Author Topic: Blue Great dane owners  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Blue Great dane owners
« on: February 23, 2008, 07:26:33 am »
I have been researching the blue dane (i have a white one know) and i am being told by breeders that blue dane's personality and health are diluted because the blue is a dilutent of the black.  Can anyone help me with this? I would like a blue dane, have dreamed of one forever...but i am more conserned with the health issues ( i know that the breed in general has health problems, but they are saying more than normal) so i was wondering what your experiences are...

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Great dane owners
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:57:53 am »
that is what i thought as well. One breeder i talked to said that i needed to be at ring side for 3 years, then research more extensively on 5 different bloodlines, and then maybe...if i did all of the homework that i could purchase a puppy.  I know that there are alot of caring people out there...but come on.....i just wish people realized that not everyone is from "craigslist" if you know what i mean...(for instance... great dane for adoption because i didn't realize how big it got.) I have done lots of research...i have seen blue's but  never talked with the people because so many others already did so they are sick of talking with people (plus they are handlers too)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:30:43 am »
I have a blue dane! :D His name is Connor. I certainly don't find him to be diluted in personality!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D
As for health, let's see... when I first adopted him, he was very sickly. I got him from a shelter when he was about 6 months. He had terrible digestive problems and skin problems that started after he had been home with me for a few days. (It was probably a result of the stress of him living in a shelter for over a week.) Soon after, he needed surgery on both of his eyes- he had cherry eye issues due to deformed third eyelids. Honestly I am not sure if all this had to do with him being blue or not, I see a lot of Danes with the eyelid problems.

Around that time, I asked a lot of people about skin problems in blue danes, and I got mixed opinions. Connor's skin is AMAZING now, I never would have guessed he would heal so well, but it did take a lot of food trials before I found something that agreed with his system. I feed him California Natural Lamb and Rice, and sometimes I switch him to the Chicken and Rice just to offer him a slight variety. He does really well on both. :)

So, in conclusion, yes he has had his share of problems, but I don't regret taking care of him through it all- not for a second. I love the big guy. He's an amazing and loyal friend to me. A Dane in every sense, I just don't see how anyone could suggest a diluted personality!!! Out of the five other Danes I have shared my home with for various periods of time, Connor is just as much if not more of a character. ;D And really the vet fees I was faced with were minimal, I don't think I have spent over a thousand dollars at the vet since I've had him, and we're going on two years I think. :)

Good luck!!!
Here's a pic of me and my darling blue man. ;)

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:43:14 am »
OOOHHHH how beautiful@@@!!! he is soo happy.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:03:38 pm »
While I do not have a blue Dane, I have a blue Italian Mastiff.  When researching the breed I saw no mention anywhere about this dilution having any effect on health or personality. 

Below is one of my favorite sites on dog coat color genetics.

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/ColorGen.html
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua