Author Topic: Say hello tooo.......Zima!!  (Read 18973 times)

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Say hello tooo.......Zima!!
« on: July 31, 2005, 05:57:13 pm »
Hi ...... We are the newest members to BigPaws... so I thought it would be nice to introduce our selves! My name is Nicole and I am the proud mommie of Zima Ashi. Zima is an Akita of course, with a beautiful personality! I was givin Zima by her past owners who rescued her from a pet shop. I was wondering if any of you Akita owners have any tips for me as a new mommie. She is so scared to go outside and of people! She is great with my children but doesnt get along too well with other dogs! So Thanks for your time and tips and hope to chat with you all soon!!!!
Nicole

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Say hello tooo.......Zima!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 05:58:21 pm »
Welcome, you will love this site. Zima is beautiful!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 06:05:25 pm »
Welcome to BPO indeed. Zima is a gorgeous girl! I look forward to seeing more pics of her.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 06:39:55 pm »
Okay i see how this works here are some more pictures of my Zima!!! Thanks for your responses!!!
Nicole

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 08:28:23 am »
Thank you Jabear and luvmymal ...... you've made me feel at home!!!!!
Nicole

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:19:11 am »
What a pretty girl Zima is and a special welcome to a fellow akita lover!

I'm sure you'll find lots of good tips and ideas from folks smarter than me as well as all-around great puppy support.

I've had a little experience with fear issues with my smaller dog, Oni, a shiba. Zima may need some extra socialization to help her get over her stranger fears ... Oni has a lot of fear issues (our akita, Joji, doesn't have a shy bone in her body). Although it hurt me to see him so fearful of nice people and new situations, one of the best things we did was expose him to a lot of new things anyway. Before he got to a panicked state, I would put him in a sit position and treat him like we were doing obedience training. It also may not hurt to have treats with you to give to strangers (or friends) who can, in turn, give them to Zima - pretty soon Zima will think everyone loves her with treats. As to Oni ... he has gotten a lot better - he may always be reserved around people he doesn't know, but at least now he doesn't totally freak out when a stranger walks by him.

Again welcome!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 01:11:04 am »
THanks everyone!!! We went to petsmart today and got her some new yummy treats and I am going to give my all to this big sweet baby I have !!! She has been doing so good!! I was so happy she took to my children so well!!!! I was lucky that her last owners had trained her pretty well!  She knows how to sit, lay down, shake, and I am teaching her how to stay. I was wondering if putting her in a training program with me would be a good idea?? I know she already know some things but maybe if we learned them together would help us both?? What do you guys think? Also what should I do about her wanting to fight with other dogs!! I want to be a responsible owner?
Nicole

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 01:20:21 am »
She is gorgeous!.Doggy classes are a God send!!!...Not only do you get to learn with your dog but the socialization is priceless!!...If all else fails, get a private consultation with a trainer & you should be offered good advise!...good luck!

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 08:23:45 am »
You should definitely go to obedience classes. Even though she knows what to do, the classes are are really for us humans, so we know what to do. ;-)  I think it's particularly important with the "not for everyone" dogs, like akitas. As responsible owners, we need to know how to establish and maintain control. Sounds like she need some special training with her dog aggression.  A good trainer can help you teach her what is and isn't okay plus help you learn how to handle her in tight situations. ;-)
As someone mentioned earlier ... going to obedience classes is just a lot of fun. You'll have a great time going with your girl. :-)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 08:40:12 am »
Hi Nicole! Zima is a honey! You will find TONS of advice here from REALLY knowledgeable people. These people seriously know EVERYTHING about dogs! And, you'll have a good time and become a total addict. I'm serious.  I now have to sneak onto Big Paws because my boyfriend is like, "Um, honey. You have a major problem!" My name is Nicole, too, and I've got a Newf mix named Cabeza. He's awesome!
WELCOME!

Offline thorthugglesworth@

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
    • Hustleware Clothing coming soon!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 05:56:01 am »
She's pretty
Vagabond, baby. I kicks that raw, boy. Rappers get stole on like the Pistons' ball boy...... Barack in '08!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 12:25:08 pm »
hi!  if it helps any, petsmart's classes helped me with my akita, axle, SO much!  when we went though he was about 4 months old and bigger than all the other dogs, which got him beat up by the older dogs... actually he got that from ALL other animals, still does, guess they have to initiate the "i'm in charge" thought to axle before he realizes his size.  the classes really do help, with behavior, and bonding, and i always had a blast in them!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Kirsti

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 12:28:22 pm »
Oh what a doll! Zima is presious! Welcome to BPO!

~K

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 11:31:14 pm »
i know this is an oooooooooollll lllllllllllddd ddddddddd topic, but zima's mom just posted on TinyTracks, and said that poor zima has been missing for 2 1/2 years, so i guess something happened not long after this was posted.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:34:18 am »
OMG! That is horrible! :(