Author Topic: Arthritis?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Slave2dane

• Gnawer
  • My Baby Brutis!
    • View Profile
Arthritis?
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:12:04 am »
Hi there :)

Does anyone else's dane have arthritis?

Brutis started getting arthritis when he was probably 7.5 years old after he bumped his his knee off a running board on our semi truck.  He had a small tumor type thing removed off his hip like a month before.  He had gotten an injection over his back end for an infection he had and got a bump after that wouldn't go away.  So I assumed it was his hip. 

He has been on metacam since then and it works for the most part.  We only have him on 10ml in the summer and 20ml in the winter.  Was just wondering is anyone elses dog has arthritis or if they are on metacam to.  If not metacam what do you all do to make things easier for them? Supplements, food, bedding? 

Hope to hear back :)
Proud slave to...
Brutis - Great Dane
Pharoah - King Shephard
Sabbath & Pinky - kitties
RockZilla, KooKie and Baby - green iggies
Myrtle - RES turtle
Caterpiller & Komatsu - Hedgehogs
Sweet Pea - Veiled Chameleon
Bonnie,Clyde, Jaquline - Cichlids (fish)

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:19:06 am »
i used to have a friend (believe it or not) that had 2 irish wolfhounds and they were both around that age and both suffered from arthritis.He took them to get acupunture done, that helped them loads it wasnt that cheap but nothin is anymore.
Aftr a few times there you could really see a big difference in their movement

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:55:44 am »
I don't have a dane with arthritis (yet) but my husky mix Keiko has it.  She's almost 10 and started being stiff legged and limping around 6.5 yrs old, too young to start in my mind.

Luckily for her, it's not too horribly bad yet and all she gets is 1000 mg of glucosamine/chondroiton a day. (2 500mg tablets one morning and one evening).

I have heard good things about metacam though.  It's a fairly new drug and the last vet clinic I worked at had just started using it shortly before I left (2.5 yrs ago).

Large breed dogs tend to get it younger b/c of their size and the amount of weight, as well as wear and tear on their joints.  Gunther is only 3 now, but I'm sure w/i a few years he'll start showing signs as well, which is why I try to keep as much stress as I can off his joints (he doesn't sleep or lay down on hard floors, no jumping or leaping off the ground, eating off a raised feeder, etc)

I hope the metacam is working for you. 

Offline Ida

• Gnawer
  • Great Dane Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:48:15 am »
One of our Rainbow danes had arthritis.  He was afflicted at about 8 years old.  We treated him with a minimal dose of predisone.  He suffered from allergies and the pred did double duty!   Samson was gradually rendered unable to move about much.  He spent his last days in the living room (no stairs).  We carried him outside everyday so he could lay on the lawn and enjoy visitors from the neighborhood! Sam passed away short of 11 years.  A wonderful merle mantle!  Our Calhoun is very much like him too!  It's WONDERFUL to see that merle face again!!  ;)
Ida