Author Topic: Quick update on Cody the abused dobie  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Quick update on Cody the abused dobie
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:37:07 pm »
Sorry for the delay in updates- I have parvo puppies here that are very sick and I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off with no sleep!!

Cody is doing better. He is 73 LBS now, from just over 40 pounds on intake (I think 42.. not sure would have to look at his notes) and he still has some weight to gain. He is starting to come more out of his shell and even got up on the bed with us the other day which he had normally refused to do. he LOVES to go on long walks, and walks so polietly, never pulls and listens to the faintest commands (like a very gentle flick of the leash and he will immediatly come back and sit next to or infront of you). I really would like to see Cody go to an obedience performance home. He has already learned sit, heal, finish, down, take and bring. Very minor little things but he is SO happy to have a job and he is REALLY REALLY good at it- he has never once not listened to a command, or been too distracted when you called him.

Cody's a bit sick right now- I am praying it's nothing but a stomach bug since we had the Parvo in the kennel (although he is in the house and does not use the kennel yard). He's not eating as well as he has been and he's been a bit mopy and has some loose stools. There's also been bad storms so hopefully it's just that, but if they don't firm up by tomorrow it's back to the vet he goes!

Hopefully he is having surgery on the 12th to have some of his nipples removed (they are dead) and to get neutered. His last two surgical consults have all resulted in the vet saying he is too thin to go under.

Here are some comparison pics taken about a week ago.

This one is particularly bad. The top one, my hand is litterally cupped around his waist. My fingers almost meet. The bottom one, my hand is compeltely flat and doesnt touch either side.

His "beauty marks" We are using scar treatment (actually preperation H which I used to use on horses' scars and has always worked well) but we are unsure if the hair will ever grow back here, or on his thigh where he was shot.

In mid-belly-rub-roll-over :)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

angelsmama

Re: Quick update on Cody the abused dobie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:24 pm »
he's looking sooooo much better! hope he feels better soon

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:55:07 pm »
I just finished reading Cody's entire blog.  I cannot believe my eyes!! Thank god he found you!!!  Knowing people like you gives me more hope for humanity.  Thank you.  I also want you to know that this has given me the idea of maybe fostering dogs in my own home and is making me look for dogs in Cody's position (one that would be put down or that a "loving family" wouldnt want to adopt because of health problems).  Thank you for being you and giving the rest of the world hope.

Susan.

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:09:40 pm »
congrats he's lookin so much better can't wait to see him in 6 months he'll look good as new

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:46:33 pm »
Absolutely incredible! Fantastic job! Good for Cody for hangin' on long enough for you to find him. Really, that is amazing.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:44:47 am »
Just amazing.  :) :) :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!