Author Topic: Rawhides  (Read 16951 times)

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Rawhides
« on: August 01, 2005, 01:38:11 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone gives their dogs rawhides, or the pig ears or such, and what are the pros (if any) and the cons. ???

Thanks.  

lins_saving_grace

Re: Rawhides
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 01:44:35 pm »
I love rawhides and beef chews.  But in moderation.  I'm not sure if it's a rott thing...but more than one or two a night and my girls have the squirts.

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 01:44:50 pm »
I am kind of curious about that my self. Those kinds of chew things can keep Spikes attention for a long time. He has the attention span of a goldfish.LOL
But I was told by someone a long time ago that raw hide can give parasites . Does anyone know if that is true or not?
Rachael and Spike

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 01:49:45 pm »
I just got my puppy pig ears and she loved them, but she did make a little bit of a mess with it, but out of all the chew toys she chewed on them the longest.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 01:56:36 pm »
No Rawhide here.

It is not digestible, it can cause a variety of problems from lodging in the throat and choking to intestinal blockages and impactions.

In addition, unless it is made and cured in the US it can be cured with arsenic.

Pig ears are fatty and cause tummy upsets to many dogs.

I prefer to stick with big raw marrow bones for my kids, but they are hard chewers.

They do love the bully stix, but they don't last very long.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 02:50:46 pm »
RedyreRottweil ers do you ever worry about your dogs breaking a tooth with the raw marrow bone?  Sophie is also a very hard chewer as well and she chew on them and sometime break small pieces off. I am always scared of her breaking a tooth...Should I worry about that or do the dogs know when they are chewing too hard?  She probably wont get another one for a little while thought..the last 2 of them have given her bad runs... which is a little weird...

Meg, Merrick makes a cow ear which I really like its almost like a rawhide but softer and Sophie will chew off smaller pieces.  It is not greasy at all and I think they are safer then rawhides.  Althought she still really loves the rawhides.. I watch her closely and only buy bones that say made in the USA.  They tend to be a little more expensive but at least I know they are a better quality product
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 02:52:41 pm »
and it really stinks.

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 04:08:31 pm »
That may be the anwer to a problem we are having here diarrhea!  She loves the pig ears, but sounds like they not be agreeing with her.  Thanks to everyone :)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 04:15:27 pm »
I don't like them because they get all gooey and stuff stick to them.  Plus Sanity gets them stuck in his back teeth and starts acting like he's choking.  Also, many dogs who're pushovers normally get very very posessive over a pig ear or rawhide.  In my opinion it's just asking for trouble.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 05:17:14 pm »
Red...... what countries exactly are you reffering to. when you say they might be cured with arsenic.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 05:37:47 pm »
RedyreRottweilers do you ever worry about your dogs breaking a tooth with the raw marrow bone?  Sophie is also a very hard chewer as well and she chew on them and sometime break small pieces off. I am always scared of her breaking a tooth...Should I worry about that or do the dogs know when they are chewing too hard?  She probably wont get another one for a little while thought..the last 2 of them have given her bad runs... which is a little weird...

Meg, Merrick makes a cow ear which I really like its almost like a rawhide but softer and Sophie will chew off smaller pieces.  It is not greasy at all and I think they are safer then rawhides.  Althought she still really loves the rawhides.. I watch her closely and only buy bones that say made in the USA.  They tend to be a little more expensive but at least I know they are a better quality product

I've not had that issue, Rachel, and I've had dogs chewing them for years. I'm sure it could happen with some dogs. My older girl has canines both top and bottom that are worn very short from chewing, but not broken.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 09:36:14 pm »
No Rawhide here.

It is not digestible, it can cause a variety of problems from lodging in the throat and choking to intestinal blockages and impactions.

In addition, unless it is made and cured in the US it can be cured with arsenic.

Pig ears are fatty and cause tummy upsets to many dogs.

I prefer to stick with big raw marrow bones for my kids, but they are hard chewers.

They do love the bully stix, but they don't last very long.

Raw bones for me too.

Rawhides make mine fart.

I get the parrowbones cut in half so the bone is like a big natural kong and they can lick the goop out.

They are an OUTSIDE treat (smelly and messy)

No issues with teeth yet.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 01:51:56 am »
Red...... what countries exactly are you reffering to. when you say they might be cured with arsenic.

Marit
Marit, I only buy chews made in the U.S.A....I know there are countries that cure their dog chews with all sorts of nasty things including arsenic...I found this out when Sammy was having loose stools quite alot & I was investigating as to why...I can't get my MSN search to work right now so i can't tell you the exact countries within certainty but as soon as I can get my piece o' crap evil 'puter machine to work correctly I will let ya' know. :)

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 06:40:28 am »
Puck had a bad experience with rawhide the first year we had him. He got the end off and was choking and gagging . I had to reach in and pull it out. He never got one again. My dads dog had one and he would not even go near it.He took one sniff and walked away.he..he
I want to try a bully stick though. Not me Puck ;)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 08:52:16 pm »
I love rawhides and beef chews.  But in moderation.  I'm not sure if it's a rott thing...but more than one or two a night and my girls have the squirts.

"The squirts!"

LOL
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner