Author Topic: Allergies questions *Updated w/video"  (Read 3663 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Allergies questions *Updated w/video"
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:52:34 pm »
I will need help from anyone who’s dog/dogs have/had allergies  :)

After I switched Lily from raw to a kibble she got a couple of little bumps with red area around it in between her two toes on each front paw. She didn't lick it and it didn't seem to bother her at all. She was on grain-free Nature's Variety (chicken for 4-5 months, then rabbit and then duck).

She had problems putting on weight due to Lyme’s and super pickiness. I decided to put her on kibble with oats and rice. She has been eating it for about a month and now she is licking one of her paws. It has gotten red and somewhat moist.

I called my vet and they recommended seeing a dermatologist.
Since it is just started and she has no other symptoms (her coat and skin are great) I was wondering:

1. Do you have to see a dermatologist or can you send a blood sample to the lab to test food allergies?
2. How much does the test cost in your area?
3. What are the most allergy causing foods?
4. Could it be something else? (I don't think it's a hot spot as I had dogs with it and I know how it looks)

Any ideas and suggestions are super appreciated  :)
I will post a picture later on
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:09:53 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Allergies questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:39:50 pm »
Soooo, I called the derm office...$195 consultation and $195 INITIAL test :o :o :o

I think I will wait and see what happens. It's so minor and I AM KNOWN for worrying too much anyways ;) :D 

It could be from grass or something, I hope :-\
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Allergies questions
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:52:54 pm »
Ok, I tried taking pictures but they looked blurry. So I made a short video. In the end you can see those couple of bumps in between her toes. What do you guys think?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i256.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/lilyolesya/Foot.flv">

It's not moist and she didn't seem to lick it today.
Maybe it's not allergies? ???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:25:31 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Allergies questions *Updated w/video"
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:32:22 pm »
If she didnt step in anything like a chemical or something... but looking at the location of the redness i doubt it,its deep within her paw,I would tend to think allergies, most of the time food,i looked at the ingredients in the Natures Variety Chicken Formula,looks like a really good food BUT to many ingredients,would be hard to narrow down with an allergie situation,I would try something like California Naturals or along those lines,something with few ingredients,It would be easier to narrow down if not have a turn around with the allergies all together.Its worth a try,The Californa is less in fat and you mentioned trying to put some weight on her but you could add the salmon oil to give the extra fat thats going to be missing from the switch,or other things for fat.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »
I can't do raw anymore because she doesn't eat most of the meats >:(
I can't do cooked because she would pick through boiled rice and beef for two hours to get the beef out  >:(
She only wants kibble now. I guess I should find one protein source and see what happens  :-\

I didn't realize that bumps were signs of allergies  ???
I was hoping for something else :(
Mary W. Crane

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:56:21 pm »
Actually I would try something like Dr'Scholls foot powder first - the foot area is likely to be damp and moisture can cause irritation Once you bring her in from your walks- dry her feet and then sprinkle some powder tween her little toes!

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »
How old is Lily?  A friend of mine has a Black Lab that shortly after he turned 5 years old, he starting having bumps, like hives on his feet and on his stomach (sometimes it wasn't that bad, other times he could barely walk because it hurt him so much).  My friends were baffled and so was their vet.  They called the breeder and he told him that their dogs father suddenly starting having allergic reactions to grass at 5 years old.  My friends took this new info to the vet, and low and behold, their big guy was allerigic to grass as well.  He is now taking daily pills in the Spring, Summer and Fall to help his allergies.  Since Spring is slowly starting in, maybe it is grass that is causing her bumps on her toes?  Just a thought and something to ask the vet.   
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 10:16:14 am »
Her tootsies look better :) She stopped licking it and it's not so red anymore.
I did talk to my vet about this in October. She did mention that it's probably seasonal allergies or reaction to a carpet cleaner. Because she doesn't have any other symptoms I will let it go...maybe she will outgrow it (whatever it is) :-\
Mary W. Crane