Author Topic: Not parvo??  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Not parvo??
« on: February 29, 2008, 03:41:22 am »
OK this is going to take a bit to explain so please bare with me :/

Tuesday, we pulled 8 puppies from death row that were scheduled to go into the gas chamber. #1-6 were littermate brothers and sister boxer/GSD mixes. #7 was a little sheltie mix, and #8 was a chocolate lab. All were around 14 weeks old.

1-6 came in very underweight, scared, but active, bright eyed, and eating and drinking well. Noticed some vomitting when first taking out of the car but attirbuted it to car sickness.

7 and 8 were fat, happy, mach 5 with their fur on fire and eating and drinking everything in sight.

Thurs afternoon, #1-6 stools all became watery, biter metalic smelling (I instantly think of death in a cold dark room when I smell that smell..it smells like every animal control 'isolation' area where all the dogs are dying.) 1 puppy developed a mild fever and was very lethargic, 2 puppies began vomitting. Everyone was at least somewhat lethargic/depressed. Of course, like most rescuers the first instinct is PARVO OH GOD!!! so I immediatly began following even stricter quarentine procedures for all 8 puppies. Wed night, no one wanted to eat, but when I made "tea mash" (Pepermint tea, caro syrup, camomyle tea, pedialyte, beef stock, vit c, yogurt, ground up raw chicken and rice) I was able to get them all fed. They were drinking well, and we started them on antibiotics, and gave the two who were vommiting injected antibiotics, pepto, and subq fluids. I then ordered Parvaid since I was out and I have always *Sworn* by it.

Friday morning #1-6 are all pooping, but all their stools are solid/mushy, no where near parvo poop. they are active and playing. Fever is completely gone. Appetite is back and they are eating chicken, rice and puppy food eagerly, and drinking water/pedialyte. One puppy is still vomitting some but not much.

Fri afternoon #7 begins vomitting and gets a fever, we up his dosage (we had him on preventative dosage before) and start treating him more aggressively. Now I am beginning to wonder if it's not Parvo, as I have never seen parvo dogs not with bloody/metalic/watery loose stools (They all have mildly soft stools but still formed at this point) Then... puppies 1-8 ALL start sneezing.

Fri late evening #8 gets hit, and begins vomitting regularly and goes off food and becomes listless with mild fever. Increase her dosage and begin subq fluids.

So the rate of symptoms are:

Vomitting FIRST
Letheragy/Depression
No appetite
Loose stools (very light colored but not 'jelly' or bloody)
Fever goes away, appetite comes back, stools firm a bit, and then everyone is sneezing.

At this point I am thinking not Parvo, but maybe Giardia/Coccidia mixed with kennel cough? Those are all common enough infectious diseases found regularly in animal controls.

I won't get the results of their stool sample until monday morning as our shelter vet is out of town. They are still all on antibiotics and monitored fluid intake along with vitamins and extra proteins.

Does this sound like anything anyone recognizes? Has anyone seen Parvo with symptoms like this? We were all so sure it was Parvo until their stools firmed up and they are eating/drinking/playing on their own- I have never seen a parvo puppy this active.

Anyone have ideas?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Not parvo??
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:59:59 am »
The things I think of are WORMS and Coccidia.  I would worm immediately and add pumpkin to their food as well as yogurt. Even if they have been wormed I would worm again For coccidia they need to be on Albon  many vets will prescribe even without results from the stool yet as it is so common in puppies.  I believe Panacur(wormer) for several days is also a treatment for giardia.

With sneezing etc the thought of distemper should be in the back of your mind but hopefully not.  Sounds like you are giving them great supportive care.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:27:28 am »
I've been holding distemper far, far, far in the back of my head. They are sneezing, but I have not seen any eye discharge or redness in eyes and noses are dry rather then wet and runny... still the very thought makes me sick to my stomach. Parvo I have beaten before, distemper I have not.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:24:44 pm »
Since they are such young puppies maybe Corona Virus? That would explain the depression, loss of appetite, vomiting,& diarrhea. Wouldn't explain the fever or sneezing though, so it would make me wonder if they have more then one issue going on as in Corona and kennel cough?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:27:41 pm by VdogLover »

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:51:26 pm »
Since you are also doing rescue I wanted to share with you something that we are using in this area for coccidia. Its off label but works extremely well. It is the Marquis paste for horses. 1 cc per 10 pounds. The tube is not cheap, usually about 200.00 a tube, but its a large tube and again the dosing is 1 cc per 10 pounds. It goes a long way. Also panacur works for coccidia but it takes it longer to resolved coccidia than the Marquis and of course albon. Sounds like coccidia to me but I would hate to say that with out being there and it be something else.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »
Sorry all for the delay in response, it has been a hectic week.

it is Parvo. They also have URIs and coccidia. So far supportive care is going well, only the lab puppy has had to be hospitalized. keep us in your prayers please- haven't been sleeping just administoring fluids/antibiotics/anti nauseaum and bleaching everything in sight. Cody is sick too although looks like just an intestinal bug. Vet bills are sky rocketing though, I expect to be around 4k by the end of this :( I have no CLUE how I'm going to pay for it all.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets