Author Topic: Please don't tell me what kind of dog I have.  (Read 16310 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Please don't tell me what kind of dog I have.
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:32 pm »
Last week I was standing in Petsmart with Maya, my 7 year old siberian husky. Maya is known to some as AKC CH. Kristari's Sugar Magnolia, WPD. She is about 39 LBS.

Here, let me attach a photo:

]

K, so I'm standing here with Maya and this woman walks up to me and says "Ohhh what a pretty dog, what kind of dog is that?" I answer "Siberian Husky". Another woman glances over at us. The first woman says "How old is she?" I said 7. INSTANTLY the second woman says "No she's not!"

<pause> did someone just really try to tell me I don't know how old my dog is?!

I said, Yes, she is. The woman storms over and says "Then she's not a husky. Shes too small. And her eyes are brown."

Patiently, I explained that siberians can have any color eyes, and that while blue eyes are very popular in the pet circuit, they are not very common in the show ring- more often you see brown. I then said that Maya was actually right in the middle of the standard for siberians.

She asked how much maya weighed, and I told her 39 LBS. She laughed and told me I had gotten ripped off by "Whatever idiot told you she was purebred. Huskies should weigh 80 LBS or more for a girl"

THEN....THEN.. . she tells me Maya isn't even the right color. Maya, of course, is a copper red, and apparently this woman was unfamiler with the fact that siberians come in multiple colors. You see, she is a breeder, and has been breeding huskies for several years now, and KNOWS... KNOWS that they only come in black and white with blue eyes.. and of course Maya's tail was too straight (Not curling over the back of course...) and her ears were too small, and she was too short, and etc etc.

So, I let her rave on and on about Maya, and finally I just said "Well, you know you must be right when you put it that way. I suppose I will call all of the judges that put her up WB, BOW, BOB, BISS, BIS and explain to them that I was hoodwinked and that she's really a mutt poorly masquarading as a siberian."

Has anyone else had someone that incredibly ignorant try to argue you down?!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:15:29 am by whiskeyandsake »

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Please don't tell me what kind of dog I have.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:44 pm »
Maya is beautiful! I would have loved to see the look on her face when you told her she is a Champion show dog! Gotta love them know it alls that think all huskies have curly tails!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:06:25 am »
Maya is gorgeous and so obviously a husky.

I don't think I've ever had people dispute me on any of my dog's breeds, but Nigel and Posey are constantly getting mistaken for min pins (I didn't realize min pins had so much white on them  ::) ).  I recently had someone say about Nigel, "a shiba inu, right?"  ummm........wr ong!  Nigel has also gotten mistaken as a basenji (better guess as basenji is in some lines) and Posey as a chihuahua, which I can kind of see b/c when her ears are back her head looks very chi.  In MN, they were mistaken alot b/c out there the rat terriers are farm/field/working types which look VERY different that Nigel and Posey's more refined show type.

I often get asked what Keiko and Gunther are, but no one disputes me on them and more often than not now, people guess Gunther correctly as a dane. It's funny, b/c most people think he's huge, but if I ever run into someone who shows/breeds danes, they think he's rather small.......lo l.  I like to think he's the exact standard.  ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:13:35 am »
I had a breeder of GSD ask me where I got my Belgian Mal???  I told her that in fact she was a GSD, but was a sable and she said "oh I always wondered what that meant on the registration papers."!!!!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:34 am »
I had to laugh reading this post!!  I have had so many people argue with me about Sierra being a purebred, or even being a Newfoundland.  She is petite 26" - average for females according to the breed standard.  But she is lean, not quite 100 lbs yet at 13 months old, and her coat isn't as shaggy as a typical Newf's coat should be.  My favorite making-an-ignorant-stranger-look-stupid moment was in Superpetz when a guy said what a beautifu Lab pup she was.  I said thank you and then stated she's a Newf, not a Lab.  He started arguing that he was a lab breeder for years and he knows a Lab when he sees one and kept insisting LOUDLY that she is a Lab.  That's when I started to get a little PO'd and just as loudly stated that I know what breed of dog I purchased and then pointed to Magic, our Black Lab who was playing with another Lab, and said "If you are such a successful Lab breeder, you should know that this is what they look like and if you are breeding Labs with as much hair as a Newf, then your kennel should be shut down because responsible breeders only breed to improve on their chosen dog breed according to the breed standard, not creating different variations of the breed."  Some woman was laughing at him behind me and he got mad and walked out in a hurry without saying another word.

And I had many huskies as a child, my mother bred them for show.  We never had an average sized female at 80 lbs!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:48:47 am »
Some of the most common reactions people have to Bodhi when I take him out:

"OMG, that's the biggest dog I've ever seen!!"

"Holy Cow...what is that?!?"

"He looks like a bear/buffalo/Wookie!!"

I've had several people argue about him being a Newfoundland.. .they insist he is a brown Saint Bernard, or a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  One guy told me he was a judge in dog shows for years so he knew that "there are no BROWN Newfoundlands!".  I told him to Google BRONZE Newfs and learn something, lol.   

Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:46:50 am »
that is kind of like my "giant rare dalmation" my white great dane jazmine is often a dalmation....a nd for some reason..titan in my avatar is a rottie??????? people really do fight you on these things. They swear that they are right...usuall y i just agree with them to shut them up..
although the all time was in NH this weekend.  I took titan out to socialize him more with people of all kinds and other dogs, and people just swarm around him.  that is fine, although...i do have other things i need to do today besides sit on the floor looking at muzzels for another of our dogs, and these people keep talking...to my back. I know it is rude, and i don't mind talking about him (as i am sure you can tell) but when i have things to accomplish for the day, it can be rather irritating!!!!!!!!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:05 am »
lol stella, that is great...i only wish i had the ovaries like you do!!!!  ;D  stupid people should be spayed and neutered!!!

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:18:28 am »
Good Grief...how could someone be so stupid and rude??  Would she go up to someone who was with their child and say "Wow, that is one of the ugliest children I have ever seen....I hope you don't love him too much or spend much money on him, because his ears are too small and his skin is the wrong color!" 
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:19:09 am »
My favorite was last weekend at petsmart with Cattabrie. While most folks will ask what she is, or comment on her "unusual" color (which anyone that knows danes knows it is not unusual at all) I actually had a lady from a rescue, no less, accost me with this conversation:

LADY "My, that is the poorest bred dalmation I have ever seen. I hope you didn't buy it."
ME "I hope she isn't to standard for a dalmation, considering she is a great dane."
Now I probably would have left it at that, but she couldn't shut up.
LADY, as she trails me going down the aisle "Well that is even worse, it is too small, the wrong color, and it's ears arent pointy and standing. I hope it was cheap."
ME, now losing whatever patience I ever had "Well, I'm sure you were small too, at 4 1/2 months, the color is a generally accepted merle, her ears are not nor will they ever stand up and be pointy as they are not and never will be cropped, and what I did or did not pay for her is none of your business. Now go rescue something and leave me alone, and when you get home hop on the internet and educate yourself before you make any more stupid assinine comments."
LADY, huffy now "Well, there is no need to be rude."
ME "Honey, you started it, I just finished it. Have a nice day."
Stella

Stella,  You're my hero!!  I wish I was as quick as you when people start in on me about how Naja is actually a White Lab, or White Retriever!  I just get all agumentative and B!tchy, then I leave with a bad taste in my mouth as opposed to feeling victorious.  Teach me!  Please!!!!   ;) :D :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:42:45 am »
I feel your pain! Only, I am at the mercy of the idiots, since Tani is a purebred mutt. I can't argue when someone INSISTS that she MUST be part pittie, or part boxer, or part GSD or part whatever. All I can do is keep repeating, "Well, we really don't know, and won't!" I have no snappy comebacks.  :-[  The only purebred I've ever had was my ex-husband's dalmation, and there was no question there. She was a breeder dump at the shelter because she had a malformed jaw, giving her a hideous underbite. She also had one giant black splotch right on top of her head, like a beanie hat. She was obviously not up to the standard for breeding or showing!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:54 pm »
Pffft. Some people are so dumb. I hate people that think they're right about everything. Maya is OBVIOUSLY a Husky. I hope you told the lady the breed standard for a female husky is between 35 and 50 pounds (I think).

By the way, she is so beautiful! I've always loved the copper red huskies.

I've never had anyone argue with me over Miles, but I have had people question me. Alot of people ask what kind of dog Miles is, and when I tell them he's a Great Pyrenees they respond, "Oh, is he a mix? I thought they only came in all white." Then I have to explain to them that only 1 out of 4 pyrs are all white.

Also, I have people ask me if Miles is a Great Pyrenees. I respond, yes, of course. Then they proceed to tell me he seems SMALL for a pyr. I'm like....ok. Seriously? He is only 8 months old first of all....and second of all he's 27 inches tall and 95 pounds. He is NOT small. ::)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 08:07:57 pm »
I bet the woman who was arguing with ya was so pithed that when she got home she went on the internet to back her self up and was like "oh".
Thats so funny, i would told her that i was mistaken and meant to say Akita lol that would have really angered her hehehe

Either way deformed,under weight and mixed with a chocolate lab lol Maya a nice lookin Husky
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:08:27 pm by arkydo »

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »
LOL LOL ok I got some PMs for more pics of Maya.  :D

enjoy! These are just what I had on this computer. Some are very old.

Young Maya... I think 11 months old or so.

After a show this is what she gets to do in the hotel room

out of coat and I think 1 year old at her first SHCA specialty

Six months old and playing with her doberdude Lance

The day we brought her home

3 months old? Dunno.

Year old?

This was at the same show... just don't remember which one. I want to say 2001 SHCA Nationals.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »
I LOVE MAYA!!!!  :-*
A lot of people think that Kana is absolutely NOT an Akita, but "you know, one of those...uhhh sled dogs..."  Yah, no sh#* dumba*&!!!  People think that he is a husky more often than not.  It's okay...hubby and I have an agreement that if people get "know it all" like this we fake that Kana is getting out of control and that he may "snap" at any minute just to see people get jittery!!!  :D
It's okay if people don't know what he is...that's why we got Kana, he was a Japanese Akita vs. a black masked much larger American Akita...

People suck!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita