Author Topic: good dog books  (Read 3555 times)

ann

good dog books
« on: August 06, 2005, 09:45:49 am »

i love dog books i just read dog is my co-pilot i can't say how much i loved it i would recomend  it to all.....and for multible dog houses who moved my bone is great....next on my list is if bones fell from the sky...anyone have any good recomendations .............. .

ann

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: good dog books
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:56:26 am »
I just finished "How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren.  It gives you a lot to think about.  I think I will pick up the "who moved my bone"  if I can find it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 06:48:49 pm by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 12:08:29 pm »
There is a really good author named Jon Katz who writes about his dogs. I have read A Dog Year : Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me and liked it, and he also wrote two other books about his dogs: The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family and The Dogs of Bedlam Farm : An Adventure with Sixteen Sheep, Three Dogs, Two Donkeys, and Me

One dog book I have on my to-be-read list is What the Dog Did : Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner by Emily Yoffe. I have read her writing on msn and she is very funny, and the one excerpt I read online was hilarious.
RIP former BPO

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 01:37:28 pm »
dog nutrition i like "Give your dog a bone" by Billinghurst.. ..very good info. 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 06:38:40 pm »
I think I will pick up the "who moved my bone"  if I can find it.

DixieSugarBear - I just saw "Who Moved My Bone" at PetSmart today...  I don't know if there is one near you, or if they would have it, but I just thought I would say.....

A couple other good ones are "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller, and "Don't Shoot the Dog - The New Art of Teaching and Training" by Karen Pryor
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 12:41:35 pm »
I want to get "who moved my bone."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 06:45:49 pm »
An OLD fun dog book is "All the Dogs of My Life" by Elizabeth Von Arnim.  It is her autobiography (quite an amazing woman) told in the sequence of the dogs of her life (her pomeranian period, mastiff period...etc.)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 06:49:58 pm »
Thanks grumpybunny, I will pick it up at PetSmart this week.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 09:57:34 pm »

i love dog books i just read dog is my co-pilot i can't say how much i loved it i would recomend  it to all.....and for multible dog houses who moved my bone is great....next on my list is if bones fell from the sky...anyone have any good recomendations .............. .

ann
My very good friend who sells pet supplies also says those are all very good books!...I'll be in soon to borrow them!...lol!

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 10:31:35 pm »
We are mostly dog people, BIG DOG people, so a book about a big cat , a BIG CAT, an Bengle Tiger might appeal to some. Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, is about a boy's survival in a 30' lifeboat with a 12' tiger.

If you are interested in training animals, this is a must read!

Offline vizslamaniac

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 10:34:18 pm »
 Anyone who owns a Vizsla should also get a copy of Versatile Vizsla by Marion Coffman. I learned sooo much from it.  Right now I have two books that I read just to know more in general: The Absolute Beginners Guide to Showing your dog (my current "bible") and Succesful Dog Breeding By Walcowicz and Wilcox - a book passed on to me by my dogs breeder when he retired.

Oh and I also indulge in Bark Magazine! Love the photos and all the upscale shops they advertize. Lots of big dogs features too.

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 05:01:44 am »
Thanks Vmaniac--It has been so hard to find a V book ;D