Author Topic: Tea anyone??  (Read 2826 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Tea anyone??
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:15:33 pm »
Well the Terrible Two were at it again!  I leave them alone for about 2 minutes, go into the living room to see whats on TV, and what do I see?  Moo and Naja chomping on a Tea Bag they must have pilfered from the covered compost bin!  The tea bag had been emptied of its contents half of which were all over the floor and Moo, the other half, I would assume they had eaten!  Big Jerks!  >:(

So I guess what my question is, is Would there have been enough caffiene in a used tea bag to hurt them?  Should I just keep an eye on them over the next few hours?  Don't worry about it, it'll be fine?  Or contact the Emergency vet right away you silly Ninny, those dogs are going to go into Cardiac Arrest!?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
Re: Tea anyone??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:19:15 pm »
hmm.. not sure... I do know tea has more caffeine than coffee, but that's only by pound, not by cup.... so I'd be worried if they had gotten into a lose leaf tea container... but I don't really deal with tea bags... my first assumption would be that they'll be fine.. so I'd say just keep an eye on them. I'm sure you'd notice pretty soon if something was up... oh, I'm assuming this is black tea -because green tea has no caffeine, I think...
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:21:11 pm »
Yeah it's Black tea, Tetly to be exact.  ::) :)

I take my tea pretty strong, so I'm pretty sure that the tea left in the bag would probably be pretty weak, but I'm a bit of a worry wart.  ::)

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:31:28 pm »
I gotta say my boy eats coffee beans all the time off the floor, chocolate and any other harmful substance he can get his paws on!!  I swear! sometimes i think that he is suicidal!!!  :D :D  hes not, and our pyrs are pleanty big to be able to deal with a little tea (even with their sensitive digestive tracks ;))

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:42:35 pm »
I know I'm a worry wart so I called our emergency vet clinic for you.  They said that you should make the dogs throw up with 3 tablespoons of peroxide.  If that doesn't work after 10 minutes, do it again.  Coffee and tea are listed as toxic to dogs on some websites.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I did call the Emergency vet, and they told me the same thing.  The dogs should be just fine, but to watch out for Vomiting, diarriah (sp?), etc.  So far so good though, it's been over an hour and they're into their bed time routine.  They sleep with me, so at least I'll be close by if anything changes throughout the night.  But again, I'm pretty confidant now that no harm will come of it.

Lesson Learned?  Keep something heavey and loud on top of the compost bin!   ::) :D

Modified to add:  I also forgot to mention that Naja is a sneaky girl and likes to slurp up my tea from the cup when I'm not looking! 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:24:05 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »