to come down and look at me. As soon as she did I gave her "sit" command and she listened.  :) After a couple of times they will learn to follow commands even with all the craziness outside  ;D

Good luck with Binky!!!

Thank you- I knew someone here had a Pyr who passed- it gives me some hope! Everyone has been pretty doubtful that we can pass which is really discouraging.  It is just annoying as it seems like no one thinks much of me as a trainer/owner and/or much of Binky's intelligence! I will definitely try taking her in public to do some training. 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:09:33 am »
Little hint for you...You can always put treats (something VERY inticing) in your pocket and rub your fingers so they have the scent to "encourage" positive behavior from Binky.  It's NOT cheating  ;)!
Also, like Lily's post said, practice, practice, practice in places with many distractions! 
Good luck!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:41 am »
Little hint for you...You can always put treats (something VERY inticing) in your pocket and rub your fingers so they have the scent to "encourage" positive behavior from Binky.  It's NOT cheating  ;)!

Yep, that's what I do before going in the ring! I do feel like a cheater though :( oh, well...
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13:51 pm »
Cool - Lorim2 and I started CGC classes this past week. Lori is taking Lanie and I have my ever wonderful Bailey. Once Bailey gets her CGC I would like to consider taking one of the Pyrs thru the class- At this rate, it may be Piglet. I am thinking that the younger the Pyr the better. I would love to take Tug, but he is such a knuckle head that I am not sure if we would ever get too far. He is wonderful in public but he could care less about sitting when told and his recall is really bad.
Good luck and keep us posted. We have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks. I am fortunate because Bailey is not totally treat motivated. Most of her training was done with out treats.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:22:13 am »
Glad to hear your not giving up on Binky,,You didn't say how old she is??? but what ever the age..get her out in public..pet stores are great..and while I was training Magic in the early days we also visited Kmart.Walmart. Home Depot.drug stores..

What ever you do..make sure if you want to use a store for training  ck with the manager 1st. most are quite willing when they know what you are trying to do as long as you have control of the dog and use a vet or bandanda to clearly show Binky is IN TRAINING 

I will never forget what going into Kmart the 1st time did to Magic..being a bouvier..and his herding instincts as strong as they are..it was terrible that 1st time..it was a Saturday morning in Kmart..people and kids everywhere..go ng in all directions...i t really stressed him out..not to mention the slippery floors..

I learned quickly to start slow and go to places when they were not at their buisest..and we worked up to busy...

Now Magic could go anywhere...

Good Luck and let us know if we can help in any way..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:14:53 am »
We have been working our way through Obedience Classes as well.  Jadis is the wild one in our house but totally went submissive and shy when we went to out first class - After 2 rounds of classes she is now a pro.  We even managed to beat out some little labs with "puppy-push ups" on our graduation day.  The Instructor was shocked since Malamutes are known to be a little stubborn and not quite as obedience focused as the little labs.  Needless to say we were quite proud of our girl.  I am sure Binky will settle in and do a great job.  I to feel like it is cheating to keep my fingers smelling like treats, but our pups are learning and little reminder of what is waiting for them when they are done is not so bad.  Good Luck and we hope all goes well for you - I am sure that if a malamute can out do a lab in puppy pushups a Pyr can pass the CGC Test!  Have FUN!  No worries all will be fine!

Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:14:33 am »
Cirra has also passed her CGC, Therapy Dog and Dog Scout tests.  As I remember Binky is a young gal which may have something to do with her behavior.  Pay attention to what she is trying to tell you with her behavior.  Cirra is three now and most of the time she acts as a Canine Good Citizen and Dog Scout however still has her moments.  I would just encourage you to enjoy spending time working with Binky and passing the CGC test will come in time.  Dogs do not need to be perfect to pass the CGC test.  They need to do the things they are supposed to do on the day of the test.  And with Pyrs - well you never know.  I remember one CGC test when this extremely well behaved pit bull would just not down after several attempts.  The dog did not pass that day however the evaluator encouraged to the handler to try again.  I don't know however my guess is that the dog did eventually pass.  If treats work with Binky I would continue to use them.  She is still learning.  I do think that the guardian instinct in Pyrs is a factor with their training.  They need to watch everything around them!!!!!!!!  And that may not be you.  It seems that patience and humor are reqirements for training Pyrs.  Keep us posted on how the class is going. 

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:59:17 am »
The dog training club I belong to doesn't offer CGC classes until April 10, but Sierra and I are already signed up.  I believe they offer the test in early May and we are also registered for a TD test on May 10, so it looks like we'll have a bunch of new Good citizens and/or therapy dogs soon.

I know how you feel about your dog spazzing out.  Sierra does all of her training naturally at home without being told.  As long as she's in the house.  Once she steps outside though, all bets are off and in public she such a butt!  I am also taking her to places such as Petco and busy shopping malls.  I keep her favorite treats handy and use lots of them to keep her attention on me.  If people want to pet her I have her sit or I have them make her sit before they touch her.  I ask them that if she gets up they immediately stop and have her sit again, so she gets the idea that she needs to do this in order to get pet.  She's so thick-headed it's taking some time, but most people are more than willing to do it once I explain why and they are all for helping a dog learn to behave politely in public.  A lot of them actually thank me letting them help!  Don't worry, keep working on it and Binky will do fine.  Now I just have to convince myself that Sierra will do fine too!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 09:42:08 am »
Behavior is totally situational.  I don't consider a dog to have actually learned a command until they can perform it anywhere.

If I were going to train a dog for that test, they'd be going out in publc every few days for hours.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua