BPO Breeding Forum > Breeding Questions & Information

What health tests should be done before breeding?

(1/2) > >>

Saint and Mal mom:
Both my dogs are spayed, so I won't be breeding dogs any time soon (and by soon, I mean within the next like 10 years!) but I'm interested in maybe breeding dogs someday.

If I were to get a female or male from good show lines, healthy, meets the breed standard, and were to show that dog as well, what are the minimum health tests you recommend getting done on the sire or dam before breeding?

(not only breeders can answer this question! if you were to get a puppy from a breeder, what tests would you want the parents to have had done on them?)

VdogLover:

--- Quote from: Saint and Mal mom on February 26, 2008, 11:13:37 am --- what are the minimum health tests you recommend getting done on the sire or dam before breeding?

--- End quote ---

It would depend on the breed. What breed are we speaking of?
While for most breeds OFA Hips & CERF is a standard many breeds also have further genetic testing that should be done.

VdogLover:
 If the breed your looking into is a CHIC breed you can find the required as well as optional testing listed.

http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/breeds.html

Edited to add... What tests are required and option is decided by the national parent/breed clubs health committee. The required/option testing can change over time as problems are seen within a breed. If a breed is not currently a CHIC breed it DOES NOT mean it doesn't have genetic health issues it simply means the Breeds parent club has not requested to be part of CHIC. Also remember some issues can not be tested for so knowing lines/pedigrees is as important as testing.

ptkennel:
On a giant breed, I would test the following:
hips
elbows
eyes
heart
thyroid
and possibly more more depending on the dogs breeding lines.
250 to 300 bucks around here plus the thyroid test (not sure on that one yet)

People Whisperer:
Thyroid test runs around $120 here (in health clinics)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version