Author Topic: Sierra might have a future as a therapy dog after all...  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Sierra might have a future as a therapy dog after all...
« on: February 28, 2008, 03:00:22 am »
Since Jeff has had many surgeries to regain use of his left arm (it was paralyzed in a dirt bike accident four years ago), he has been going to physical therapy 3 times a week for almost 4 years now.  When we first got Sierra he brought her to the PT office to show her off to the therapists.  Well, he talks about her and they have been bugging him to bring her in again, so I brought her yesterday morning during his appoinment. She was a hit and I was so proud of her.  After about 5 minutes of her usual "OH MY GOD!  PEOPLE!  PET ME!  PET ME!  PET ME!" excitedness, she calmed down and allowed anyone to approach her and she greeted them like they were her best friend in the world.  She didn't even react to the strange sights and sounds of the machines and she was gentle and respectful of anyone who touched her.

It's funny, she was so excited she couldn't stop moving around, like she didn't know who to go to next, yet there was one lady who was very unsteady on her feet and when she approached Sierra, my wonderful dog immediately sat down and was stock still except for her tail wagging and her licking the woman's hand.  Then she layed down across the woman's feet with her eyes closed and enjoyed a belly rub.  As soon as the woman was out of her reach again, the energy cam back and she was all over the place again.  The woman said she had always been afraid of dogs and she was suprised to see a big dog with such manners (Manners?  MY dog?).  She said she never knew they were so loveable.  It was a good feeling to know my dog might have a hand (or paw  :D) in maybe turning around this lady's fears.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:13:18 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

lorim2

Re: Sierra might have a future as a therapy dog after all...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:07:11 am »
Awwww...thats such a great story!  What a good girl Sierra is...What a great thing she did for this lady...That makes me feel good inside.  Give her a big hug and kiss!!

Offline willowtree

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:08:38 am »
That is such a great story!  Any plans to bring her back soon?  Maybe she can make it a regular thing  :) 
Maddox-- My big black something mix puppy

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:06 am »
Awwww, Sierra is a natural!  I think that TD work would be wonderful for her and for your entire family.  What a sweet, sweet girl!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:10:32 am »
That is such a special quality!!!  It's something I am certain cannot be taught.  I stand firm by my findings that AAT (animal assisted therapy) is one of the MOST effective and underused therapy out there.  I have worked as a recreational therapist for 10 years and have seen the power of animals with the elderly (even alzhiemer's patients), the physically disabled (even clients with severe brain injury)and most recently clients with a variety of mental disorders and personality disorders. 
We currently 'house' a dutch rabbit ("CC"), a black pug ("Bella")and our newest Bullmastiff ("Winston").  All of them have the potential to move perverbial mountains with all of our clients!!!
I say get the testing done.  It will be the most rewarding work you will ever do with your dog!!! ;)
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:42:01 am »
Awwww, Sierra is a natural! 

That's what I was hoping for.  I always thought she had the perfect personality for it, she's still just has SO much energy!  We are working on it and after this I'm really going to buckle down and get hard core about her training.

Melissa - I am planning on getting her certified, but I've see the test and she's not even close to ready yet!  But now that I've had a preview of what's to come, I'm getting excited about it all over again!!  And I know that even though it's all about Sierra and "her" patients, I will get such an immense amount of satifaction out of what she's doing for others.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 05:52:32 am »
Sierra's a good girl!  I don't know about other TD dogs, but Jackie is a little angel at visits and also during testing. She's a maniac in public otherwise. She knows when it's time to "visit".  Maybe Sierra would be fine in the training, too!
LOL! The same story here Juju! Lily is chocking herself to death when she sees other dogs on our walks but at the obedience class or tests she is always near me off leash with all the distructions and dogs...tricky-tricky dogs!

I think Cirra would be a wonderful Therapy Dog  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:13:25 am »
Hey, it's worth a try.  the worse that can happen is she diesn't pass and we work on it and try again.  At least I'll know what her strengths and weaknesses are...  Can you use treats during the test?

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:49:59 am »
No it's not mean, as long as you make up for it afterwards   :D.  Anyway, I'd like Sierra to realize that she must do what we ask regardless of whether she getting a treat or not.  Anyway, I just printed out the testing requirements and it says you can't use food or treats during actual therapy visits.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 09:37:44 am »
OK.  Sierra and I registered to take the TD test on May 10!!!  Keep your fingers and paws crossed!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:53 am »
Good luck!  Sounds like you'll both do well!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:11:53 am »
Sierra sure sounds like a natural..and I agree with who ever said something about you can't train it into them..

You can train obedience..but connecting with people and instictively knowing what to do with some is not something that can be taught..

I am so excited for you guys..who are you testing with??to get registered..

Magic and I are with TDInc but we have also been members in Delta and TDI

If you can get  a CGC test before hand it will also help you find strenghts and weaknesses.

Good Luck and keep us all posted..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 09:18:54 am »
I am testing with Therapy Dogs International.  I have to travel an hour to Harrisburg, PA, but if she passes it will be well worth it and I've already promised her we'll stop at McDonald's for hamburgers on the way home   ;D  I am starting a CGC class on April 10 with my dog training club and that might work out really well, because she'll be in the working frame of mind with the weekly training classes happening at the same time.  Looking over the requirements, some things she has down to a science already and other requirements, well, I cringe just thinking about them.  LOL.  The parts where she has to not react to another dog in close proximity is the one we're really going to struggle with I think...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 02:45:58 pm »
I know what you omean about that part..another dog...but in reality..it isn't that they can't react..or course they can't act agressive..but if they react and you can redirect and keep them under control is what they are looking for over all..

Good luck and keep us posted..
Tricia and the fur kids