Author Topic: how old were your pups when you let them out all night  (Read 4968 times)

Offline TLK

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
how old were your pups when you let them out all night
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:15:10 am »
Elli May is now almost 10 months old and we still crate her at night. I was just wondering when you all quit night crating?
TLK
Mom of Six kids a nice blend of skin and fur
Wife to a dh who is also a nice blend of fur and skin. He's an Animal!! hee hee

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: how old were your pups when you let them out all night
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:34:32 am »
Depends on the dog,Max our 3 year old is uncrated at night but our 8 year old Cocker is crated at night.

Max is trustworthy except the occassional get in the trash mood :P  Buddy will run rampant and wake everyone up all night.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:23:17 am »
Well, we do things just a little different. We were able to let the dogs come inside and sleep all night (not in a crate) without supervision and not messing anything up when they turned around 2 or so. But it depends from dog to dog, I agree. Last weekend was the first weekend that I was able to let them sleep inside and actually go sleep in my own bed too! Usually I sleep on the couch right next to them just in case. But they are such good girls now!  :)
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:24:21 am »
Yep, it's all depends on the dog...I have never crated Lily at night. She goes to bed at 9 p.m. and sleeps until YOU wake her up, LOL! Without moving  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:36:37 am »
Harley was about 1.5 years when she wasn't crated at night and 3 yrs when she wasn't crated during the day. She is 4 now(will be 5 in June) and we still have to child proof the fridge or else she will get into it. We would still crate her during the day but she knows how to get out of the crate. Other than the fridge raids she is fine not being crated.  ;D  ::)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:41:41 am »
Champ and Winston were only crated at night until their were potty trained.  Then, they each got their bed at night, but it's in our bedroom.  Both of them are angels...as long as we are home.  HOWEVER, they both were little chewing devils when left uncrated when we were not home.  Champ, who is 2, hasn't needed to be crated for the past 6 months, but at our last attempt to give Winston some freedom (while we were not home)ended up with a chewed carpeted stair...so Winston's back in! 

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:21:52 am »
I stopped Crating Clifford at night at about 4 mos. He was bugging me to get out of his crate every 2 hours or less. One night in frustration I said " fine try out of your crate." He laid by the back patio door (coolest place) and slept all night. He's 6 mos now and fine out of his crate as long as I am home. Sometimes I crate him and sometimes not when I leave home. When not crated he gets most of the shoes out of the closet, he opens the door himself, has chewed up the newspaper, and chews on the entry rug.
Annie our Jack Russel is 8 years old now and still gets crated every so often. She will chose to sleep in her crate if I'm rolling around too much in bed and disturbing her sleep.

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »
Never used a crate and never needed/regreted it. We have only one cat crate here, to take care of cat if ill, and I once used it with my smallest foster (he was something hin/pappilion mix, 2 mo old (size about 1/4 of a cat), and with my big paw pack I just worried that somebody can accidentaly step on him at night. He liked that crate from the first moment and had a great nap there during the day, and also got all toys there... 
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:15:59 pm »
i dont crate 2 of mine
porter was fine till h got to 6 months then he had to go in a crate cuz he's driven by his nose and feasts while we're asleep(he worked out how to get into the cupboard with my noodles in it and all he knows how to beat the locks on his food)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 01:25:48 pm »
I have never crated mine.  Jake and Cody were grown when I adopted them and Max was 5 months old.  They have never had an accident in the house at night.  ChiChi was crated only when we were gone in the daytime, until she was 4 months old, but always slept with us at night, from the time we got her, at 8weeks old, so she never had an accident at night.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:31:37 pm »
About a month ago Remy stated sleeping on my bed, he's 11 months now. I don't leave the door open, but I doubt he'd leave the nice comfy bed lol My room isn't, erm, the most tidy place and he leaves everything alone, so I would trust him in the house. We've been leaving him home alone (for about an hour at a time) even since he was around 6 months.
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »
Kana started with us (4 months) crate & potty trained.  He always has slept in the room with us (not on the bed)and I think it was about a year that we had the door open in the room.  At times he still got into stuff at night (sleepwalking? ;) )  At about 2 he went through the whole, "I need my independence, leave me outside ALL NIGHT!" but now he is totally fine in the room.  On the bed for about a half hour and then on the floor until we wake him up in the morning and then it's, "HOW DARE YOU?  DONT YOU KNOW THAT I AM EXHAUSTED THIS MORNING!" ;D
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 03:23:13 pm »
My two have slept out of crates since about 11 months. They have thier dog beds in our room so they are happy to sleep on them.  

But we still crate during the day. For some reason I am terrified to leave them out all day.  I just know that I will come home to a ruined house. haha

They are in thier crates during the day while we are gone and out the rest of the time.  It very much depends on the dog.  I know that if bell was left out all day and night then she would open the fridge help herself to some snacks and I would come home to no food!  And you just cant do that to a pregnant woman!!!! ;D
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:39:05 pm »
Zita is always out at night, but she sleeps on my bed so she is monitored.  Sparky stays in a pen at night so nobody squashes him.  We have had Wally about a year and she still tries to chew fabric, so she is crated at night unless hubby is home from his night job.  The other dogs are not interested in getting into things so they have never been crated overnight.

Before they get let loose all night, I let them out a few times with decoy objects to see what they will do.  I can spy on them from other rooms with two laptops running Yahoo Messenger, wireless internet, and a digital camera. 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 06:11:08 pm »
My dogs hardly move at night. They usually knock out on the bed, but will move if I want them to or if they think there is not enough space. They just go to the floor then. They can leave the room, because the bedroom door is open for the cats to come and go (I don't like it, b/c I have roommates, but the cats will rip at the carpet if not). Riley has left a few times to sleep by the front door, b/c the flooring is cooler in the summer. They don't get into anything at night, though. Riley had a couple of accidents while potty training, but that's it.

During the day, they are baby-gated into my bedroom. I'm sure Riley is reliable now, though he gets so stressed when I leave that I think the routine of baby-gating them is calming. Sadie is probably reliable, but I'm not ready to try yet. She went through a stressful event that made her a bit destructive at one point, though she's very well behaved in general and doesn't act like that now, so it worries me a bit. We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:13:06 pm by macybean »