Author Topic: HW Treatment  (Read 2703 times)

bigdogs@5501

HW Treatment
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:34 pm »
Need some help here. Dolly, mom to the famous six, has just completed her HW treatment. I got to pick her up and bring her back home today. She was having some breathing issues earlier and they gave her a sedative injection. She also has enough sedatives for the next 10 days and is on an antibiotic.
I have never ever had a HW positive dog and she is my first to take thru the treatment.
Heres the interesting part- she has always been the most wonderful sweet dog ever. No issues at all with the other dogs, but today when we got home, she attacked Tug. OK - my thought is she is not feeling good and well he is a knucklehead and is a bit rough and maybe she was warning him. So then a little later I take her out side and she tried to attack Zoey. Not Good - Zoey is alpha and will not tolerate being attacked. Thankfully Zoey listened to me and backed off.
I even had the fleeting thought that I had brought home someone elses dog- this is completely out of character for Dolly. She has always been a part of the Pyr pack.
She was breathing a little hard when I brought her back in so I gave her the sedative pill and she is now in one of the bathrooms with a blankie- I checked on her and she has that drugged out doggie look - so the pill is working. She was also trembling when she stood up but I am not as worried about that, I know she has had a rough couple of days.
So does anyone else have any experience with HW treatment? Also curses to the jerk who let her get the HW's in the first place.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: HW Treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:34 am »
Sorry Ive never had one test positive either but it sounds like she is just really out of sorts with the world..I have heard that the treatment is harsh on their systems..

I would let you vet know and also cut her some slack till she is feeling better...after lots of TLC..

Hope she's feeling better quick..

Tricia and the fur kids.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:38:47 am »
I'm sorry Paige, I don't know either.  :-\  My thoughts are that maybe she's just overwhelmed & miserable from the treatment, and so soon after her puppies went on to new homes ('cept for Piglet, YAY!  ;D), so I'm thinking that it's probably just a lot for her to take at one time.  I would also call the vet in case this is a side effect or something that they need to know about.  Otherwise, she may just need to be kept by herself for a little while until she feels well enough to cope with being part of the pack again.  Or, do you think that Miss Dolly would be comforted by the 6 pack's pappa or is she too miserable for any company?  I'm sorry that you're both going through this.  :(  Darned HW's anyway!!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:39:33 am »
I will call the vet this morning- I am thinking that she is just feeling so bad that she is lashing out. I have her isolated and will for about 10 days or longer. I can tell that she is just miserable feeling and hoping that she is just acting out because she feels miserable.. Surprising enough she didnt go after Bella or Bailey, just Tugs and Zoey. And Zoey is really easy going and always has been. Hopefully someone else who has gone thru HW treatment will see this today and can offer some advice

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:09:27 am »
I wish I could help with some info but have never experienced HW. I have been told that the treatments are really harsh though and I can image she must be feeling miserable right now. Call teh vet but I don't think I woudl worry too much about her attacking. She is probably just really grumpy. She could be going threw Post partum too....lol

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:35:40 am »
Oh no! Poor Dolly. Poor Paige too. I've never had to deal with treating HW but just had a thought. Call or 'e' Marnie. She's dealt with a lot in her Rescues. If I remember correctly, there have been two in the last few months.