Author Topic: Dog Park Blues  (Read 8478 times)

Yaz

Dog Park Blues
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:02:35 pm »
Gosh, it's getting harder and harder to have a good time at a dog park with Guinness. He's now five and a half months old and big, which makes him a magnet for ill-mannered dogs with a chip on their shoulders. I'm not sure which is worse - the little dogs that are aggressive towards him or their clueless owners who do not correct their dogs behavior. Guinness has been attacked three times in the past two weeks by little dogs (two jack russells and one mini schnauzer). This evening, we went to yet another dog park and two little dogs immediately started with their agressive, in-your-face barking at Guinness. He froze, uncertain as how to proceed, which makes me feel so bad for him since he enters the park as his usual friendly, easy going ready-to-play puppy self. I called him to come to me and the moment he started to move the two little dogs sprang into action. I have zero tolerance for this so I immediately snarled, growled and yelled at the dogs to back down and away from my puppy, which made their owners defensive.
"Oh, they don't know what to make of your dog - their being protective of us",they said, spewing out the usual excuses that are given. I said politely that Guinness has been attacked by three small dogs and he's still a puppy so it's my duty to protect him from ill-meaning dogs. Another small dog owner piped up "Well, the dogs are probably scared - have you seen the paws on that thing?" Grrrr! Nothing gets my blood boiling more when a fellow dog owner referrs to  my dog a "THING" and their own dog as "our baby". So I replied "THAT THING is a wonderful good natured puppy and I don't want his temperment to change because of unwarrented aggression from other dogs."

Honestly! I can only imagine how it would go over if my Saint Bernard  started growling, lunging and barking at other dogs! Yet, it's considered justifiable when smaller dogs do that to bigger ones. I've owned and trained dogs of various shapes and sizes and I do not factor size into their conduct - whether it was my 10 pound Norfolk terrier or my 50 pound Australian Shepherd, no unprovoked aggression towards other dogs was condonned.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm becomming utterly frustrated at the incompetence of so many dog owners. I would forgo the dog parks entirely, but they are almost a neccessity for teaching canine social skills. I made a promise to myself many years ago that I would not allow any puppy I own to be attacked or bullied because I didn't want to offend the owner. I just wish I didn't have to be put in this situation so frequently.

lalackyums

Re: Dog Park Blues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 10:08:47 pm »
i used to take my large-breed dog to the dog park every weekend, but i got tired of this type of thing. because of his large size (120 pounds), all the little dogs want to dominate him and attack him as soon as he walks in. my dog is the most mellow, and easy-going dog in the world, but when the little dogs start the fights it's me and my dog that get the dirty looks! people just assume he starts it because he's big! i wish there were a large-breed dog park...arg  >:(

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 10:08:47 pm »
Poor Guinness!  I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experiences at the dog park.  It makes me so mad when people make excuses for their dogs bad behavior.  I hope you and Guinness find a nice, reasonable place to go play!  :)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 10:10:57 pm »
I met a trainer who always carries her squirt bottle with her, and she will use it on her dog, other dogs, and on rude people. It's agressive, but she says it works!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 10:21:15 pm »
Poor Guiness! I am so glad that you stuck up for him and yourself. He is lucky to have a protector as good as you are! We stopped going to the dog park for that reason. People are dumb and so are their rude, untrained, misbehaved dogs. I can't tell you how many times Bear has been attacked by small dogs...his ankles and tip of the tongue have the marks to prove it. People get strange when faced with large dogs and often react that way when they have no idea what to do.  >:(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 10:59:16 pm »
Wow, I am stunned by yet another story such as this. I am really beginning to see how blessed I am to be part of my local dog park where we see almost none of this.
As to stopping this type of behavior from happening again. i know the spray bottle works well or a good squirt gun. A shot right in the face once or twice will set things right. Personally I think the "masters" should be sprayed for not controling their dogs.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

BabsT

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 06:23:06 am »
To be honest, I avoid dog parks at all costs, my dog has never been in one and never will.  It is a great concept but very few people are actually responsible with their dogs in those parks

The other part is that you dog is  young pup and strange adult dogs shouldnt be playing with young pups...it could do a lot to his confidence while growing up.  Also because you have the big saint people with blame you not their out of control barking football running around

I was fortunate enough to have a neighbor who got a bull mastiff pup around the same time and I have a fenced in yard so that was my dogs play mate

I feel that dogs should play with other dogs but it should be dogs their own age and kinda around the same size so they dont get hurt

I am sorry you are going through that with your boy

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 11:35:24 am »
Yaz I wish you lived closer to me. Guinness and Bubba are only a week apart in age. I think they would have a hayday together.  :)

Right now Bubba's only playmate is a Toy poodle. lol And let's just say the poodle doesn't like him. She's older and just not in the mood to play much anymore. I don't know anyone else that has a pup Bubba's age or size for that matter that would even tolerate his puppy antics. My neighbour has 2 dogs but they have already showed aggression to Bubba so that's out of the question.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 11:55:43 am »
There is absolutely NO WAY I would ever take my dogs anyplace that I knew numbers of dogs of unknown training, breed, and aggression status would be running loose.

I simply cannot imagine how that could ever be a good idea.

TOOOOO many uncontrollable (pun intended) variables for me.

There are lots of other places to walk your dog where there will not be multiple dogs running loose.

Dog parks scare me to death.

Yikes.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 12:00:49 pm »
not to mention the diseases and viruses floating around.  EEEEEEEEEEGADS! 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 02:14:20 pm »
We don't have a dog park around here, but the one where my sister takes her dog in Colorado has a separate area just for small dogs and one for all dogs. I think their intention was so the little dogs didn't get hurt, but  maybe they need one just for the big dogs so the big dogs don't get picked on!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:00:45 pm »
I have found that the dog owners have a more difficult time letting their dogs be 'dogs'.
There is a pecking order that animals, and people, have a tendency to follow.
Those that are obnoxious are shunned, those with personalities, are noticed, those with personalities and a sense of style, are remembered.
Our dogs learn from us, thrive from our attention to them, and strangely, take on our personality traits.
We live through our companions, be they canine or human.
At our dog park everybody remembers the name of the dog, not the owner.
We are protective, vigilant about their treatment of others, and know when to take our dog away.
After all, we have bad days, so do our dogs!
The bottom line is, are they having fun?
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 06:32:55 pm »
I found out a few weeks ago that there is a dog park like 10 minutes from our house and at first I was so excited for zoey to be able to run around and make friends, but so far our experiences have been negative. The first time we went, all of the dogs were small dogs, and zoey doesn't really play with small dogs because they are usually afraid of her, so the whole time she was just running around sniffing everything and didn't actually get to play with anyone. The second day we were excited because there were a bunch of big dogs, but when zoey finally got comfortable enough to play a great dane named oreo came along who was a total bully. He found it fun to run around and jump on other dogs until her knocked them down. He did it to a 14 year old dog, whose owners were upset and left, then he did it to a small dog whose owner was upset and left, and then he did it to zoey not once but three times before we could get her out of there. I was SO pissed. His owner saw, and knew people were pissed, but didn't do anything about it. He kept walking over with the leash like he was going to take him out, but he never did. And when we were there, a newf came, looked around, and left. I think it was because of oreo. I think we are going to give it one more time, but if it doesn't go well that'll be the end of zoey going to dog parks, and if oreo is there and i see him knock down any dogs, I am going to tell off his owner and not care what he thinks since I won't be going back.
RIP former BPO

Offline jewels

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 10:34:36 pm »
hi there i just wanted to say that i agree with you about the dog parks as i have a 10 moth old golgen retriever  rotti cross and she is a big dog ..who  loves other dogs but i find that most of the little ones are the worst as they bit at her legs and if she desides to lay down they will nip at her ears and the owners do nothing and when you try and get they away they say oh he just playing...they really are not hurting her and that is really not the point..if your dog acts like that keep them on the leash

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 11:24:06 pm »
Great pics everyone!!!...We have a dog park opening near here soon...The 1st in this area...I was undecided as to whether we would go or not & had been weighing the pros & cons until this thread...We are going!...Because it is brand new to the area, I want to be one of the people that sets the bounderies for what is acceptable & what is not...I know quite a few other responsible dogs owners so I will enlist their help in setting the standards...I understand  what is acceptable & normal in establishing "pecking order" & what is not...I also understand that different classes of dogs speak different languages as far as play is concerned...I know my breed & my dogs fairly well for being pretty new to the "dog game"...I am looking forward to meeting new "dog people" & interacting with them...I'll let ya' all know how it goes when the park opens...I am not afraid whatsoever to speak my mind when I know what I am talking about...If you can believe it...lol...I think like minded people should go to these dog parks, bond together, & speak up collectivly when ignorant owners & badly behaved dogs are present!...& of coarse, try to educate!