Author Topic: Ear infections  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Ear infections
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:14:15 pm »
Dolly is on antibiotics for ear infections in both ears currently. I just had the vet re-fill the meds on Saturday because the infections came back. We finished a 2 week course of antibiotics about 2 weeks ago, and the infections seemed to be gone. But I guess we were wrong. Anyway, my question is this. We've been doing ear drops every day to keep the ears clean, which is working, but the infections still came back. How can we get rid of them for good? Obviously antibiotics aren't effective forever, so any tips?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Lyn

Re: Ear infections
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 02:31:47 pm »
Bubba and Lola both get waxy buildup in their ears. We thought it was bacterial or yeast. My vet recommended using apple cider vinegar and water. Mixed 50/50. It worked great so I use it monthly now to clean their ears. Beware though if her ears are raw it will sting.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:32:26 pm by Lyn »

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:27:05 pm »

I just went through this with Bryce and Freya went 2 weeks drops ,cleaning you name it with Bryce it was food freya she had infection. Then after they were both cleared up Bryce got a yeast infection. Milo is the only one who has been lucky!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:24:16 am »
Thanks so much guys. I'll try everything you said. Dolly doesn't seem to be in any pain from the infections, but we gotta get them gone! Thanks again!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:43:45 pm »
I've seen that recipe before and have heard it has very pos results.  I'm just leery of the staining aspect. 

Odin is floppy ear and had a nasty infection that lasted 6 months during his 2nd yr.  By 2.5, he was cleared up and they smelled good -although he now HATES to let me clean them.

WELL the other day on our monthly bath, I put in our cleanser and squished around.  When I wiped the outer canal,  my nail nicked his ear and it led to a topical infection just inside the canal.  Poor baby.  I didn't know it right away-the shaking shaking jingle jingle (a mastiff shake cannot go unnoticed so repeated shaking becomes a bit, errrr, irritating).  I thought we got water in the ear but upon inspection, saw the scratch he had managed to rescratch and it stayed moist. 
I always feel bad for his ears.   

Does anyone have a relatively easy to make or inexpensive wash that I could try to wash out his ears that would break up the wax but require less rubbing?  No staining, though!  Anything would be helpful!
karma is kewl!