Author Topic: I have a problem  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
I have a problem
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »
Ok, so Miles is too smart for me. He knows many basic commands. "Drop it" and "Off" seem to be his favorites. He will now INTENTIONALLY pick something up he shouldn't have because he knows if he drops it he'll get a treat. Now the logical thing to do would keep everything up so he can't get it, but we all know that's not possible! He'll find something! Also, he'll jump up on the counter AND on me because he knows if he gets "off", he'll get a treat. I'm no pro at this training thing, so I need your help! What should I do!? Should I stop giving him treats for those commands? But at the same time, I don't want him to stop listening when he does pick things up and jump on the counter, etc unintentionall y (if you wanna call it that). Help!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: I have a problem
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:09:10 pm »
Awwww. hahaha. Cuuuuute about the crowing like a rooster. hahaha

Well see, Miles will get something he's not supposed to have. I say "drop it" and then give him a treat when he drops it. Now I would love to ignore him, but the problem is, he can't have what he has.haha. And it is impossible to rip anything out of this guys mouth. As far as the "off" thing, I guess I could ignore him on that one....and just push him off. hmmmmm..... ???
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »
ROFL!  ;D  ;D  ;D  I'm sorry, I have no helpful suggestions b/c none of my pups has ever tried that one.  ha, ha!  All I can say is to give that smart boy a big hug for me and that's not helpful at all.  (I'm still laughing).  ;D  :-*  Sorry!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 06:28:10 pm »
Yeah, it is pretty funny when you think about it...but not when it's happening. hahaha.

Like.....he'll look at me, then take something off the coffee table, and drop it nicely after i tell him. I reward the drop it. Then two seconds later, he'll watch me....to see if i'm watching him...and he'll get something from in the bathroom, bring it out in the living room where I am, and stare at me...waiting for me to tell him to drop it. Now, if I never do...that's fine with him too, he'll just chew it up!

Then, sometimes he'll be so good....and he'll jump on me all of a sudden. I tell him off...he gets off...he gets a treat....then he'll try it again....and he gets another treat for off....hmmmm. maybe i'll just stop telling him off for awhile and push him off and ignore him.

As far as the "drop it" though, i'm at a loss.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Ally

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:29:22 pm »
Hi Samantha....I just wanted to say good luck! Beau is my first Pyr, and at only 4 months I've already noticed he's too smart for his (or my) own good. We had a Golden Retriever a year ago that just wanted to please us, so it's kind of a new world to find a dog that is as smart as (if not smarter sometimes!) their parents.

Unfortunatly, I don't have any advice to offer, but wanted to wish good luck to you!  :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:32:20 pm »
Hey, that's hysterical!  Miles is an entertaining guy & just too darn cute, isn't he?  LOL!   ;D

My son just suggested that you try gradually decreasing the treats when Miles does the "off" or "drop it" command, so that he doesn't get one every time he follows the instructions.  Maybe over time Miles will decide that he'd better come up with a better idea for getting treats.  Also, since he's such a smart boy, how about getting him to shake paws or something else just for fun that will get him a treat *every* time he does it.  Just a thought....
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:41:51 pm »
But it really is a catch 22, are you rewarding him for the misbehavior... or the "drop it"?
Generally when my dogs jump on me off command, they are looking for attention anyways. So a good stern "off", followed by a "sit", and then they get the attention they were seeking in the first place. But only when they are sitting calmly.
Stella

When he jumps on me, I'll tell him "off", and he'll go into a sit right after almost always.

I think I will have to start phasing out the treats. I just don't want to because he hardly listens when I actually WANT him to, so it makes me happy when he does follow my command. hahaha He will sit without a treat, (most of the time) if I give him the stare down, but that's about it. haha

Thanks for the suggestions ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:05:34 pm »
There are tons of ways to praise the dog besides giving treats. It has to be a surprise...one time it's treat, next tug of war game, next "chase" game or "hide and seek", then 5 treats, praise...so he never knows what will happen. That way he will find you interesting and will pay more attention to you and not just seek treats  ;)
Miles is doing a great job training you  ;D ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:58:28 pm »
He will now INTENTIONALLY pick something up he shouldn't have because he knows if he drops it he'll get a treat.

Oh boy, can I sympathize with this one! 

When I first started letting Ranger play tug-of-war, I would give him a treat for letting go of his toy on command, because I wanted him to learn to "give it".  At least that is what I thought I was teaching him. Apparently, I actually taught him the concept of "trade".

Now whenever I have something he wants (oh, say like... every dinner time) he will go find a toy and bring it to me so that he can "trade" it for the better "treat".  He will drop it and kind of push it towards me and dart his eyes back and forth between the toy and the "treat", like "Hey, check out this awesome pink bunny.  Sure is better than that potato chip.  Maybe we could work a little something out".  He thinks he is being subtle, but it is SO obvious.  Depending on what kind of mood I am in, I either tell him "good trade" and give him something, or "no trade" and deny him.  He doesn't try to trade forbidden items, though.

You have great advice from everyone else - I am just here to sympathize 'cause I am right there with you every night!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*