Author Topic: number of dogs allowed??  (Read 15739 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
number of dogs allowed??
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:20:35 am »
Hey, does anyone know of a thread on this board or some information somewhere where I can find out about dog laws in different areas? I feel like we've had discussions like this in the past here. I know that in some places by law you are only allowed to have "X" number of dogs in your home or else you need a breeder's license.

I live in redneck Georgia where there don't seem to be many laws about how people keep dogs, which is good for me since I have 5 of them! But I am seriously considering moving out west and I want to make sure I can keep my babies.

Sooo... where is everybody, and what are the dog laws in your area?
Thanks... you guys rock. ;D

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: number of dogs allowed??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:08:59 am »
i know that in MA all the towns are different. In framingham you can have 4 dogs with out a kennel license.  If you have more that then you need  to go to court and ask permission.  We have more than four here, but no one has had an issue. Then again, i have not licensed them with the town because in my opinion it is another way to get money, and i need all i have right now.

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:13:27 pm »
Come to ALASKA!

I live 35-40 miles north of Anchorage in the suburbs ( ::)) -  Truly I live in a what is considered a higher end neighborhood with "covenants" We are allowed 3 outside dogs.  All of mine are house dogs so its is not a problem.  Outside the little subdivisions you can have as many as you want as long as you take care of them.  Couple of miles up from us are sevral mushers who are Iditarod veterans with LOTS of dogs that are wonderfully well kept - but a bit noisy during lunch.

Between Anchorage and here (the valley) we have lots of other multi dogs places. (again - breeders, mushers, etc!).  I don't believe the smaller indies need licenses.  Pretty much wide open up here out of the BIG city of Anchorage and even its outskirts are no issues.  The vet techs where we take ours all have 4-7 dogs intheir homes.

Just stay away from "snooty" subdivisions with crazy covenants and you won't have any trouble up here in the last frontier!

Marianne
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:35:40 pm »
I have been told for years that the limit in our county is 3 dogs, 3 cats, but I have never been able to find the ordinance.  I live in Longwood, FL, so this won't affect you moving west.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:55 pm »
For the city of Milwaukee, the law is as follows:

No more than 3 adult dogs and/or cats are allowed in any one dwelling unit. In single and 2-family dwelling units, a fourth or fifth dog and/or cat can reside if the owner/tenant has an animal fancier permit obtained through our office. The cost of the permit is $50.00 per year and is subject to an annual inspection of the dwelling unit. More frequent inspections must be allowed on a complaint basis. Animal fancier permits are not allowed in multiple dwelling units. Anyone violating this will be subject to prosecution.

It definitely depends where you will be located. I wouldn't definitely check the county and city websites of where you're interested in moving and it should be on there somewhere. ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 11:14:13 pm »
In Texas, It was two dogs and 1 cat or 1 dog and 2 cats.....no more than 3 animals total but that was in a regular single family detatched home in a neighborhood. 

In homes with acerage, the numbers increased.

In condos......de creases.

Then rentals always have their own restrictions. 

In Texas!  :)
karma is kewl!

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:31 pm »
Our town is with GTA(Greater Toronto Area). On the website of our town:
"Richmond Hill residents are permitted to keep up to four dogs and a maximum of six cats on their premises, unless the property is being used as a Licensed Kennel."

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 11:47:36 pm »
San Antonio, Texas, has animal regulations online in a huge pdf.  If you click the link on this page that says Current Chapter 5, it will download.  They allow lots of dogs on acerage away from other dwellings.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/animalcare/Chapter5.asp

Here is the main site for the ACC people here in San Bernardino County, California.  Beware the Quick Links dropdown; the first one is Adoptable Pets.

http://www.sbcounty.gov/acc

Please note the huge difference between what is written in any ordinance and what happens in real life.  When I caught the injured, lost horse in my yard on a Saturday, ACC for SBCO, a county larger than many of those little northeastern states, told me they could send someone out to get it on Monday, or for sure on Tuesday.  

The horse was standing in the yard with me holding a dog leash looped around its neck, so that wasn't practical.  Town limits is just a mile away, and we were going to hobble it down there where someone from the local Animal Control was ready to come pick it up.  The local AC people rock.

Luckily for the horse, we found the owner in a few hours after hubby called everyone we knew locally and asked them to call everyone they knew to see if anyone had lost a horse.  

It is a good thing my boss was so understanding.  Not everyone would believe someone calling in "sick" because they had to hold onto a horse.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:11:52 am »
Lola-that makes sense w/ the acreage and #s. 

We had a situation near us recently where a lady had > 200 poms!  It was sad!!! 

We want one more big paw (newf! big slobbery can't get em out of the bay newf!).  We live in the country but we are renters since we are still testing our love for coastal living....wann a ride out a few hurricanes first!  lol.

karma is kewl!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 12:14:52 am »
In my city - League City, TX - it's 4 animals total.  No matter what species.

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 12:40:58 am »
In my country there are no limits - all dogs must be licensed and if you have 6 or more - you must register them at the state veterinary service on top of local mnicipality which issues the licences. But from other hands - if neighbours start to complain, there might be problems as they will find something that has not been done right. :) But if your dogs are well trained and cared as well as your neighbours - no limits here.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 05:29:29 am »
Wow, thanks for all the input you guys. Looks like I am going to have to be careful! Honestly I wouldn't mind paying an extra fee to keep all my dogs with me. Kinda like how I have come to expect paying HUGE security/pet deposits whenever I move into a new rental. :o But I am excited about the prospect of leaving the southeast, at least for a while. It's gonna be hilarious when I drive my van full o' dogs across the country!! :D

I'll be doing some research! I want to find a place that will be just right for me and the pack. :)

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 09:32:54 am »
Wow, thanks for all the input you guys. Looks like I am going to have to be careful! Honestly I wouldn't mind paying an extra fee to keep all my dogs with me. Kinda like how I have come to expect paying HUGE security/pet deposits whenever I move into a new rental. :o But I am excited about the prospect of leaving the southeast, at least for a while. It's gonna be hilarious when I drive my van full o' dogs across the country!! :D

I'll be doing some research! I want to find a place that will be just right for me and the pack. :)

Hope there are lots of photo stops of that trip/move!  :-)  Maybe Bpo stops so we can take pics for you!
karma is kewl!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:41:39 am »
i hate animal bylaws... i really do...
We are lucky to know the SPCA officer, and Animal control wont dare come to me again... grrrr!
we are allowed 3 dogs and 3 cats per house hold. OOPS. nobody call on me plz  :D
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

chaosndestruction

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:12:14 am »
i hate animal bylaws... i really do...
We are lucky to know the SPCA officer, and Animal control wont dare come to me again... grrrr!
we are allowed 3 dogs and 3 cats per house hold. OOPS. nobody call on me plz  :D

I still don't think they can count Reba as a dog...she's like a mini Diva not a dog!